Reptiles/Phelsuma laticauda bump

QUESTION: Aloha, sorry for generating a new form, but my phone isn't letting me reply to the old one. Anyways, to answer your questions... Yes, she seems to be regulating herself just fine-- goes in the sun when she needs it, chills in the shade on her own, etc. She's still very active, but not eating as much as before-- she would take anything and everything offered to her, up to several items a day, but now will take a worm or pupae once every two or four days. Her weight and hydration still look good, but the bump hasn't gone down-- in fact, slightly larger, if I'm not imagining things.

ANSWER: Hello David,

No problem at all!  So sorry it took me so long to get back with you.  I just didn't get the notification & decided to check the dashboard here, luckily.
That's good she is regulating herself normally then.  The sunshine should be awesome for her.  
I hope that the lump isn't like a cancerous growth inside of the gland there.
Can you get her in to see the vet possibly?  
I am glad to hear that she is still eating right now & that she is maintaining her weight.  She is so beautiful!

Let me know how she is doing.

QUESTION: Hey, thanks for getting back! A vet is almost out of the question, short of possibly taking her to the zoo. Hawaii isn't exactly reptile-friendly, and these geckos-- along with both anole species here-- are considered invasive species... I'm keeping an eye on it, but am ready to excise it if I have to. Are there any articles online regarding operating on small geckos? I'm a paramedic, and I have access to scalpels, syringes and needles, meds like lido with epi, and DermaBond to suture her afterward. It would, of course, be a last resort option.

ANSWER: Hello David,

It may be that she would need to be put under anesthesia, if you need to completely cut it out.
Do you have a way of titrating oxygen to her during a surgery, at 1-3 breaths per minute, estimated?  I could try to find the best anesthesia if needed.
Maybe a vet could be located at the zoo?  I understand that Hawaii is strict on exotics.  I could never move there because I would have to give up our bearded dragons & I can't do that.
I will see what I can find for surgeries, etc.
Let me know how she is doing.

QUESTION: I'll call the zoo and see if there's a herp there who can help me out. As for surgery and incubating her, I'm sure it'll be much different than the human patients I've tubed, but I was thinking an IV cath of the right size would work as an endotracheal tube if needed. I have O2 and also succinylcholine to paralyze her, but I'm concerned about sedating her because she's so tiny. If I had to ventilate her, I'd probably use a syringe Luer-locked to the cath that's serving as her ETT. I prefer to avoid anything that would lower her respiratory drive, and I'm not sure how long an IM injection of succ's would take to have effect. Hopefully I can do everything under local anesthetic. They look like they might be calcium deposits that have hardened in her, but I have to catch her and measure it to see if it's indeed growing. I did post pics on two other forums, and everyone said to see a vet. I was just hoping someone would've recognized what it was!

Hello David,

You can intubate to put her under general anesthesia and you may not need to put her on oxygen since you won't be flipping her onto her back.
I agree, you could consider an IV instead, it would probably be easier.  Lidocaine is a good choice for a local.  If you don't have to do much cutting, that would be fine once she is paralyzed.  It depends on metabolism, but the meds should remain effective for at least an hour.
I am thinking that her calcium sac could be clogged.  I came into contact with a person awhile back with that issue on their gecko.
Let me know if you find a vet to consult with.

Tracie Kretzschmar

I can answer questions pertaining to health, UVB specifics, overall husbandry care & supplementation, analysis of blood test results, and behavioral problems & handling. I can answer questions pertaining to bearded dragons, leopard geckos, iguanas, uromastyx & ball pythons. I can answer adeno virus related questions in bearded dragons, & then specifically about the testing methods as well. I am beginning an Pogona Adeno Testing Society in 2008 which will help to begin to start some standardization within the bearded dragon colonies of the breeders who choose to test.

I have been working with bearded dragons for over 5 years now, as well as leopard geckos, too. I am currently doing rescues, as well. I hope to be able to educate people prior to them purchasing an exotic pet in order to avoid any health crisis with them.

I have a master's degree in sports medicine & physiology, & 1 year of vet tech schooling, & am currently working on a reptile certification through the Pet Industry Joint Advisory Council.