Residential Property Management/Residential Manager Rights

Question
My question revolves around the rights of the residential manager.  I recently started working for a new management company, (state of Oregon) who keeps the keys for the complex in a closet within the unit we live in. The "office" is also ran from inside our home.

The main maintenance person has a key to our home so he can let himself in when he needs to get keys out of the closet whenever he needs. It is making my wife very uncomfortable because we also have a young child.  Is there any sort of notice requirements, like a tenant would have?

Answer
I'm not familiar with the regulations in Oregon, but given your employment status and the arrangement you agreed to, I doubt there would be a notice requirement (except that a courtesy phone call in advance would certainly make sense). Having said that, I completely understand your concern and if it were me, I'd make other arrangements on where the keys are stored. Seems like it wouldn't take much to have the keys contained in a locked cabinet elsewhere on the property (maybe inside a common area utility room or similar), and a lockbox can be used to contain the key to that room. That would work out much better, as it's probably equally uncomfortable for the maintenance person to barge in to get the keys from your apartment!

Residential Property Management

Mike Fortunato