Residential Property Management/Slum Lord

Hi, I have a question regarding my managment company. They own the apt. building I am currently renting. They own hundreds of properties. They are known in my town as " slum lords". My building has had a  leaky roof for almost two years and instead of them purchasing a new roof, they continue to patch it up. They are very lax on making repairs in the building. The Code Enforcement guy told me that they are known through the town as " bad landlords". They give them violations, they fix them when the Code Enforcement man comes around but that is it. Is there anything that can be done with these people? They have wrongly accused me twice of not paying rent and then I provide them proof because I am never ever late  they apologize saying that their secretary misplaced files??? Is there any recourse that I have without moving for now? I currently have cancer and I am not able to move at the moment. Thank you.

I recommend putting your maintenance concerns (particularly the roof leaks) in writing (instead of verbal conversations which can be hard to prove later). If they don't make repairs in a reasonable amount of time, then you may have legal recourse (you would need to check with an attorney on options available in your state). It's a shame you can't move (sorry about your health condition), because if this landlord is indeed as described, then the likelihood of that changing is slim to none. Not all landlords operate in that fashion, so when you are in a position to relocate, that may be your best option. Best of luck.

Residential Property Management

Mike Fortunato

Very familiar with all aspects of property management (tenant/landlord issues, lease administration, facilities maintenance, financials, etc). 25+ years in property management

I have been in real estate management for 25+ years, both residential and commercial properties. Currently own and operate a commercial and residential real estate management company in southern California.

IREM; BOMA; MLS; National Association of Realtors; California Association of Realtors

CPM (Certified Property Manager) and RPA (Real Property Administrator)