Residential Property Management/Question on Risk Management Rental

Good day
I got the following questions with reference to risk management and renting out of my condo. Before renting out the condo I am trying to brainstorm all of the risk involved and find ways to manage it.
Lets says that I am renting out my condo and I dont have a property manager. Instead I plan to hire a handyman to repair appliances etc.
In the lease agreement I specified that I am responsible for appliances / electrical system of the home.
In the event that I hire a handyman to repair my appliances / electrical system in my home and he does something wrong and the appliance malfunction. Lets say it causes a fire and then as a landlord I am responsible, yet it was not my fault. Or lets say that the tenant overloads the electrical system in the condo that causes fire and then I am deemed responsible for the fire even though it was not my fault.
In these instances what can I do as a landlord to protect myself from liability arising out of 1. mistakes / negligence by handyman on appliances / electrical system and 2. negligence by the tenant ie. overloading electrical circuits etc.
What are the different ways to mitigate this risks?

--- Hello Mahabir,

I am not an Attorney and licensed only in Washington State, so this is not legal advice.

You asked how to mitigate losses due to: 1. mistakes / negligence by handyman on appliances / electrical system and 2. negligence by the tenant ie. overloading electrical circuits etc.

What I and other property owners do is:

1. ONLY HIRE LICENSED & FULLY INSURED repairmen. If you are hiring an unlicensed worker because they work cheap, then yes you are open to liability and possible damages.

2. Make sure you have good full coverage Insurance. Renters should have Renters Insurance to cover their valuables also.

I hope this has helped you. :)

Kind regards,
-Don Leske Sr. / Landlord

BCI Properties, LLC  

Residential Property Management

Donald J. Leske II

Advocate for Landlord & Tenant Rights. Based in Washington State as a Licensed Real Estate Broker and Property Manager. I am a Landlord but I am not a Lawyer. Ask any question dealing with the rental of residential properties, including; 1. Evictions. 2. Maintenance & repair issues. 3. How to set a fair rental price. 4. When to hire a property manager. 5. Selling and how to determine value. 6. Basic tax questions and Legal issues ok, but most will be referred to a professional in that field.

I have 30 years experience in Property Management with about 560 clients, plus I own my own Real Estate Brokerage ( with expanded experience & training in Short Sales, Foreclosure negotiations and rental property management. I write an informal online Real Estate News Magazine and am a member of NARPM, National Association of Residential Property Managers and have been quoted by News Agencies.

Rated and reviewed Editorials, Advice and short Articles at Trulia, Active Rain and All Experts online. Advice Contributor contributor
All Experts contributor

ABR Certified, State of Washington Licensed Agent & Broker. Past member of BBB, Chamber of Commerce and Board of Realtors.

2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 Presidents Gold Award for high achievement, John L. Scott Realty. - "Shining Star Award" 2006 - 03/04/05/06 All Star of the Year Award for excellence.

See client testimonies at: