Residential Property Management/Noise Dispute Between Condo Owners

FrustratedTenant wrote at 2009-03-14 17:45:08
Wow, that sounds like a horrible situation. I know exactly what you are going through with the upstairs neighbor. Fortunately, there are no loud parties but I can hear everything that goes on (doors slamming, cabinets opening and closing, heavy footsteps, items dropping). The worst thing is that my neighbor has a different schedule (I think she may be in college) than most of the others in the building. She gets home around 10pm or 12am every night and wakes up late. One time she must have been out drinking too much. She "accidentally" forgot to walk up an extra flight of stairs and tried opening my door and kept cursing about how the door wouldn't open. I do believe this was done intentionally when she figured out who sent the note. Fortunately we will be moving out soon and won't have to deal with her ever again. What frustrates me is that we were paying quite a bit of money for this unit. It was rare that I ever got a good night's sleep thanks to this tenant. Management did nothing and ignored our requests. I suggest you find another place which may be difficult right now but it'll save you some sanity. I am video recording any loud noise that comes from above and posting everything online. I want everyone is thinking about renting at this place to be aware of the cheap walls and floors in this apartment complex.

Amanda wrote at 2013-07-20 15:09:40
I am a first floor condo occupant with sound and impact nuisance from the condo above. I have done a great deal of research on these issues. Please consider the following options:

1) Go to the building department and obtain a copy of the architectural plans to confirm type of construction and what sound proofing materials were used including resilient channels. Also check if plans or HOA governing documents refer to required STC and IIC ratings.

2) Ask the building official for a copy of City Ordinance to confirm when they adopted Uniform Building Code STC and IIC ratings.

3) Ask them to provide you copies of the UBC, City Ordinance and comparable rating of your floor ceiling assembly from the Gypsum Manual to confirm STC and IIC estimate for the assembly separating your condo from the unit above.

4) Consult with an acoustical engineer who can provide an opinion letter, pending access for tapping machine test.

5) If resilient channels were installed, confirm they were installed properly. If resilient channels were not installed properly, you could have short circuits in your assembly which can cause a failure in the system resulting in reduced sound transmission and impact insulation.

6) Confirm if the assembly was constructed per building plans including insulation, resilient channels (if any), etc.

7) A floor ceiling assembly in stacked condominiums is more common than you may think.

8) When there are significant concerns about code violation of STC and IIC ratings, the HOA should require that the upstairs homeowner provide the results of a tapping machine test and acoustical evaluation to prove the assembly with hardwood floors is in compliance and adheres to original construction design. Check to see if the architectural plans include carpet/pad, vinyl, hard surface flooring and how each room was designed. The performance of floor converting a should remain consistent with original construction design.

To view the issues in my condo or for more information on how to protect your quality of life in condominiums, please search for me or send a message to me on my youtube channel: Condo Noise Report.

Best of luck!

Residential Property Management

Mike Fortunato

Very familiar with all aspects of property management (tenant/landlord issues, lease administration, facilities maintenance, financials, etc). 25+ years in property management

I have been in real estate management for 25+ years, both residential and commercial properties. Currently own and operate a commercial and residential real estate management company in southern California.

IREM; BOMA; MLS; National Association of Realtors; California Association of Realtors

CPM (Certified Property Manager) and RPA (Real Property Administrator)