Residential Property Management/Questions Answered by Expert Doug Chasick, The Apartment Doctor

SubjectDate Asked
It has been at least 15 years !3/28/2014
  Q: Doug I remember you from Vinings Group! You were so fun especially with the funny glasses/big nose ...
  A: Wow - long time is right - so nice to be remembered and to hear from you! Your company website is ...
Property Management10/7/2013
  Q: I need to find a property manager in Grand Junction, Colorado. Can you point me in the right ...
  A: While I don't know any property management firms out there well enough to recommend one, I can ...
Fair Housing Certificate5/2/2013
  Q: I attended your course on 4/23/13 in Richmond and can't seem to locate where to go to on the site to ...
  A: Since VAMA sponsored the event, you'll have to contact them for the certificate. I'll forward this ...
Managing owner's property as employee3/28/2013
  Q: It has always been my understanding that if you were working for the owner of a property as an ...
  A: That is my understanding and experience as well, and the place to look to confirm that would be the ...
Raising Rents Webinar1/24/2013
  Q: I listened to your recorded webinar. Very informative. Question I have is, you state to ROUND UP the ...
  A: I'm glad you found it informative!I'm suggesting rounding up prices to end in a "9". If your ...
CAM > CAPS > CPM12/11/2012
  Q: I read one of your articles and found it quite helpful. I am currently a licensed real estate broker ...
  A: I'm glad I could be of assistance. Having a four year degree is one way to satisfy the requirements ...
IREM vs. NAA7/25/2012
  Q: I am a property manager at a 806 unit residential market rent apartment complex and I am trying to ...
  A: The CAM from NAA or the ARM from IREM would be the most useful for onsite staff; given the size of ...
IREM vs. NAA7/25/2012
  Q: I am trying to have my employer sponsor myself and other employees to obtain professional ...
Management Plan preperation4/18/2012
  Q: I operate small property management company in NYC and we have been asked client who is requesting a ...
  A: A management plan is typically a comprehensive document that contains an analysis of the property, a ...
Requirements for Leasing agents or apartment Mangers in Texas7/18/2011
  Q: Doug, I am a Real Estate agent in Oklahoma and am relocating to Texas. I have been doing Property ...
  A: According to the TX Real Estate Commission, they do not have reciprocity with any other states; ...
Lease6/12/2011
  Q: I have tenant who has signed a year lease and has been leasing from me for the past 1 year and ...
  A: Good morning Anthony, Thanks for writing. Sorry to say that I'm in FL, and am not familiar with the ...
Question about the industry6/7/2011
  Q: My name is Andrew and I have a question related to the CPM, the designation and a career as a ...
  A: Sorry to say I know nothing about REIC or the CMP - I live in FL and work exclusively in the US. ...
on site apartment manager5/31/2011
  Q: I have questions like, is the on site manager required to be on the property 24 hours a day? Is ...
  A: Each company has it's own requirements so there is no single answer to your first questions. ...
Becoming a Certified Property Manager3/7/2011
  Q: I have been searching the web like mad trying to locate a PCAM course. I was told by my boss that ...
  A: I'm sorry for the delay in responding. The Community Associations Institute used to award the PCAM ...
Third party manager1/22/2011
  Q: What are the requirement under the following conditions: I am currently a leasing consultant for ...
  A: Sorry and I'm not familiar with the CA RE law. You can check out the law here: ...
Accounting and management software for condominium1/19/2011
  Q: We are changing from a management company to having an individual manager who can be on site for ...
  A: I'm sorry to say that I'm not very familiar with the smaller property management software, and I ...
property management11/9/2010
  Q: I have been a property manager for 8 years- recently lost my job due to downsizing I would like to ...
  A: I'm not familiar with the law in NM, however every state I have ever worked in (20+) has required a ...
Requirement to have onsite manager10/4/2010
  Q: How many apartments, at one location, would require that you have an on-site-manager? If you have ...
  A: Good morning, There is no set answer - I don't believe in "rules of thumb" - so it really depends ...
Management Agreement9/8/2010
  Q: We are a professional mgmt. company and have an owner balking at a couple of provisions in our ...
