Reptiles/Tortoise trouble

Question
My female horsfield tortoise had a hair hanging out of her bottom yesterday. As it had feces attached to it i pulled it out. She started weeing as i did it. I've just read that i shouldn't have done it. Will she be ok??

Answer
Hi Simone,

I suspect she will be fine. That happens a lot with cats and dogs as well. Next time, it is better to just let it pass normally as pulling it can potentially cause damage to the intestines. Just cut the exposed part off. I think potential damage is more likely with something stronger like string rather then hair though.

I think the hair would have broken before it applied enough pressure against the intestinal wall to cause any serious injury.  

Reptiles

Thea