Residential Property Management/how much time do I have to file claim on matters of..owner neglecting his duties to care for the health nd safety of residents in my apartmnt..,a slip,fall nd injury

About a month ago I slipped and fell due to a sprinkler that has not been properly repaired for 5 years every summer it continually leaks constantly non stop until winter gets here again and they turn off the main water source I went to hospital due to extreme pain in my foot actually both feet one foot was damaged and extreme back pain in the middle of my back couldn't lift nothing could move this week is directly in front of my door next subject is neglecting to care for our health my ceiling in my bedroom has meat for the past 5 years every winter that it rains began as a slow leak and progress to a big family so big that it wet half of bedroom carpet..all the way into the hallway and the bathroom walls could show moisture throughout carpet floor was soaking wet I need couldn't sleep in my room for 4 days due to the large floor fans they put in there to dry it nd I was told they eere going to clean it thouroughlybut all they did was remove the fans...I know that many serious health problems can effect the ones residing here which is a one yr old ,five yr old ,myself ,& my mother whom has many health issue already...I need help nd advice on how or mayb whom I can ggets

Hi.  I'm a recently-retired real-estate agent and former agent-for-owner.  We never give legal advice--that's practicing law without a law license and it puts the entire real-estate firm's licence in jeopardy, no matter whether the advice is correct or incorrect.  Every broker and salesperson will tell you to contact an attorney. I've also previously worked in commercial management (office buildings) in a large US city. That being said, before you seek out an attorney to see if you can file a case, consider this:  You don't give a lot of info here.  

Experience tells me you could very well be asked all of these questions: Whose sprinkler is it--who is the owner?  Who is "they?" Is this a rental property or a property you own?  Do you have records such as bills or emails--or at least some type of notebook--of when all of these things occurred?  Did you seek medical treatment five years ago when the incident happened?  If not, why not?  Did you fill out an incident report or accident report?  Was the damage in your back and foot due to that slip-and-fall or did you get injured elsewhere in the last five years?  Can you lift your children?  What is meat doing in your bedroom ceiling? (I had to read that over a few times--do you mean mold?) What does this mean:  "...slow leak and progress to a big family so big that it wet half of bedroom carpet..?"  You say it was "all the way into the hallway and the bathroom walls could show moisture throughout carpet floor was soaking wet."  Do you have photos of the walls and floors?  

The biggest problem I see is that you didn't act immediately when the incidents happened. I think personal injury statute of limitations is two years with a limit of five years in special circumstances, but that could vary from state to state. If you go to court, a judge will need facts in order to make a decision on the interpretation of the law. Get all of your information together and have the facts straight before contacting an attorney. They'll ask for information and the more you are able provide what they need, the easier it will be for them to determine if you have a case.  

Good luck and thanks for choosing AllExperts!

Residential Property Management

Adam L. Greenberg CPS

I have several years of experience in commercial property management, particularly in tenant retention but also in day-to-day tenant relations and service. Tenant relations and property management are the same whether residential or commercial--everyone takes he same licensing classes. It's the practical work experience that differentiates the two. I can answer questions relating to general topics but by law, because I am licensed as a Real Estate Salesperson by The Missouri Real Estate Commission (since 2005), I cannot give legal advice and as per Items #4 and #5 of the AllExperts User Agreement, my answers may not be construed as such.

I began my career in property management with the residence hall operations at a large state university. I worked with everything that had to do with the tenants (students), from directly managing front desk operations to working behind-the-scenes with support staff. Professionally, for six years, I was a member of a property management team which managed dozens of commercial and residential properties in Downtown Washington, DC; Arlington, Virginia; and Bethesda, Maryland. I also have four years experience as a management agent for an absentee owner in Saint Louis, Missouri.

Former member, Washington Area Concierge Association (WACA), Washington, DC Former member, St. Louis Association of REALTORS.

BA Speech Communication, University of Maryland, 1993 Graduate of American School of Real Estate, St. Louis, Missouri, 2005 Certified Property Management Specialist (CPS), 2010 Successful completion of Continuing Education courses in Ethics, Diversity