  A: Based on what I have done and what I have seen in the past: 1. Managing purchasing, including ...
property mgmt software6/28/2010
  Q: I own 103 rental units (8 bldgs) and am interested in property management software (currently do all ...
  A: I suggest you try one of these sites for more info as they are focused on portfolios like yours. ...
Management Fees6/18/2010
  Q: Can you give me an average management fee rate for a 250 unit apartment complex (student primarily) ...
  A: In a word, no. I don't believe there is an "average" management fee anymore! Here in FL, I see ...
CPM vs.CAM6/15/2010
  Q: I will be starting school to become a Certified Apartment Manager in a couple months and I'm ...
  A: The CAM designation offered by NAAEI is an excellent program (I teach the course quite often!) and ...
Illinois will soon require property managers to be licensed?5/7/2010
  Q: I am a leasing agent about to be promoted to property manager, a friend saw an article on ...
  A: What your friend is referring to is the law effective 7/1/10 requiring Community Association ...
CE Classes4/20/2010
  Q: I am looking for someone in the South Florida area that can teach CE Classes for property managers. ...
  A: Not sure what you are looking for - CE for a FL RE License or CE for an NAA or NAHB designate ...
Residential property management- rental capacity planning2/20/2010
  Q: When property managers budget for capacity planning, if 50% tunrover is an average annual turnover, ...
  A: I'm always leary of "rules of thumb", and here goes . . . I would suggest calculating your ...
Property/Portfolio Managers with Bad Credit2/11/2010
  Q: I just accepted a leasing consultant position at a luxury apartment community with more than 150 ...
  A: I can't really give you a definitive answer; it really depends on the company. Some companies might ...
requirements2/3/2010
  Q: I manage a 60 unit apartment complex in Florida. Is it a requirement that I live on site? We are ...
  A: I'm not aware of any state requirement for a manager to live onsite. Regarding a service or ...
resident activities1/25/2010
  Q: can you give me any ideas? Thank You.
  A: This is not really my forte and here are some resources for you to check out - I'm sure you'll find ...
How to say nicely - No Dogs Allowed12/2/2009
  Q: A homeowner recently rented their condo to tenant with a dog. Although, there are no mentioned of ...
  A: I'm traveling and teaching for the next two weeks, so please accept my apologies in advance for not ...
On Site Manager Requirement11/14/2009
  Q: Is there a requirement for an onsite manager for an apartment complex over a certain size in ...
  A: You will need to research this at the CA Department of Real Estate to see if there are any specific ...
Apartment unit numbers10/22/2009
  Q: Do you know a free website where I can find out how many apartment units are in a city, county, or ...
  A: Good morning Todd: No, sorry; I don't know of any sites where you could get that info for free ...
opening new business as property management company10/20/2009
  Q: I am trying to start a new management company, I will like to know if there is a site or institution ...
  A: I'm sorry and since I don't work with condos/townhomes, I'm not familiar with where to find this ...
Single Family Property Management9/30/2009
  Q: I have been approached by several clients to manage their single family residences when they are not ...
  A: Sorry and I really don't know! I don't do single family homes - these are almost always managed by ...
License requirements.9/20/2009
  Q: Doug, Im a real estate sales agent. I want to start my own property management company here in FL. I ...
  A: Good morning: To the best of my knowledge, you must hold a Real Estate Broker license in Florida if ...
lease renewal closing percentage8/25/2009
  Q: I hope you can help us...We have searched such sites as the NAA, Grace Hill, etc. It is easy to ...
  A: Under normal conditions, depending upon your market and type/age/condition of community, and annual ...
Property Management, Inc.8/4/2009
  Q: I am looking at buying a property management franchise from Property Management, Inc.. (i.e. Nevada ...
  A: I'm very sorry and I can't help you on this one; I have never heard of that company or Steven R. ...
Property management6/11/2009
  Q: We are a new start up company in Oregon. We have obtained a couple of landlords that are not ...
  A: Typically, the owner provides the existing company with notice to end the management agreement and ...
Certificates3/5/2009
  Q: Where can I get my CPM CAPS ARM RAM certificates in the city of Los Angeles?
  A: CPM, ARM; IREM (www.irem.org) Chapter Office Hong Tran - IREM Association Executive Attn: Hong ...
Property Management2/13/2009
  Q: What do the initials HUD/FMHA/RD stand for in terms of the type of property?
  A: I'm not sure what you are asking me, so here goes . . . HUD - The Department of Housing and Urban ...
PropertyManagement2/10/2009
  Q: I have 25 years expierence in PM and would like to start my own small PM company. Where can I go for ...
  A: www.IREM.org www.NAAHQ.org www.NAHB.org www.NARPM.org are the major associations for rental ...
property management fees2/3/2009
  Q: We own 5 small apartment buildings in San Antonio. We have been managing them ourselves but now ...
  A: Depending upon a number of different factors, a typical management fee is typically a % of gross ...
Property manager1/27/2009
  Q: I live in Florida and have a real estate certificate(I never took the state exam).I also have a CAM ...
  A: As I understand it, in order to manage a condo or Homeowner Association here in FL, you need a CAM - ...
Operating Legally1/12/2009
  Q: You probably don't remember, but I worked with you brieflt at NRM. Many years ago, I know! I am ...
  A: I'm very sorry for the late reply; I have been out of the office for over a week. In every state I ...
2nd year On-Site Apt Manager Compensation11/24/2008
  Q: What is fair compensation for managing a 12 Unit, older apt complex w/ high turn-over and ...
  A: I'm sorry to say there are no "rules of thumb" about compensation - I have absolutely no idea what ...
Setting up Turn-Key Management9/14/2008
  Q: Doug, I am developer/owner/manager of very high end apartments in an urban neighborhood in Baltimore ...
  A: Good morning Joe: Although I don't have experience managing properties of this size, I can ...
cam licence9/12/2008
  Q: what is a cam license? what cam stands for? and where can i take the licence? how much is the ...
  A: Here in Florida, a CAM (Community Association Manager) license is required for anyone who manages ...
Lease-Up/Renewals9/6/2008
  Q: This is regarding a 119-unit property in a hot market. The ownership group just raised rents ...
  A: Sorry for the delay, my corporate spam filter is out of control!! In 34 years, I have never found a ...
Property Management Advertising9/3/2008
  Q: Doug, Thanks for answering all these questions. I've recently started a property management ...
  A: Sorry for the late reply - for some reason my corporate spam filter has been blocking these emails ...
Property manager's fee9/3/2008
  Q: I recently became the manager of a 4-plex, I only deal with the maintenance of the building, the ...
  A: I've never heard of such an arrangement. The details of your fee and how it is earned should be ...
residential property management8/24/2008
  Q: Doug: I saw that you are from Long Island and I am from the Albany/ Troy area. I have been managing ...
  A: I'm sorry and I have no experience or knowledge regarding smaller multifamily properties; these are ...
Deceased Property Owner - no will8/18/2008
  Q: A property owner has passed away and I am the property manager. She left no will and lived in a ...
  A: Wow - I'm sorry to hear this and I have never encountered a situation like this. I would first speak ...
condo fire safty rules and regs.8/14/2008
  Q: i am looking for fire safety rules for condos. do such rules exist i need to know is it is ...
  A: Sorry and I don't manage condos. Here are some sites that you might find helpful: ...
Licensing in Florida8/13/2008
  Q: What licenses are required to manage apartment communities in Florida from leasing agent to multi ...
  A: You should check with the Florida Real Estate Commission for rental apartments - ...
Financial reporting8/13/2008
  Q: Doug, I'm starting a property management division in our real estate brokerage firm. What are the ...
  A: Scott: Typically you would send an income & expense statement each month, with a general ledger, ...
license to manage 2 properties8/11/2008
  Q: I own a unit in a condo building in Virginia that I manage myself. Another owner in the building is ...
  A: In most states, you must have a real estate broker's license to manage property for someone else. If ...
management increase8/3/2008
  Q: Am I allowed to increase my management fee by $15.00 during the course of the agreement and would i ...
  A: First of all, I would suggest consulting a contract law attorney before you make any changes. ...
