Residential Property Management/Property damages by landlord vendors

Question
Back in October of this year, our home was flooded due to rain.  We were renting a property from an agency who represented the home owners.  After the flood happened we filed an insurance claim for our personal property.  The home owners also began insurance claims for the actual home damages.  As renters we had to get our property out of the house so the home could be repaired.  However, the home owners vendors came in and damaged our personal property by placing it in garbage bags with wet dirty items.  These were items that were salvageable and not damaged during the initial flood.  As renters, we incurred extra costs to properly retrieve, clean and repair these items.  What recourse do we have to recover our costs from the home owners or their vendors?  Do we sue or take them to small claims court?  How does this typically work?  Thanks.

Answer
Hello and please excuse the delay--we've had to wait for days for internet repair.  In any event, this opinion is based on my 25 years of experience in residential and commercial real estate and should not be taken as legal advice; if you believe you have a legitimate legal concern, you should consult an attorney who is familiar with landlord-tenant issues in your area.

That being said, when I boil it down, I'm reading that you had to remove your items from the property so that would not get damaged.  There were some good items which you did not remove before work began and the workers, not knowing that they were good items (only that they were wet), removed them.  You were able to salvage those items.

There is no simple answer and no "way it typically works." If it was requested you remove items and vacate premises for work to commence, the owner, agent and vendors couldn't know you had left personal items behind.  You might be able to add the items to your claim as the damage is the result of the same incident.  If you had to vacate the premises, you were temporarily unable to live somewhere which you paid to live.  You could be entitled to pro-rated rent if it was an unreasonable amount of time; overnight won't likely cut it.  That's a small-claims issue, typically under $2000, but up to $5000 in some places.  But while an attorney isn't required and the filing fee is typically small, you have to balance how much you might get from a lawsuit with the relationship you have with the agent and the owner.

Again, this is an opinion and should not be construed as legal advice.  I've provided an opinion based on the information you've provided.  I'll be happy to answer a follow-up question if you have more detail to add.

Thanks for choosing AllExperts and please remember to rate your Expert!

Residential Property Management

Adam L. Greenberg CPS