Residential Property Management/Rental Lease Question

Good day
With reference to a rental lease for which I am renewing for the same tenant as prior year, but with a different lease in Florida, I have the following question:
1. Tenant paid a security deposit for year ending of which I am currently holding. Want to find out if I am able to use the current security deposit for the new lease (same amount) or do I need to write a check for tenant for refund and then let tenant write me a new check.
If I am able to use the same security deposit for the new lease what should I document and put in writing.
2. Also I spoke to my tenant and I would be overseas for the renewal period. Would not be able to visit the property till next year. My tenant has paid on time and claimed the property is in good condition during the current lease which is ending in a month. If I am unable to be at the property for an inspection for the new lease, is there anything I should put in writing to document no inspection of property was done and tenant claimed property was in good condition.

My apologies for the delay responding as I have been on holiday.

Please note I am not an attorney and do not provide legal advise. Also note I am not a licensed real estate broker in Florida. Please check with local counsel and/or a Florida licensed broker to confirm my comments.

I believe from what the information you provided you are renewing the current tenant for the same location. If this is the case, I suggest you merely provide your tenant with a renewal addenda to the current lease, extending the lease dates but not changing any of the current lease terms, including the deposit.

If for some reason you wish to change the actual lease, merely indicate you already hold a deposit using the language required by your jurisdiction. Unless you are concerned about condition, I suggest the same language be used in original lease to control use of funds for damages upon vacancy. You may also ask your tenant to send you photos to confirm current condition.

In your absence I suggest you consider using a licensed and accredited property manager to handle these affairs for you.

All my best,

David Meit

Residential Property Management

K. David Meit, CPM

Real estate investment, operations, renovation, marketing, and administration. Specializing in urban multifamily, DC rent control, property repositioning, change management and building high performance operating teams. For more information, please visit

I have over twenty-five years experience managing all classes of multifamily property in New York City, Washington, DC and the Maryland and Virginia suburbs. I am President & CEO of Oculus Realty, LLC, a licensed real estate broker in Virginia, Maryland and the District of Columbia. Oculus is an Accredited Management Organization (AMO) through the Institute of Real Estate Management (IREM). I have earned the CPM and ARM accreditation through IREM and GRI designation though National Association of Realtors (NAR). My career includes successful management and executive positions at Bozzuto Management, Forest City Residential, DARO Realty and Vornado Realty Trust.

Institute of Real Estate Management Ethics and Discipline hearing Committee, Chair Region 3 Education Committee, Chair West Central Maryland Chapter 92, President (2012) Apartment and Office Building Association Advisory Board Member National Apartment Association Property Management Associations President, 2004 National Association of REALTORS

Boston University, BA New York University, Schack Institute of Real Estate, Property Operations Institute of Real Estate Management, CPM designation

Institute of Real Estate Management AMO of the Year Award 2015 CPM of the Year Award 2012 Past President's Award 2012 Property Management Association PMA Presidentís Award, 2003, 2005 PMA Vision Award, 2004 Property Manager of the Year, 1998 Apartment & Office Building Association Outstanding Leadership Award, 2006, 2008, 2011 AACE Award Washington, DC Service Team, Sedgwick Gardens, 2004 AACE Award, Virginia Garden New Upscale, Regentís Park, 1998

My clients include high net worth individuals and family offices looking for long term income and appreciation from investment real estate.