New Owner7/21/2008
  Q: Recently a tenant backed into another tenant's garage. The tenant who owns the garage, can still ...
  A: This is really a legal question, so I can't give you any concrete advice without reading the leases ...
Property Management Fee7/19/2008
  Q: I am a general partner in a Trust property. We own a 285-unit mobile home park-rent the space that ...
  A: I'm sorry and I have never managed one of these. For an apartment community, the typical management ...
Property Mangament7/9/2008
  Q: Do you have to have a license to be a property manager in kentucky? And if so what license do you ...
  A: I'm sorry, I don't know; I've never worked in Kentucky. In all of the states I have worked, only a ...
contract for property manager6/25/2008
  Q: Do you have a form that spells out the duties of a property manager?
  A: No, I'm sorry I don't. Here are some places you should be able to get the information you're looking ...
Non-Renewal letter to tenant6/20/2008
  Q: I would like to know if there is a simple format letter to notify a tenant that you are not renewing ...
  A: I'm sorry and I don't have a sample letter; I have listed a couple of websites below that you might ...
fair housing6/19/2008
  Q: I am currently an assistant property manager in the state of Missouri and many of our phone calls ...
  A: This is not really a fair housing issue, as you weren't treating someone in a discriminatory manner; ...
Recruiting a Resident Manager5/20/2008
  Q: What is the most efficient way for an independent investment company to recruit and hire an ...
  A: As you are painfully aware, there is no one best way to accomplish this. I belive in hiring for ...
Property Management Manuals4/10/2008
  Q: I am starting a new property management company with about 700 units. I need a property operations ...
  A: I highly recommend Rich George at NOI Coach. NOI Coach Richard George 3787 Lincolnshire Rd. Suite ...
Maintenance Upcharge3/31/2008
  Q: We own a property management company in Texas (600 units). For maintenance we have in-house paid ...
  A: Sorry for the delay in responding; I've been traveling all week and just got back last night. I ...
getting started in Property Management3/24/2008
  Q: I live in Florida and have recently opened a property management company, after working for about 6 ...
  A: I'm sorry and your request is much too complex for me to address fully. You'll obviously need to ...
New Rental Property3/3/2008
  Q: I'm the new owner of a 52 unit building and there are several pets already in residence. Can I ...
  A: Unless there is something in your local or state landlord/tenant law that specifically prohibits it, ...
Property Management2/19/2008
  Q: What liscense are needed to become a property manager for an apartment complex? I live in NC and ...
  A: I'm sorry and I cannot answer this question for you because the answer depends on the laws of the ...
QUESTION? PROP-MAN Help!2/15/2008
  Q: as a licensed real estate agent, can I have my own property management company (say LLC or C corp) ...
  A: Generally speaking, you must be a real estate broker (or be affiliated with a real estate broker) to ...
looking for info on GA2/15/2008
  Q: It's Kelli Brain from the old days (NRM & VIP), just in case you forgot who I am. I couldn't find ...
  A: Hey! As if I wouldn't remember you! Hope all is well with you. Sorry and I don't know about ...
property management fees - 27 units2/13/2008
  Q: My wife and I are the onsite property managers for 27 bungalow units. In two years, we've kept the ...
  A: I'm sorry and I am not familar with your market or with properties that small. The only suggestion I ...
Becoming a Property Manager2/6/2008
  Q: Doug, Looking for Property Management training and is a leasing license required? I have some ...
  A: First of all, licensure depends on your location and if you will be working for someone else or for ...
licensing for property management2/4/2008
  Q: Regarding managing a community property in texas. If one works as an employee for a property ...
  A: I'm very sorry and I cannot answer this question. In my experience, every state requires anyone ...
  A: The licensure requirements vary from state to state, so I cannot answer your question since I don't ...
property management company2/4/2008
  Q: I have been helped my relatives manage several rental properties. I am interested to own a property ...
  A: In my experience, every state requires residential property managers to be real estate brokers - ...
Income to expenes2/2/2008
  Q: Somewhere I read that when you are considering investing in residential investment property that ...
  A: Without knowing more details about the property and the market, it is impossible to do anything ...
rental1/27/2008
  Q: I live in tennessee and I have a small office building 5000 sq ft, one level.....half offices and ...
  A: It would take a significant amount of research into your local market, your competition, and the ...
Leasing Questions1/26/2008
  Q: I have been looking around for information about becoming a residential leasing agent, but most of ...
  A: I have no personal experience with the issues you are researching. I would suggest the following ...
Becoming A building manager1/23/2008
  Q: ! I was wondering if you could tell me what to expect when going for a building managers interview. ...
  A: This is a REALLY broad question with so many variables that I simply cannot give you any specific ...
Resident Manager Wages / Finding a Program1/22/2008
  Q: I am a resident property manager in Los Angeles, Ca. Although I was originally told I would receive ...
  A: I'm sorry and I cannot comment on anything regarding compensation or state employment laws. I can ...
Rental Management Company in GA1/17/2008
  Q: Hey Doug, I hope you are doing well. I noticed that you are a broker in GA. Do you know of a good ...
  A: Sorry for the delay in responding; I've been "under the weather". What type of property are you ...
Commercial Tenant Lease Buyouts1/17/2008
  Q: What would be some reasons for allowing a tenant to buyout of his/her lease?
  A: I'm sorry to sound like Capt. Obvious and in my experience, the only reason to allow a buyout - I'm ...
Starting Property Mgmt. Business1/11/2008
  Q: I would like to start a property management business but I don't know where to start. I have ...
  A: I'm sorry and I am swamped right now - I can't give you all the information you need and I can give ...
Property Management Job12/15/2007
  Q: I was wondering if a person needs the CPM title in order to successfully land a property management ...
  A: Although the CPM is the most prestigious designation in property management, you don't need it to ...
Property Management Contracts12/7/2007
  Q: I am just getting started on my own, I have been doing this for over 15 years...But I need a good ...
  A: I would check with your local Board of Realtors and the Institute of Real Estate Management - ...
CAM and leasing12/2/2007
  Q: Can a property manager with a CAM license working at a condo conversion do leasing at that same ...
  A: Although I live in Florida, I am not a licensed CAM and am not familiar with the requirements and ...
changing resident profile11/12/2007
  Q: My company manages an apartment community in Atlanta with a high population of immigrants, many ...
  A: As I'm sure you know, discrimination based upon national origin and race is illegal - if you are ...
CPM10/22/2007
  Q: it's Steve M! How are you?? I just found you here so I thought I'd send a question. I'm looking ...
  A: Good question, I'm not sure. I'll talk to my friends at IREM and find out for you. I'm just leaving ...
Aspiring property manager10/2/2007
  Q: I am an owner of a real estate company in Honolulu. We handle primarily residential sales of buyers ...
  A: There are several sources for Policies and Procedyres manuals; obviously you'll need to replace alot ...
homework question?10/1/2007
  Q: Sir, Im not sure what you mean by "Sorry, but I don't answer homework questions..". Are you ...
  A: Bobby - I sent the answer I did because there was nothing in your question that you couldn't have ...
Occupancy Limits in Apartments9/26/2007
  Q: Good Afternoon Mr. Chasick, I am a Site Manager for a complex in Eagan, MN. I have a new resident ...
  A: There is no "official" national occupancy limit - the only occupancy limits I've seen are imposed by ...
Fair Housing Seminars3/26/2007
  Q: Doug, I know that you do online training for Fair Housing. Is it better for a large property mgmt ...
  A: I'm sorry for the late reply; I have been out of the office with limited access to email. My ...
Online Marketing2/27/2007
  Q: I have a question that I hope you can help me out with. I am working on our marketing campaign for ...
  A: I'm sorry for the delay in responding; I have been out of the office all week. I am not aware of ...
Rental Property12/28/2006
  Q: I am looking to rent my home in Melbourne FL. Do you know where I can locate a good property ...
  A: Sorry, I don't know of any companies who will manage/lease anything under 100 - 150 units. Your best ...
My tenants Utilities expenses are too high12/19/2006
  Q: I would like to know what could I do in this situation. I rent my duplex which includes their ...
  A: It sounds like you are including utilities in the rent. If that is the case, then your only options ...
Interview questions to obtain property managment company11/28/2006
  Q: I own a 12 plex in AZ. I need to find a property managment company to manage this property. I want ...
  A: Sorry and I really cannot help you with this; you will probably be dealing with a Realtor or real ...
Property Manager11/18/2006
  Q: I want to start my own Property Managment company in Texas. I don't believe I have to be a Realtor ...
  A: Every state I have ever worked in requires a real estate broker's license to manage and lease real ...
Front Door Camera in IP environment11/2/2006
  Q: I am designing a new IP based telecoms infrastructure for MDUs and am wondering what to do about ...
  A: I'm sorry and I have not really heard very much about this as an important amenity to most property ...
Property Management Licensing9/26/2006
  Q: Is it true that you can start a property management business when you are a "Registered Property ...
  A: Vick: In most states, you need a real estate broker's license to manage properties - a professional ...
multi media8/8/2006
  Q: I am going to be teaching a course in residential property management this Fall and am looking for ...
  A: I am not aware of any videos or dvds that are not sold for private use. IREM (www.irem.org) and NAA ...
Management Fees7/30/2006
  Q: Mr. Chasick, Can you tell me how I could determine an average managment fee for a rental property ...
  A: Josh, there is no set management fee. Many years ago, a management fee of 5% of the collected income ...
Residential Properties Management Company7/19/2006
  Q: I would like to hire a residential property management company to help managing my condo in Redwood ...
  A: I'm sorry and I am not familiar with who is good out there (I live in Melbourne Beach, FL). Do you ...
On Site Management7/15/2006
  Q: Does an apartment complex have to have an onsite manager? The apartment is in Round Rock Texas.
  A: Not, not necessarily - it might be managed by someone at another property or by someone in a central ...
Property management salaries7/15/2006
  Q: Generally speaking, how and how much are property managers paid for managing rental units (between ...
  A: It is really impossible for me to even give you a range for this, Kathleen - compensation plans vary ...
Contract for a Property Manager7/11/2006
  Q: I will be renting out my home soon. My lease requires the Tenant to electronically deposit the rent ...
  A: You can look at the following websites for information: http://www.mrlandlord.com ...
Property Mangement /fees6/7/2006
  Q: I have a twenty unit apartment building that is currently vacant and I am concerning using a ...
  A: I am not familiar with the Chicago market, and usually a "regular" property management company will ...
Nusaince Evictions in a Section8/Tax Credit property5/6/2006
  Q: We have several residents on our property who are constantly late with payment of rent..causing ...
  A: Without reading your lease, knowing the landlord-tenant law of the jurisdiction you operate in, ...
lease renewal5/3/2006
  Q: My mother has been renting an apt. for years. This year there was no mention of a new lease. She ...
  A: In almost every place I have worked across the country, there is language in the lease (or a ...
Salary for Certified Apartment Manager4/20/2006
  Q: Chasick - I am putting together a proposal for re-negotiating my salary with my supervisor. I am a ...
  A: I'm very sorry and I just don't know. Unlike market rents, there are not many surveys published ...
resident activities2/9/2006
  Q: What kinds of new and creative ideas have you seen for resident activities?
  A: Since I no longer manage communities on a daily basis, I don't feel like I can give you an accurate ...
Reducing building expenses11/1/2005
  Q: We own about 100 units in the mid-west and north east, a number of which we pay heating and water ...
  A: Sorry for the late response; for some reason I did not receive notification about your question ...
Rental Raties Nationwide8/20/2005
  Q: I am a property investor looking for data on rental rates in markets throughout the United States. ...
  A: This is my favorite source for that type of data: ...
Maintenance5/24/2005
  Q: My question is a two part question. How do you create and maintain a maintenance budget? Also, ...
  A: The first part of your question is just way too complicated for me to address here. I suggest you ...
max occ4/13/2005
  Q: I have a rental question. I live in Quincy California. I want to rent a two bedroom house. I have my ...
  A: While there is no federal law that specifically spells out an occupancy standard, most landlords use ...
Residential rent index4/5/2005
  Q: What's a good rent index to determine rent prices in Pasadena, Los Angeles? Are there any ...
  A: If you are looking for HUD Fair Market Rents, go to www.hud.gov. For conventional properties, your ...
eviction attempts3/2/2005
  Q: We moved into this house November of last year. Up until February, the rent has been paid in ...
  A: I'm not an attorney and so I cannot give you any advice about your situation. ANY eviction action is ...
real estate management1/3/2005
  Q: I am a real estate agent in Rhode Island. I have been asked to manage rental property for one of my ...
  A: First of all, I'm 99% certain that you need to be licensed as a Real Estate Broker in your state in ...
Lease non-renewal12/16/2004
  Q: My mother has received a lease non-renewal/termination letter after living at her apt. for 9 years. ...
  A: Good morning Tina: Remembering that I AM NOT an attorney, to the best of my knowledge, the state of ...
Help12/14/2004
  Q: I do not know if you can help me or not but it doesn't hurt to try. Back in March I moved out of ...
  A: I'm afraid I don't have any good news for you. If you signed the lease, then you are responsible for ...
Rental price increases10/14/2004
  Q: I live in Albany, NY. I want to find out how much rental prices have increased for single-family ...
  A: Sorry, I have no experience with single family homes or with the Albany NY area (I'm a former Long ...
CAM starting pay9/5/2004
  Q: Chasick, Can you please tell me what you think would be a midrange starting pay (per hr.)for a part ...
  A: Very sorry about the delay in responding; we just got power & internet back - hurricane Francis made ...
interview8/12/2004
  Q: apartment job I need your help in a question. I was asked when I had an interview for a building ...
  A: Sory for the delay in answering; I live in Melbourne Beach, FL and was very busy preparing for ...
job interveiw8/12/2004
  Q: Aparment building manager If you were asked ,what are the 5 most important things you should know ...
job interveiw8/12/2004
CAM or CPM6/1/2004
  Q: I am from Abilene, TX and I have been an Assistant Property Manager for 6 years. There is not a lot ...
  A: The CPM designation is recognized as the most valuable in our industry. The CAM offered by NAA ...
What constitutes bad credit for a renter?5/27/2004
  Q: My husband and I got married in March, and we are looking for an apartment or house to rent. ...
  A: Good morning Andreia: Yes, what you describe would not be considered "good credit", however there ...
Fair Housing4/28/2004
  Q: I understand you have a web site about fair housing issues. Can you send that to me? Thanks.
  A: My website (www.NOINews.com) is about apartment management in general, and has fair housing ...
Apartments/Furnished vs. Unfurnished4/11/2004
  Q: Chasick, I'll be looking real soon for an apartment in Nashville, Tennessee. I'm single/no ...
  A: On the east coast, the typical apartment in an apartment community will come with all appliances; ...
property management3/10/2004
  Q: Here's my question. I am in California and I own a condo in another town close to Los Angeles. My ...
  A: Since I'm not an attorney and have not seen the condo docs, I really cannot comment on the validity ...
leasing condo out of state2/28/2004
  Q: I own a brand new condo in largo, fl. Sits in the middle of a golf course. I live in Springfield Mo. ...
  A: Good morning Ally: Managing your own rental property, especially if you can't get in the car and ...
Renting Home/Apartment2/27/2004
  Q: I'm moving to Nashville, Tennessee in April and will be looking preferrably for a two bedroom home ...
  A: Good morning, Mike: The most important thing you need to know is whether or not you can run a ...
inspecting apartments before move-in2/24/2004
  Q: I once knew a young woman who said she inspected apartments all around town to make sure that they ...
  A: Sorry, and I have not seen that done. Many companies use outside "Mystery Shopper" companies that ...
children and balls1/20/2004
  Q: There are about 8 apartments that share a common grassy area and sidewalk. Of these 8 apartments, 5 ...
  A: Without seeing a copy of your lease, I cannot give you an absolute answer, however the manager does ...

All Questions in This Category

Residential Property Management

Doug Chasick, The Apartment Doctor

Top Expert on this page