Residential Property Management/Questions Answered by Expert Nathan Gesner

SubjectDate Asked
Road maintenance10/14/2011
  Q: I live on a private dirt road where all homeowners have easement, someone is trying to purchase a ...
  A: Here's what I find written: Chapter 1 Appraisal & Property Requirements Page 1-15 A. General: For ...
Property Manager discrimination9/29/2011
  Q: I own a mobile home in Oregon which my family has been living in. The park residents are mostly ...
  A: Kris, If the property manager is citing you for knocking over a garbage can, ask him to provide ...
Rental Deposit deductions9/10/2011
  Q: I have a tenant that recently moved out of a home that i was renting to them. Shortly after the ...
  A: Mike, Can you legally charge them for your time and trouble? No. California statutes are clear ...
Property Manager8/24/2011
  Q: Property Management Issue ========================= I hired a residential property manager in Feb ...
  A: Quentin, If I understand your agreement properly, you have to give 60 days written notice to ...
Problems with apartment management8/1/2011
  Q: I have recently moved into an apartment complex that requires a gate key or code for access into the ...
  A: Denise, First off, you don't have much leverage in this situation because you signed the lease and ...
draft agreement7/29/2011
  Q: please sir, oblige me with a draft/specimen copy of points contained in agreement in employing a ...
  A: Andrew, Why would you want American documents for use in Nigeria? OH, I KNOW! You want my ...
Property Management Company Growth7/27/2011
  Q: I am a Managing Broker/Owner of a small Real Estate Company in Olympia. We have been in business ...
  A: Tracy, First off, I bought the company with 116 units already being managed. I've owned it for 11 ...
Property Management Agreement7/26/2011
  Q: I currently have a property management agreement for management services at a rental property I own. ...
  A: Latascha, You can argue that the management agreement should have been voided after the company ...
eviction7/25/2011
  Q: Can a landlord of a subsidized housing property (HUD) evict family of single mother with 2 minor ...
  A: Julie, The law states that Landlords must "make reasonable accomodations" for people with ...
rent7/12/2011
  Q: My daughter is moving into her first college apartment and the complex will not have the apartment ...
  A: The complex may be asking for money as a "holding deposit" meaning they want her to put money down ...
HOA Harassment7/1/2011
  Q: I received 2 notices since a nosy neighbor moved in, both were resolved, the last was considered an ...
  A: Tara, I'm sorry to hear about your situation. Yes, you should call the police and report the ...
bed bugs6/14/2011
  Q: I am a landlord in California and I rent a single family house to a tenant who all of a sudden has a ...
  A: Frank, You are required to provide a habitable home and maintain it that way. However, as you ...
Lease6/12/2011
  Q: I have tenant who has signed a year lease and has been leasing from me for the past 1 year and ...
  A: Anthony, When a fixed-term lease expires, it automatically converts to a month-to-month. At that ...
tenant in Florida won't pay rent5/23/2011
  Q: What can a landlord do if the tenant won't pay the rent and the landlord is living outside of the ...
  A: Camila, You have to initiate eviction procedures. You can start by writing the tenants a letter ...
how to choose tenants5/17/2011
  Q: one day i used to have 5 single family homes that i used to rent out, but now with my job relocation ...
  A: Ashraf, I'm a property manager, and a good one, so my answer is a little biased. I think a ...
Property Manager Liability5/11/2011
  Q: Homeowner hired property management company for rental house. House was rented to tenants for ...
  A: Dale, there's way too many things for me to address, so let me give you the short answer. Yes, the ...
property management5/7/2011
  Q: Landlady hired a property management, we had to property sign a new agreement with them. The ...
  A: Janette, I'll try to answer all your questions separately. 1. The property manager can require you ...
Subdivision restrictions5/4/2011
  Q: I live in Alabama. A developer established a subdivision with a lake adjacent to my property. A ...
  A: Mack, If I understand you correctly, the lake belongs 100% to the subdivision. Any property ...
Is Lanlord Required to Provide HOA Rules?5/2/2011
  Q: We recently moved to West Virginia on short notice and rented a townhouse in an HOA area. Out of ...
  A: Stephanie, The owner is required to provide a copy of the HOA rules to you, since you're the tenant ...
Changing of Property Management Co.4/28/2011
  Q: I rented an apartment in Arizona with the intentions of fulfilling the lease agreement. One month ...
  A: Cheryl, The lease agreement is between you and the Landlord (owner of the property), not the ...
How the does the eviction process take on average?4/21/2011
  Q: Once I am served with an "Unlawful Detainer" how long on average in the state of California does the ...
  A: Wanda, you can expect to have between 3-10 days AFTER the court hearing to move out. So if your ...
Renting home with pool3/29/2011
  Q: How do I protect myself as the landlord when renting my home to a tenant?What am I liable for?What ...
  A: Brenda, thanks for the question. First, I have to point out that these are very general questions ...
Landlord/Tenant Issue3/7/2011
  Q: My husband and I moved into an apartment in Helena, Montana in July of 2010 with a property ...
  A: Nicole, thank you for the question! The first thing you need to understand is that verbal ...
Property Harrassment and recourse2/27/2011
  Q: I own a home and have been trying to sell for over a year. I understand the market is bad, but I ...
  A: Yes, you need to collect some evidence. How do you know who's doing it? If you haven't witnessed ...
Trustee Voting2/13/2011
  Q: Our Homeowner Associations By-Laws say, "Co-owners, including husbands and wives, shall be ...
  A: First, you are asking about two different things. The intent of your By-Laws is to limit each house ...

All Questions in This Category

Residential Property Management

Nathan Gesner

Top Expert on this page