Residential Property Management/Questions Answered by Expert K. David Meit, CPM

SubjectDate Asked
Is gas, heat, water, electricity, trash removal, cable connection for7/30/2016
  Q: Is gas, heat, water, electricity, trash removal, cable connection for TV, and high speed internet, ...
  A: Please note I am not an attorney nor am I licensed in the state of Michigan. For legal advise, ...
property management4/28/2016
  Q: I'm a landlord and we have a management company managing the property. But we now want to manage by ...
  A: Lucy, Thank you for your inquiry. Please be reminded I am not an attorney, offer no legal advice ...
Rental Lease Question7/12/2014
  Q: Good day With reference to a rental lease for which I am renewing for the same tenant as prior year, ...
  A: Sam, My apologies for the delay responding as I have been on holiday. Please note I am not an ...
diclosure error in lease prepared by property manager6/11/2014
  Q: I pay a property manager to manage a triplex. There is a coin washer and dryer shared by the three ...
  A: Alice, Thank you for the question. Please note I am NOT an attorney and offer no legal advise. ...
Leasing Condo Renewal ...6/6/2014
  Q: With reference to a Florida condo rental, as the landlord I have the following questions: 1. My ...
  A: Sam, Thank you for your question. Please note I am not licensed in the State of Florida so my ...
Property Manager Issue10/19/2013
  Q: Our Pennsylvania Home Owner Association hired a new property manager after interviewing him and also ...
  A: Nick, Thank you for your question. Sounds like your HOA has had an interesting time and hopefully ...
Question3/7/2013
  Q: Good day I got the following questions with reference to risk management and renting out of my ...
  A: S. Mahabir, The risks you bring up may be mitigated through contracts and insurance. I suggest you ...
Query on Renting2/20/2013
  Q: Good day With reference to the renting out of a townhome for the first time I have the following ...
  A: S. Mahabir: 1. The Owner of the property is likely responsible for unpaid utility bills if a ...
Query2/19/2013
  Q: Good day Got the following question for someone who wants to rent out their condo. If the person has ...
  A: S. Mahabir: An owner has no obligation to discuss their personal finances but it would depend on ...
most important certs and licenses8/8/2012
  Q: I have been managing a 9 door apartment building for the past 28 years and am well versed in rent ...
  A: Brian, Thank you for the question. It is a shame our industry relies on unit count so much. Its the ...
Property Management Bounced Check8/1/2012
  Q: I am a Property Manager in Texas. Recently I had an issue with a Tenant's Rent Check Bouncing. ...
  A: Mary, Thank you for the question. The management of client funds should be governed by your ...
Do I need to evict this person? / Foreclosure?7/19/2012
  Q: I have a problem in Jacksonville FL with a few odd twists. My house has been in foreclosure for, ...
  A: Lisa, Thank you for your question. Please understand I am not an attorney and can not provide legal ...
Rental properties?5/6/2012
  Q: How are you doing today? I live in Waco, Texas, and currently, I am moving out of my house at the ...
  A: Susan, If you are looking to rent a single family house, your best option is to go through a local ...
What do you do when tenants insist on speaking with the owner?5/2/2012
  Q: I've been struggling with this issue for a while now. When you come into a agreement with an owner ...
  A: Luis, Thank you for your inquiry. In my opinion the issue is with your owner client, not your ...
RUB's4/19/2012
  Q: Can you please explain how a RUB works in high-rise residential properties?
  A: Kat, Great question. To offset the rising cost of water (or other utilities) and promote ...
credit score4/7/2012
  Q: Dear Mike, I have 2 questions. The first is: I am a senior US citizen and I live in New York, NY ...
  A: JE, Thank you for your inquiry. Each PHA has its own criteria for the Housing Choice Voucher ...
Small Claims for Non payment, etc.11/12/2011
  Q: I am a landlord filing a civil suit in small claims court in Maryland for past due rent. We ...
  A: Natasha, You have asked a number of legal questions and since I am not an attorney I am unable to ...
Renewing of lease11/7/2011
  Q: Do I have any rights if I want to stay in my apt or can i take my landlord to court because they are ...
  A: Bandia, The answer to this question depends on the terms of your lease and the jurisdiction you ...
owner-property management11/4/2011
  Q: We own a 1 family home in Delaware. We hired a property management company to advertise for and ...
  A: Beth, Your question is not actually related to residential property management but contract law. As ...
Onsite property managment7/5/2011
  Q: In Oakland, CA, Is there a minimum number of residential units that an apt bldg must have, to ...
  A: John, I have neither worked in nor heard of a jurisdiction that _required_ an on site property ...
broken window6/29/2011
  Q: 1st off I live alone, I was in my front room watching TV when I heard a loud sound(something hitting ...
  A: Denitria, Communication is often key when settling a dispute. I suggest you put your findings and ...
being harassed by a property manager6/9/2011
  Q: I have been living in my townhouse for almost 3 years. We are quiet, always pay our rent, don't have ...
  A: Maureen, Thank you for your inquiry. First, please review your lease closely. Its language will ...
CPM or PM Certificate5/11/2011
  Q: I have a question regarding Property Management. I would like to steer into the direction of ...
  A: Kris, Property management is an exciting, fulfilling and potentially lucrative career. It is also ...
PM contract verbally severed now what2/22/2011
  Q: Meit, Recently my property manager and)and I agreed to "tear up" the contract. She had broken the ...
  A: AJ, Thank you for your inquiry. In regards to your first question, the lease should have been in ...
Insurance Claims1/26/2011
  Q: My apartment wall and floor were damaged by a water leak from the water tank of the above apartment. ...
  A: Mark, Before I answer please let me know if you are a tenant in a rental building owned by a single ...
apartment complex abuse10/14/2010
  Q: I was recommended by a friend about the apartments I moved into.Although it turns out they are ...
  A: Rosa, From your description, I believe your apartment community is using RUBS (ratio utility ...
COS and other CPM training courses.10/10/2010
  Q: Mr. Meit, I'm an individual in Maine who is interested in taking some on-line property management ...
  A: Real M., I suggest you consider taking self paced (online) coursework through the Institute of Real ...
Multi-family vs. Single Family investing8/16/2010
  Q: My fiance and I are looking to purchase property in both DC and Maryland. He was approved for ...
  A: Andrea, Thank you for your question. Unfortunately, your goals are unclear to me. I believe you are ...

All Questions in This Category

Residential Property Management

K. David Meit, CPM

Top Expert on this page