Residential Property Management/Can a landlord decide not to renew your lease for no reason?

Hi, My question is, does a landlord need to give you a reason as to why they are not renewing your lease? I've lived at my apartment for 6 years (a large nationwide management company). I've been a good tenant. Never late with my rent. No complaints about me. Only issue I've had is I had a bird feeder on my balcony that attracted a lot of pigeons. Management told me to remove it 6 months ago which I did, but the birds will not leave. Management has been on me about it for 6 months. I tell them over and over that I am not feeding them or attracting them. Yesterday I got a notice on my door that when my lease is up in 60 days, that I need to move out. When I asked why they will not give me a reason. Just that it is their right to not let me renew. Is this legal? Since I'm not doing anything wrong, can they legally do this? Thank you

Hello Erin,

Yes they have the right and they DO NOT have to explain, but you most likely know already that it is the bird issue.

You should contact them immediately and see if you can turn it around by offering to pay for any clean-up or...?

-Don Sr.  

Residential Property Management

Donald J. Leske II

Advocate for Landlord & Tenant Rights. Based in Washington State as a Licensed Real Estate Broker and Property Manager. I am a Landlord but I am not a Lawyer. Ask any question dealing with the rental of residential properties, including; 1. Evictions. 2. Maintenance & repair issues. 3. How to set a fair rental price. 4. When to hire a property manager. 5. Selling and how to determine value. 6. Basic tax questions and Legal issues ok, but most will be referred to a professional in that field.

I have 30 years experience in Property Management with about 560 clients, plus I own my own Real Estate Brokerage ( with expanded experience & training in Short Sales, Foreclosure negotiations and rental property management. I write an informal online Real Estate News Magazine and am a member of NARPM, National Association of Residential Property Managers and have been quoted by News Agencies.

Rated and reviewed Editorials, Advice and short Articles at Trulia, Active Rain and All Experts online. Advice Contributor contributor
All Experts contributor

ABR Certified, State of Washington Licensed Agent & Broker. Past member of BBB, Chamber of Commerce and Board of Realtors.

2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 Presidents Gold Award for high achievement, John L. Scott Realty. - "Shining Star Award" 2006 - 03/04/05/06 All Star of the Year Award for excellence.

See client testimonies at: