You are here:

Residential Property Management/Brokers license required to run a property management firm ?


Can a real estate associate start and run his own private property management firm serving  Home owner Associations in CIDs without having a Broker's license, or being under a Broker ? What statute defines this issue ? Thanks.

For most property management functions, a broker's license is required. Oddly enough, the one area where a broker's license is not required are for community associations. I don't know the exact section number offhand, but I believe it can be found in the Business and Professions Code. You can search the BRE web site at:  Having said that, it is questionable whether a Board of Directors would be best served by hiring a property management company without a broker's license.

Residential Property Management

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Mike Fortunato


Very familiar with all aspects of property management (tenant/landlord issues, lease administration, facilities maintenance, financials, etc). 25+ years in property management


I have been in real estate management for 25+ years, both residential and commercial properties. Currently own and operate a commercial and residential real estate management company in southern California.

IREM; BOMA; MLS; National Association of Realtors; California Association of Realtors

CPM (Certified Property Manager) and RPA (Real Property Administrator)

©2017 All rights reserved.

[an error occurred while processing this directive]