Reptiles/Chinese water dragon not eating

Question
I have an almost 2 year old CWD that I recently moved into a large terrarium (5.5 feet wide, 5 feet tall, and 2 feet deep). The basking spot sits around 87F with a branch allowing her to go closer if need be. The overall ambient temperature typically sits between 77-83F depending on the overall temperature of my house. The humidity stays between 70 and 80% (I have a humidifier hooked up and also mist once or twice a day). Her basking bulb is a mercury vapor bulb, and the rest is lit by two 48" repti-glo tropical lights. I fed her right before moving her and her appetite was normal, but now it's been a week and she is showing no interest in crickets, when she is normally a voracious eater. She looks right at my offering and then closes her eyes. Today it seems like she hasn't moved from a ledge on the opposite end of the tank from her basking spot, although I've been at work so it might just seem like she hasn't moved. I can't find a concrete answer on how long a water dragon can go without eating? When/how should I force feed?

On a side note, her head sometimes twitches when she turns food down. I've read this can be a sign of MBD but I think I've been supplementing properly. I dust with plain calcium powder every feeding, and add a multi-vitamin with D3 once or twice a week.

Answer
Hi Jordan,

You mentioned that you just recently moved her and I suspect that is the cause. It is likely relocation stress. It does not matter how ideal the new enclosure is, the fact that it is new will cause stress which results in failure to feed or behave normally for a time.

The eye closing is a common stress reaction that iguanas also display and the head twitching is likely part of that. Tetany, which is the type of twitching caused by low blood calcium levels is typically seen in the feet and legs. Your husbandry and supplementation does not suggest a  calcium deficiency.

The one thing I would recommend is trying to bump up your basking temperature a bit to the mid 90'SF. Reptile appetites are very temperature dependent.

I really think she just needs time to settle in. It can take 10 days to over two weeks for some reptiles to adjust to a move.

http://www.reptilesmagazine.com/Chinese-Water-Dragon-Care/

Reptiles

Thea