Residential Property Management/townhouse for rent

I have always rented apartments and have lived in each one for many years (I have lived the past 20 years in the same apartment). I saw a townhouse for rent I am interested in, and it is owned by an individual and managed by a property management company. My concern is, if and when the owner decides to put it on the market for sale, they could tell me to vacate at the end of the lease. Even if they tell me beforehand that they don't plan on selling the unit and want to continue renting it, I would not be comfortable not knowing for certain I'm going to get kicked out or not because they changed their mind and decided to sell it. But is that a likely or common scenerio? Or a valid concern?

Hello Lee,

Yes that can happen, even with apartments as they can be sold too. With Apartments you are more secure in that way as a new owner would simply want you to stay. Townhomes are quite different in that yes, like rentals of single family homes..., they can be sold. You could ask the property management company for an opinion, but you cannot know if they even would know. It is a risk many people take, as Townhomes tend to be nicer and less like apartments.

This is truly a Catch-22 situation. The best answer of course would be to buy a similar unit, then you have total control. With interest rates from 4-5% right now.., you may find a mortgage payment actually cheaper than rent. No kidding, I know this because I sell as well as provide Townhome rentals. Just contact your Bank or a Mortgage Broker for free information.

Wishing you the best,

Don Leske Sr. / Broker
BCI Properties, LLC

Residential Property Management

Donald J. Leske II

Advocate for Landlord & Tenant Rights. Based in Washington State as a Licensed Real Estate Broker and Property Manager. I am a Landlord but I am not a Lawyer. Ask any question dealing with the rental of residential properties, including; 1. Evictions. 2. Maintenance & repair issues. 3. How to set a fair rental price. 4. When to hire a property manager. 5. Selling and how to determine value. 6. Basic tax questions and Legal issues ok, but most will be referred to a professional in that field.

I have 30 years experience in Property Management with about 560 clients, plus I own my own Real Estate Brokerage ( with expanded experience & training in Short Sales, Foreclosure negotiations and rental property management. I write an informal online Real Estate News Magazine and am a member of NARPM, National Association of Residential Property Managers and have been quoted by News Agencies.

Rated and reviewed Editorials, Advice and short Articles at Trulia, Active Rain and All Experts online. Advice Contributor contributor
All Experts contributor

ABR Certified, State of Washington Licensed Agent & Broker. Past member of BBB, Chamber of Commerce and Board of Realtors.

2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 Presidents Gold Award for high achievement, John L. Scott Realty. - "Shining Star Award" 2006 - 03/04/05/06 All Star of the Year Award for excellence.

See client testimonies at: