Residential Property Management/Security deposit & last month rent...refund?

Question
When we moved into the rental home we are now living in, we payed first and last months rent. A day after Christmas our landlords advised us that the property has been sold and we have until February 1 2015 to find another residence. My question is, since we paid the first and last are the landlords responsible to pay us the deposit. We have found another place to live, but feel we are paying rent for two homes .
Thank you

Answer
Hello Diane,

You did not say if the landlord is breaking your lease due to the sale, or did he give you proper notice to move out. In Washington State for instance, an owner of residential rental property must give a 20-Day Notice to terminate a rental contract if it is month-to-month. If the termination is during a lease then the renter has additional rights.

As for deposit? You say you paid "first and last months rent" but did not say if you paid deposit, so I will assume you did pay it. In my state, the tenant must move out before an owner or landlord can determine a settlement of deposit funds, in case the home is dirty then they can keep a portion of the deposit by showing due cause.

If you are referring to your last month rent you paid in advance? Then that should cover January rent so you can use your January rent that you would have had to pay for the new rental.

Please be aware, and I hate to say this but: A LOT OF OWNERS AND MANY LANDLORDS ROUTINELY DO NOT GIVE BACK DEPOSITS.... even if you do leave the place clean. We are different. We LOVE to give deposits back, and we give our tenants a cleaning list to guide them.

I am only licensed in Washington State and my comments are meant for residents of my state, but I do hope that this information does help you.

Kind regards,

Donald J. Leske Sr.
Webmaster & Licensed Broker
BCI PROPERTIES, LLC
10909 Portland Ave. Suite-L
Tacoma, WA 98445
Office: 253.531.1010

Residential Property Management

Donald J. Leske II