Residential Property Management/CAM > CAPS > CPM

I read one of your articles and found it quite helpful. I am currently a licensed real estate broker and in the process of obtaining my CAM License. In the article I read of yours, you mentioned to then go for the CAPS and then the CPM. I read on another site that you need a 4 year degree to obtain the CPM. Is that a true statement? I appreciate your time and assistance.

Thank you,

Thomas White

Hello Thomas,

I'm glad I could be of assistance. Having a four year degree is one way to satisfy the requirements for CPM however it's not the only way; please check out the link below for all of the current options:

(you can download a PDF of the requirements here:

I hope this helps!

Residential Property Management

Doug Chasick, The Apartment Doctor

I can assist property management professionals ONLY (I DO NOT ANSWER QUESTIONS FROM RESIDENTS/TENANTS) with anything related to the management, marketing, leasing and general operations of multifamily properties with at least 100 units. PLEASE NOTE: I am NOT an attorney and CANNOT offer any assistance to residents by answering questions about your business relationship with your landlord - I CANNOT ANSWER QUESTIONS ABOUT YOUR LEASE. Please visit me at /

36 years experience in managing, leasing, marketing and acquiring all types of investment real estate, with a focus on multifamily properties. I have managed portfolios in excess of 28,000 units

National Apartment Association, The Institute of Real Estate Management, National Association of Home Builders, Apartment Association of Greater Orlando.

Co-author of the book, "How To Excel in Leasing", Journal of Property Management, UNITS Magazine, Sales & Marketing Magic,, Managing Apartment Letter, Professional Apartment Management, Fair Housing Coach.

Certified Property Manager (CPM), Certified Apartment Property Supervisor (CAPS), Certified Apartment Supplier (CAS), Synchronous Learning Expert (SLE), Certified Distance Education Instructor (CDEI), Advanced Registered Apartment Manager (Adv. RAM), Certified Leasing Professional (CLP), Licensed Real Estate Broker in Georgia and Florida, Licensed Fair Housing Expert Instructor, Virginia.

2010 NAA Apartment Careers and Education (ACE) award recipient; 2010 "Legends of the Industry" award from Multifamily Pro/The Annual Brainstorming sessions.