Residential Property Management/3day Notice to pay or quit

I recently texted my landlord who has defaulted on his mortage loan(past due over a year and notice for deed auction has been posted to the door). We have no written lease or rental agreement. On may 6th I gave 30 days notice. On June 5th I received a 3 day notice to pay or quit. I no longer live at the address as of may 31st. does this landlord have the right to serve me with a notice to pay or quit, or an eviction?

A 3-Day Notice hardly seems appropriate if you have already vacated the property, so I'm not sure what their intent is. They may just be preparing themselves to be in a position to evict in the event you didn't vacate at the end of your 30-day notice period. If you are out of the house, I recommend sending a short letter back to your landlord advising them of that, which should alleviate the need for them to pursue an eviction.

However, if you owe money, then the landlord could pursue you for those amounts. But an eviction ordinarily wouldn't be a part of that process if you're not in possession of the house.

Residential Property Management

Mike Fortunato

Very familiar with all aspects of property management (tenant/landlord issues, lease administration, facilities maintenance, financials, etc). 25+ years in property management

I have been in real estate management for 25+ years, both residential and commercial properties. Currently own and operate a commercial and residential real estate management company in southern California.

IREM; BOMA; MLS; National Association of Realtors; California Association of Realtors

CPM (Certified Property Manager) and RPA (Real Property Administrator)