Residential Property Management/Eviction Extension, etc.

Question
I live in Rockwall County, TX in my grandmother's home (she lives elsewhere). There is no written lease but I pay all utilities & taxes (no other rent fees). I allowed my boyfriend to move in. She stated last weekend that he must move out or we have to both leave. We've been looking for a house together for a few months & let her know this. Today she said that I have one month to move & I should get the eviction notice tomorrow. Homes in my area are going so fast we are having a hard time getting viewings let alone making offers. I'm worried that we won't find a house in time. Do I have any legal grounds for an extension if we need it?

Thank you for your time & help!

Answer
Well, I'm sure you won't like the answer, but no....you do not have any legal grounds to extend based on the info you provided. Granted, the eviction will take some time, although in Texas, my understanding is that it doesn't take very long. Your grandmother owns the house, and you don't have a lease, so I'm afraid you're stuck. You could try to fight the eviction to delay, but it doesn't sound like you have any legal grounds to do so. Best course of action is probably to move. Sorry for the bad news.

Residential Property Management

Mike Fortunato