Residential Property Management/small claims court


I am a property owner in Hawaii. My last tenant took me to small claims court in HI and apparently won the case by default of my inability to be present. I was notified by certified mail to be present only 5 days before the court date. I later received a text from my tenant stating she had won by default. Now she is stating she is filing the judgement in Honolulu county and the county in which I reside. I live in California. Does she acutally have the ability to file judgemnt and have my payment to her deducted from my paycheck from another state? I have never been notified by the court about any of this. I am questioning how she can force me to pay her by a default judgement from a different state.
Thank you for your time and response.

I'm sorry, but this question is better asked to an attorney, and probably one that is familiar with the laws in both states. My guess is that there's probably a way to appeal the judgment to a higher court (especially if you weren't properly served), but not sure of the time frames involved.

Residential Property Management

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Mike Fortunato


Very familiar with all aspects of property management (tenant/landlord issues, lease administration, facilities maintenance, financials, etc). 25+ years in property management


I have been in real estate management for 25+ years, both residential and commercial properties. Currently own and operate a commercial and residential real estate management company in southern California.

IREM; BOMA; MLS; National Association of Realtors; California Association of Realtors

CPM (Certified Property Manager) and RPA (Real Property Administrator)

©2017 All rights reserved.

[an error occurred while processing this directive]