Residential Property Management/Is gas, heat, water, electricity, trash removal, cable connection for

Is gas, heat, water, electricity, trash removal, cable connection for TV, and high speed internet, included in renting an apartment? I mean for the US State of Michigan.

Thank you for your inquiry. Please note I am not an attorney nor am I licensed in the state of Michigan. For legal advise, please seek local counsel or contact the Michigan Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs (

That being said, an housing provider is usually free dictate which utilities included in rent depending on market conditions. Every community is different. For example, if the apartment has it's own cable equipment or electric or water meter, it will likely not be included in the rent. However, a housing may include these utility costs in the rent for marketing purposes, similar to a rent concession. Common trash removal is often provided unless Valet Waste door-side pick up is offered, sometimes free but often for a fee. In short, there is no one answer as each housing provider will do what the market dictates.

All my best,

K. David Meit

Residential Property Management

K. David Meit, CPM

Real estate investment, operations, renovation, marketing, and administration. Specializing in urban multifamily, DC rent control, property repositioning, change management and building high performance operating teams. For more information, please visit

I have over twenty-five years experience managing all classes of multifamily property in New York City, Washington, DC and the Maryland and Virginia suburbs. I am President & CEO of Oculus Realty, LLC, a licensed real estate broker in Virginia, Maryland and the District of Columbia. Oculus is an Accredited Management Organization (AMO) through the Institute of Real Estate Management (IREM). I have earned the CPM and ARM accreditation through IREM and GRI designation though National Association of Realtors (NAR). My career includes successful management and executive positions at Bozzuto Management, Forest City Residential, DARO Realty and Vornado Realty Trust.

Institute of Real Estate Management Ethics and Discipline hearing Committee, Chair Region 3 Education Committee, Chair West Central Maryland Chapter 92, President (2012) Apartment and Office Building Association Advisory Board Member National Apartment Association Property Management Associations President, 2004 National Association of REALTORS

Boston University, BA New York University, Schack Institute of Real Estate, Property Operations Institute of Real Estate Management, CPM designation

Institute of Real Estate Management AMO of the Year Award 2015 CPM of the Year Award 2012 Past President's Award 2012 Property Management Association PMA Presidentís Award, 2003, 2005 PMA Vision Award, 2004 Property Manager of the Year, 1998 Apartment & Office Building Association Outstanding Leadership Award, 2006, 2008, 2011 AACE Award Washington, DC Service Team, Sedgwick Gardens, 2004 AACE Award, Virginia Garden New Upscale, Regentís Park, 1998

My clients include high net worth individuals and family offices looking for long term income and appreciation from investment real estate.