Residential Property Management/rental property appliances

Question
QUESTION: Hello, I rent a house in phoenix, az, and at the end of the year the owner of the house we live in will be cancelling his property management company and will then handle issues related to the property on his own. The house is in real rough shape. The appliances are old and are in constant need of repairs. One of the appliances that leaks and has been repaired 3 times is leaking yet again. It is the dishwasher. So I am wondering if after the end of the year it brakes again and the owner decides to do without fixing or replacing the old unit, what are my options? Is he required to repair/replace the unit? Thank you for any help that you can provide. Happy holidays, sincerely, Jared C.

ANSWER: --- Hello Jared,

Your question is quite common and a good one. Please note that I am not licensed to do business in your state and I am not an Attorney.

The answer should be within your lease agreement. Have you read it carefully?

One good tip is for you to take a look at your state's Landlord Tenant Laws..., to see what protection you may have under the law. See: http://www.azsos.gov/public_services/publications/residential_landlord_tenant_ac

A new dishwasher is only about $325 plus labor to install of $75 to $100 normally.., and it is way beyond me why people just do not treat their tenant kindly...and replace an old dishwasher.  

Your most urgent task in my opinion is to MAKE SURE that you document everything, with dates and photos if possible. Some owners are slum lords and will blame their tenants in an attempt to make the tenant pay for replacements.

You may wish to also note that, if you move, go with a property management company who has more to lose and their reputation at stake.., but some fly under the radar and are non-licensed. So if you move be sure to go with a reputable PM company who is licensed. http://www.narpm.com has some listed in most all states.

This is not Nationwide, but Washington has a Property Management Review guide at http://www.propertymanagementreview.com which is of interest and they say that they will go Nationwide one day.

Best regards,

Don Leske Sr. / Landlord
Property Manager / BCI Properties, LLC
Tacoma, WA

QUESTION: Thank you Don for your help. We are planning on re-signing a new lease. However, the owner of the house has stopped dealing with the maintenance company and has gone on his own. What should I keep in mind before signing a new lease? Should I have an attorney go over it? I can't really afford one, but I want to make sure we are signing something that doesn't put us at liability for everything in and surrounding the house. Thank you Don.

Answer
// Hello again,

Yes I understand, and that is a good question. PLEASE.., take time to read your lease. Often times a landlord will not let the lease out of the office until you sign it......, and that can be intimidating to say the least plus you have no time to consult with anyone about it.

Ask in advance if you can have a copy of the lease to have it reviewed by your Attorney. If the landlord does not like that or decides to refuse, then find another rental is my opinion. A good real estate Attorney may not charge very much, or you could possibly ask someone you know and respect to also take a look at it. [?]

My tenant leases are protected by a watermark/copyright and are totally downloadable online at BCIrent.com under the Rental Requirements link.
See: http://bcirent.com/docs/Res-Lease_11-09-2012_watermarked.pdf  --- That is how all landlords should disclose their terms in my opinion, but many do not.

Your best defense ...is a GOOD offence. Read your landlord tenant law as much as you can and then read your lease after that. Take the time to do it. It's not rocket science....really. :)

Best regards,

Don Leske Sr. / Landlord
Property Manager / BCI Properties, LLC
Tacoma, WA

Residential Property Management

Donald J. Leske II