Residential Property Management/Is it legal?

Question
QUESTION: Hi I am looking for advice.  I have had a trellis in front of my home for over 10 years, now I get a letter stating I must remove it.  They claim its messing up my roof (its not)  in the way of painting, it has screws I can remove for painting.  I have expensive plants on it, and it gives me a little privacy.  Must I remove it?  I am following the rule of no items past the roof line its right under it.

ANSWER: Hi and thanks for your question.  The best answer is, "Maybe." I recently saw a piece on a show like 20/20 that showed a small item like a trellis being the cause that a relatively low-speed wind ripped the roof off of a house like it was a sardine can.  The other factor is your lease.  You don't specify if this is a single-family house, although it seems like it might be.  No matter how long it's been there, unless it was there when you moved in, the owner or manager might have the right to ask you to remove it if it's yours.  Another factor is Homeowner's Association rules.  If your residence falls under a homeowner's association (HOA) the HOA has rules that apply to everyone in the community. These rules generally keep uniformity in the community.  They're very common here where I am in South Florida.  I can't put up a storage shed in my backyard.  I can't park a commercial vehicle in my driveway overnight.

I hope this helps.  However, this opinion does not and should not constitute legal advice.  If you believe you have a concern, you should contact an attorney who is familiar with landlord - tenant relations.

Thanks for using AllExperts and please remember to rate your Expert!

QUESTION: Hi thank you for answering my question.  I do live in S. Fla too.  I have had the trellis up for over 10 years and suddenly they want me to remove it.  I have lived here for over 20 years my rules book is very old and I just requested a new one.  I haven't done anything special with it its been here a long time with no problem.  The old association president passed away and a new one did take his place.

Answer
It could be the new president is flexing some muscle and enforcing rules.  Or the HOA got complaints about the trellis.  I'm in the first house as you enter  our subdivision, so everybody sees everything at our house.  You'd be surprised to read the letters we've gotten from the HOA. The flip side is that they maintain everything, including trash collection, lawn care (excluding shrubs & trees), streets (including the gates), sprinklers, the pond, the common - area private park and our community pool.  So they have a purpose.

Again,  I hope this helps. I'm happy to answer any further questions you have in the future!  This opinion does not and should not constitute legal advice.  If you believe you have a concern, you should contact an attorney who is familiar with landlord - tenant relations. 

Residential Property Management

Adam L. Greenberg CPS