Residential Property Management/Leasing Question

With reference to a Florida condo rental, as the landlord I have the following questions:
1. My tenants lease is about to expire in less than 2 months and I wanted to find out what are my options for renewal. Initially I used a realtor whom I paid a commission to last year. Currently Ido not want to go through the realtor again and have to pay another commission to have him renew the lease. What are my options and how can I renew the lease without having to pay the prior realtor a commission.
Also, what is the deadline before the landlord notifies tenant as to lease renewal.

Hello Sam,

I must disclose that I am not licensed to do business in your state, also I am not an Attorney and cannot give legal advice.

You are actually the owner of the condo? You are also acting as Landlord?

If yes to both questions, then all is good. YOU are the master of your ship, so to speak.

1. You can basically devise or find your own common rental lease and ask the tenant to sign it if they wish to stay on. Or;

2. You could allow the lease to lapse into a month to month lease hold. Most leases have that stipulation, that if not renewed then all terms will remain the same but at a month to month basis.

3. There is no deadline, provided that the current lease has the above mentioned stipulation in it ....that it reverts to a month to month if not renewed. If that provision is not stated within your current lease, then it is a poorly written lease.

You can get free basic leases online, or I think Office Depot or Office Max has them.
Final note, I have continually managed my own personal rentals for 30 years and to this day I do not let my company manage them.., why pay the fee. It's not hard if you have a good tenant. You may need a professional if you have tenant issues.

I hope this has helped you.

Kind regards,

Don Sr.  

Residential Property Management

Donald J. Leske II

Advocate for Landlord & Tenant Rights. Based in Washington State as a Licensed Real Estate Broker and Property Manager. I am a Landlord but I am not a Lawyer. Ask any question dealing with the rental of residential properties, including; 1. Evictions. 2. Maintenance & repair issues. 3. How to set a fair rental price. 4. When to hire a property manager. 5. Selling and how to determine value. 6. Basic tax questions and Legal issues ok, but most will be referred to a professional in that field.

I have 30 years experience in Property Management with about 560 clients, plus I own my own Real Estate Brokerage ( with expanded experience & training in Short Sales, Foreclosure negotiations and rental property management. I write an informal online Real Estate News Magazine and am a member of NARPM, National Association of Residential Property Managers and have been quoted by News Agencies.

Rated and reviewed Editorials, Advice and short Articles at Trulia, Active Rain and All Experts online. Advice Contributor contributor
All Experts contributor

ABR Certified, State of Washington Licensed Agent & Broker. Past member of BBB, Chamber of Commerce and Board of Realtors.

2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 Presidents Gold Award for high achievement, John L. Scott Realty. - "Shining Star Award" 2006 - 03/04/05/06 All Star of the Year Award for excellence.

See client testimonies at: