Residential Property Management/going from renting to selling...

Question
Dear Mr. Greenberg,

First of all, thank you very much for volunteering on this site!

Brief background:   We were trying to sell a house in Louisiana for a while but since we couldn't, we decided to rent it.  The sales agent passed us onto their property mgt section.  Through them we rented our house out.  -   The contract we have w/the rental agent only specifies the amount of rent, nothing about option to buy.

Q: Should the renter want to buy our house, would the renting agent - whom we hired - have any right to any commission?

Q:  Am I under any obligation to retain my rental agent for any period of time?   In other words, after they found a renter (who appears to have a rental agent as well) for us, what sort of obligation - if any - do I have to them?  Right now they are getting 10% of the rent.

Q: Under what circumstances would it be OK for me to make direct contact with the renters?  

Once again, thank you very much for volunteering on this site!  
Sincerely,
Pablo Durissimo

Answer
Hi Pablo.  You have three questions here.  Let's go through them.

Q1: Should the renter want to buy our house, would the renting agent - whom we hired - have any right to any commission?

A1:  That would be spelled out in your contract.

Q2:  Am I under any obligation to retain my rental agent for any period of time?   In other words, after they found a renter (who appears to have a rental agent as well) for us, what sort of obligation - if any - do I have to them?  Right now they are getting 10% of the rent.

A2: That would also be spelled out in your contract, which should contain a start date and an end date.  If they are getting a portion of the rent, you are possibly still under contract with them and the lessee's agent may be entitled to commission, too.  Usually, the commission amount is paid by the owner and split between both the lessor's and lessee's agents.   

Q3: Under what circumstances would it be OK for me to make direct contact with the renters?  

A3: Please allow me to explain that this opinion should not be construed as legal advice.  Every good real estate agent will advise you to contact an attorney familiar with these issues, because real estate agents are not licensed to dispense legal advice.

I hope this answered some of your questions!

Thanks for using AllExperts and please remember to rate your Expert!

Residential Property Management

Adam L. Greenberg CPS