Residential Property Management/apartments problem

K im in texas and i recently paid app fee hold my apartment.i was told the apt was to be ready by the 1st.then told it will be ready by wensday(7) and still not ready now im being told it wont be ready till next week after i went in they are saying the office is not open on mondays and tuesday(which is weird to me i never heard of that) and they dont have contractors to come fix the apartment now im kinda mad and wont all my money back even the app fees bc im still dont have apartment and its the about to be the middle of the month.but if i do decide to wait do i have to pay all the rent next month even if i havent even been there a month.or should i just try to get my money

I don't have much information to go by, but based on what you wrote, if you have not yet signed a lease then you do not have to move forward with the tenancy and thus would not owe any rent. If you did sign the lease, then the landlord would have to prorate for the delays in move-in at the very minimum. If the delays are unreasonable, then you may have grounds to break the lease.

As for the application fee, oftentimes those are nonrefundable. But if you feel warranted to have it returned, you can demand that and if they don't comply, you can file a suit in small claims court.

Residential Property Management

Mike Fortunato

Very familiar with all aspects of property management (tenant/landlord issues, lease administration, facilities maintenance, financials, etc). 25+ years in property management

I have been in real estate management for 25+ years, both residential and commercial properties. Currently own and operate a commercial and residential real estate management company in southern California.

IREM; BOMA; MLS; National Association of Realtors; California Association of Realtors

CPM (Certified Property Manager) and RPA (Real Property Administrator)