Residential Property Management/Reassignment of a lease

Question
My son took over a business at a commercial property as an assignee with the
lessee and landlords ok with a lease assignment document. Later ,because of  an emergency ,my son has to relocate .My son found another tenant and the landlord  did a reassignment to this new tenant and my son and landlord signed off along with the new assignee (tenant)
The reassignment agreement was presented by the landlord to my son and new assignee by electronic signing. The landlord said that the original lessee now refuses to sign this document .
My Question:In a reassignment does the lessee (original tenant) really need to sign the reassignment document as the new assignee is taking my sons place ,so nothing really changed as far as the lessee position.He is still obligated on the lease until it is over?

Answer
Yes, the original Lessee usually must sign on the basis that they are still a responsible party to the lease in the event of a default. However, I'm not sure why the original Lessee would refuse, so I think it's important to find that out. But under the usual lease assignment provisions, everyone stays as a responsible party to the lease until the scheduled expiration date.

Residential Property Management

Mike Fortunato