Residential Property Management/Leasing Condo Renewal ...

Question
With reference to a Florida condo rental, as the landlord I have the following questions:
1. My tenants lease is about to expire in less than 2 months and I wanted to find out what are my options for renewal. Initially I used a realtor whom I paid a commission to last year. Currently Ido not want to go through the realtor again and have to pay another commission to have him renew the lease. What are my options and how can I renew the lease without having to pay the prior realtor a commission.
Also, what is the deadline before the landlord notifies tenant as to lease renewal.

Answer
Sam,

Thank you for your question. Please note I am not licensed in the State of Florida so my answers should be verified with local laws and regulations.

The renewal options should be in your lease agreement. A well written lease will include items such as the notice period, rent escalation, etc. If not, you likely have the ability to offer your tenant whatever lease terms you wish. Note most local jurisdictions due require specific notice periods so I suggest you check.

In regards to paying a renewal commission the agent you initially hired to lease the space, this should be governed by the agency agreement your signed with the agent (not I do not use the term "Realtor" as only someone who is a member of NAR may use that term). Absent an agreement with the agent, you can likely do what you please with no obligation to the agent or his broker.

To avoid misunderstanding, all real estate related activities should be regulated by written agreements like the lease and agency agreement. For further piece of mind, you may also wish to hire a local property manager specializing in the management of individual condo units. Be sure they are licensed and accredited through organizations such as IREM (www.irem.org).

All my best,

David

Residential Property Management

K. David Meit, CPM