Residential Property Management/Door damage, tenant was to fix

Question
Hi Donald-

Had a lady move into our rental house in the spring of this year. In the process of moving in a tailgate that was down on a pick-up backed into the open front storm/screen door. She called me right away and I went and looked at it. I removed the damaged door and told her it would be, at a guess, around $300.00 for my carpenter to buy a new one and labor to put it in. She did say she didn't have that kind of money but was wondering if she bought the door could one of her friends put it in. I agreed under the conditions that it had to be a new door, installed correctly, and done before cold weather/winter came as it is a north facing door to protect the entry door.

Well cold weather is just around the corner and the door has not been replaced. I mentioned it a few weeks ago and she said "oh okay" like she forgot about it but said "I will get it done". As of this weekend a new door has not been installed. I really do not want to touch the deposit money as a new door and installation would use up almost half of it.

Any thoughts on how to proceed? We just had a verbal agreement that she would fix it. If I get the door fixed (I would wait until maybe mid-November to give her a chance before snow came) can I bill her? If so how would I collect? Other ideas?

Thanks,
Jim

Answer
Hello Jim,

It is GOOD to see an owner ask questions and welcome to the fray. I must disclose that I am not licensed in your state to do business and I am not a lawyer.

However, my opinion is that you should without fail replace or repair the door to your satisfaction. The tenant most likely will NEVER do it. Send he a bill and let her know she must pay the bill within 30 days...AND if it is not paid you will turn it over to collections. Most states will not allow you to touch the deposit money (I hope you put the deposit funds into a trust account with your bank), until after the tenant moves out.

Thank you for your question. I hope this  has helped. :)

Donald J. Leske II & Emiliana R. Leske
Managing Broker / Accounts Manager  

BCI PROPERTIES, LLC
BBB A+ Rated
10909 Portland Ave. Suite-L, Tacoma WA 98445
Office: (253) 531-1010 | Fax: (253) 531-5358 | Cell: (253) 241-6695
BCIrent.com & www.BCI-properties.com - Rentals & Property Management

Residential Property Management

Donald J. Leske II