Residential Property Management/Pest control on rental property

Hello Donald. I'm trying to find out if my landlord is responsible for providing pest control services under the law. I am a tenant renting a house in Phoenix Arizona. Lately we noticed two issues. 1. We have termites. Termites in the garage. 2. Ants. I believe ants have made nests inside the house (in the walls or foundation).

In our lease, it states that the tenant is responsible for pest control services. I contacted the tenant/landlord association of Arizona and they told me that having the tenant be responsible for pest control and adding it in the lease is considered illegal and non enforceable unless the lease allows a provision in rent. They told me that if the tenant is supposed to pay for pest control, the rent should have provisions reflecting deductions in rent to the effect of providing pest control ( if I pay for monthly pest control, I have that same amount deducted from ten is how I believe this goes).

Is this information correct? Thank you for your time Donald.

Sincerely, Jared C.

Hello Jared,

I am not Licensed in California although I lived there for many years. Also I am not an Attorney so I must advise you to obtain legal council in your state or a qualified property management company.

The most concise list of property management companies I have seen is a free directory at:
<herf="">Property Management Today - California</a>

In Washington State tenants in a single family home must take care of any pest control, but in any kind of multi-family rental the landlord must handle it.

I hope this has helped.

Kind regards,

Donald J. Leske Sr.
Managing Broker  
BBB A-Rated
9702 South Tacoma Way, Lakewood WA 98499
Office: (253) 531-1010 | Fax: (253) 531-5358 | Cell: (253) 241-6695 & - Rentals & Sales of fine homes!

Please help us with a short survey at:  

Residential Property Management

Donald J. Leske II

Advocate for Landlord & Tenant Rights. Based in Washington State as a Licensed Real Estate Broker and Property Manager. I am a Landlord but I am not a Lawyer. Ask any question dealing with the rental of residential properties, including; 1. Evictions. 2. Maintenance & repair issues. 3. How to set a fair rental price. 4. When to hire a property manager. 5. Selling and how to determine value. 6. Basic tax questions and Legal issues ok, but most will be referred to a professional in that field.

I have 30 years experience in Property Management with about 560 clients, plus I own my own Real Estate Brokerage ( with expanded experience & training in Short Sales, Foreclosure negotiations and rental property management. I write an informal online Real Estate News Magazine and am a member of NARPM, National Association of Residential Property Managers and have been quoted by News Agencies.

Rated and reviewed Editorials, Advice and short Articles at Trulia, Active Rain and All Experts online. Advice Contributor contributor
All Experts contributor

ABR Certified, State of Washington Licensed Agent & Broker. Past member of BBB, Chamber of Commerce and Board of Realtors.

2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 Presidents Gold Award for high achievement, John L. Scott Realty. - "Shining Star Award" 2006 - 03/04/05/06 All Star of the Year Award for excellence.

See client testimonies at: