Residential Property Management/Questions Answered by Expert Stefani Nachatilo

SubjectDate Asked
condo6/12/2016
  Q: I live in Potomac Oaks Condos in Gaithersburg md with Debbie and Camila as office personnel. There ...
  A: Normally condos have some kind of operating board of directors. Document the mismanagement and ...
Lease6/16/2014
  Q: Good day With reference to the rental of a townhome that I rented through a realtor last year and ...
  A: You can definitely use the old lease. You can copy and write in the changes or retype the entire ...
Lease Question6/6/2014
  Q: With reference to a Florida condo rental, as the landlord I have the following questions: 1. My ...
  A: you will have to look at your contract with the realtor. There may be a clause in there that if you ...
Escrow deposits4/16/2014
  Q: When tenants escrow deposits are held in a separate account just for deposits and part of the ...
  A: Any forfeited deposits are definitely income to the owner. If you are using qickbooks, you can ...
Beginner question11/30/2013
  Q: I live in PA and want to work towards a real estate broker license; are there any accredited online ...
  A: In Oklahoma where I live, we have a school that has all kinds of ways to get a license. You can ...
3-day notice8/9/2013
  Q: Is there a form available for giving a tenant, delinquent on rent, a 3-day Notice to Pay or Quit the ...
  A: I'm not sure where you are located and the laws in your state might be different than mine. I would ...
Property Management4/1/2013
  Q: I have managed my rental home for a few years now and would like to start a property management ...
  A: but I'm in Oklahoma too. (Oklahoma city) Unfortunately, there is no legal way around the sponsorship ...
Questions.2/20/2013
  Q: Good day With reference to the renting out of a townhome for the first time I have the following ...
  A: 1 - when a tenant contracts for water or electricity the contract is between the provider of the ...
renting a home in arizona12/1/2012
  Q: My husband and I have decided to move by our children in Arizona due to the fact in 2010 my husband ...
  A: perhaps you have found a place by now but if not here are some of my suggestions . first do not let ...
help taking over property8/30/2012
  Q: I am moving down to Glendale to live with my girlfriend. she lost her home and no is moving into an ...
  A: the good news is that since your girlfriend is the property owner, you do not need a license to ...
better rental choice8/21/2012
  Q: My question is that my girlfriend, her best friend, and I are looking for apartments to move into. ...
  A: as a property manager, here are my concerns if I was looking at you three as applicants. 1) the ...
repair of condo building8/10/2012
  Q: I own a condo in a building that has 16 units. The building was built in 1979. The building need ...
  A: A condo is usually made up of owners because you each own the units individually. The "homeowners ...
Oklahoma license requirement7/7/2012
  Q: Hey Stefani, I am doing the preliminary research on opening a residential property management home ...
  A: Right now my husband is a licensed real estate broker as we have decided it just looks better and ...
Flats5/18/2012
  Q: Is living in a flat less costly than living in an apartment or house? Is it possible to own a flat? ...
  A: I'm sorry I will not be much help to you on this issue. As far as I know, we don't have flats here ...
Rental House Search?5/6/2012
  Q: How are you? I live in Waco, Texas, and currently, I am moving out of my house at the end of the ...
  A: Sounds like you've done a good job searching. Our first source is craigs list. Second would be ...
Management Plan4/18/2012
  Q: I own a small property management company in NYC and we have been asked client who is requesting a ...
  A: I sorry I cannot answer this question. We have been in business for over 16 years, and I've never ...
Managing own property vs property manager4/11/2012
  Q: I have 15+ residential rentals in Tulsa County. I lived there and managed myself. I moved to ...
  A: from the Oklahoma Real Estate Commission. ...
sec 84/7/2012
  Q: Dear Mike, I have 2 questions. The first is: I am a senior US citizen and I live in New York, NY ...
  A: I've been away from my email for the last week. I'm familiar with the section 8 program and imagine ...
Property Management1/30/2012
  Q: I'm thinking about purchasing a condominium and have a management company to look after it. My ...
  A: You would need to check and see if there is a home owner association for this community. If so, ...
Forming a tenant placement company in Pa8/24/2011
  Q: I will try and keep this a short and to the point as possible. I am a real estate investor in Pa, my ...
  A: I've been out of town. Since I'm not familiar with the laws of PA, I'll give you my general ...
Apartment Credit Checks8/10/2011
  Q: I will be purchasing a new car in about three weeks. Although I am able to pay cash for the car, I ...
  A: From the landlord's viewpoint, we expect tenants to have a car payment as well as a few credit card ...
Lease6/12/2011
  Q: I have tenant who has signed a year lease and has been leasing from me for the past 1 year and ...
  A: but here's my view. Since the original lease states in the lease that it converts to a month to ...
lease expiration, notification to vacate5/31/2011
  Q: If a tenant refuses to sign another year's lease preferring a month to month arrangement, how many ...
  A: I'm not an attorney so I can't say with certainly the laws in your state. Most generally speaking, ...
land trusts2/22/2011
  Q: I noticed you commented on land trust a while ago and would like your advice: If I already have a ...
  A: I have never worked with foundations and have no knowledge of their estate planning status or the ...
Lease12/4/2010
  Q: I know you probably don't specialize in these kinds of questions, but I have a problem. I have left ...
  A: this is not the answer you are probably hoping for. Yes, most likely. If you signed a lease, you ...
Stay at Model Apartment8/3/2010
  Q: I am trying to least an apartment at Michigan. The manager told me that I will be able to move in ...
  A: Not all apts have models that one can move into and delays are common when repairs need to be made. ...
Getting Started8/2/2010
  Q: My name is Rob Castor. I'm in my early 20s and looking to start my own Property Management company ...
  A: Why just be a property management company, why not be your own property investor/manager? I think ...
Buying a rental property with the remainder of my Home Equity Line7/28/2010
  Q: I have spent most of my home equity line repairing and improving my home. With the market the way it ...
  A: not knowing your age and risk tolerance and financial circumstances it would be difficult for me to ...
landlord's behavior7/24/2010
  Q: Can a landlord do this? I was sitting in my living room at my computer, working, in my nightgown. ...
  A: He must serve you proper notice. If he's just canceling the lease, he must give you a 30 day ...
Property Manager or self-Managed?6/9/2010
  Q: I have been researching market tendencies around having a property professionally managed versus ...
  A: The going rate for property management -- at least in our area, is 1/2 months' rent as a fee for ...
Roomate rental etc.6/1/2010
  Q: "Hello Stefani, There are no experts for a category involving roomate's etc. So thought I would give ...
  A: And in other countries, its done routinely because in most places one family cannot afford an entire ...
Just Starting5/18/2010
  Q: Stefani, I am currently working as a finance analyst for a large mortgage servicer in Jacksonville ...
  A: about mortgage or no mortgage. That is really a personal decision based on your personal beliefs. ...
I am an Illinois Real Estate Broker willing to get into Property Management.5/7/2010
  Q: I am the Broker/Owner of a Real Estate Office in Illinois I would like to get into Property ...
  A: Of course, I'm not familiar with the law in Illinois, but my best guess/opinion is that yes, you can ...
quicken with owner occupied rental4/22/2010
  Q: hmm, not sure if you are a quicken expert but here we go. I live in an owner-occupied multifamily ...
  A: but I would do it in two journal entries -- say instead of writing a check or trying to do it in one ...
renting an apartment3/10/2010
  Q: I, renter, they, the employee/manager of the company leasing the apartment, signed a "deposit to ...
  A: So here is my opinion. The manger/employee is an acting agent for the company and the company is ...
Common area heating2/28/2010
  Q: I have at 5 floor 8-unit apartment unrestricted apartment building. All tenents are responsible for ...
  A: I believe it would be legal. However, unless and until you add that to the lease, I do not think ...
Short term rental2/18/2010
  Q: I am in the process of buying a townhouse in Florida and would like to do short term rentals. Do I ...
  A: I'm not sure what the laws are in the state of florida. That being said, you can do what you wish ...
rental Management2/17/2010
  Q: Does a property management company require an affiliation with an Real estate company to be a ...
  A: One can always manage their own property or a piece of property they have an interest in without any ...
Renting my condo2/11/2010
  Q: I am considering renting out my condo for $1100 to $1400. My expenses are the mortgage(principal, ...
  A: you can offset your expenses for repairs, insurance, taxes, special assessments, condo fees against ...
Real Estate transfer /LLC1/30/2010
  Q: I had 5 rental properties in an LLC owned by my trust. I paid someone to transfer 2 of these ...
  A: First, We limit our properties per llc to around 10 - 15 units. Each llc has to file it's own tax ...
property gain (loss) taxes1/3/2010
  Q: My wife and I own two houses. One is our primary house and one is a multi-family rental house. We ...
  A: but I think you both can sell each property and not claim capital gains if: you lived in the house ...
Property location scandal12/4/2009
  Q: my name is Anatoly and I am from Ukraine. I did not find a proper category for my inquiry, neither I ...
  A: but being totally uninformed about the Ukraine and how their housing works, I cannot help you. I ...
I have a petition of over 51% of community support against my Homeowner Association Rulings can I win?11/12/2009
  Q: I am being cited for several violations that my homeowners have placed against me for having an ...
  A: 2nd, the board thought it enough of a violation to write you a notice. You probably need to speak ...
carpets in apartment11/10/2009
  Q: One year ago, I and my husband, no children, moved into an apartment. Everything went ok. Now, 1 ...
  A: I'm sure your lease says that you have quiet enjoyment of your property and that means you are ...
leaving on short notice and sec deposit10/31/2009
  Q: "I have a problem: I live in New York. (This is not the problem, haha, my problem follows...) I ...
  A: Usually when you leave on short notice, it is grounds for a manager to keep your deposit. You can ...
renting an apartment10/30/2009
  Q: The last 4 years I lived abroad with my husband. When my husband died, I returned to the US. I want ...
  A: I can assure you, that someone would love to have you as a renter. Some companies are run by policy ...
3 day pay or quit notice and unlawful detainer10/24/2009
  Q: My father-in-law served his tenant a 3 day pay rent or quit notice . then an unlawful detainer ...
  A: I'm not certain of the laws or procedures in your state. First make sure the tenant didn't just ...
Security deposit9/9/2009
  Q: I have been given a security deposit for a commercial property do I bank it and hold on to it or ...
  A: but we do have one commercial building. We keep our deposits in a trust account. Which is a ...
Seniors Rights9/5/2009
  Q: I recently rented a house in Southern California with my 84 year old dad, 5 month old ...
  A: If so, the landlord is responsible for having it in working condition. YOu can send them a written ...
notice to landlord9/3/2009
  Q: "Dear Madam, I have a month-to-month tenancy with an oral lease, no written lease. So, this is ...
  A: You might do a google serach and see if you can find a written copy of the laws. You might also be ...
notice to landlord9/2/2009
  Q: I have a month-to-month tenancy with an oral lease, no written lease. So, this is actually a ...
  A: so please disregard this if it's a duplicate. I'm not familiar with the landlord laws of New York. ...
want to begin property management consulting company8/11/2009
  Q: Someone had asked you the question on how to start a consulting firm for property management. One of ...
  A: however, it would be better if you had a license if for no other reason than for "show & tell." It ...
Insuring rental properties held in an LLC7/28/2009
  Q: After transferring my investment home into an LLC, who should be listed as Insured on the home ...
  A: We have most of our properties insuranced in the name of the llc they are owed by. Your operating ...
renting an apartment7/14/2009
  Q: How are you? I would first like to thank you for taking the time out to answer my question. Okay. I ...
  A: I would say three weeks is adequate time for someone to run your application and get you a firm ...
My tenant is not paying the rent!!6/16/2009
  Q: My tenant has not paid the rent for the last two months. I have a house rented in Miami, but i live ...
  A: Find a property manager in the area of the property and begin eviction proceedings. if the tenants ...
Property management fees6/13/2009
  Q: What percentage of rental income should I use to estimate property management fees for a high end ...
  A: I would say you should allow 10% of the monthly income for fees, plus you will have a leasing fee to ...
PM responsibilities6/10/2009
  Q: I used a property manager for one year (I had signed a 12 month agreement) that did not provide ...
  A: It's jerks like that that make my job harder. Personally, for 300, it's not worth your time or your ...
Duties of a Property Manager6/8/2009
  Q: What routine duties should an owner be able to expect of a Property Manager for the payment of the ...
  A: we show the property, take apps, sign leases, check credit, coordinate with the renter on repairs ...
forcible entry and detainer-Ohio6/3/2009
  Q: Can a property Manager evict a tenant if the property is ownwd by someone else?
  A: of course I'm not a lawyer so this is not legal advice. My answer is yes. That's why one would ...
buying a rental property5/18/2009
  Q: im wanting to buy maybe a 4 family apartment complex to rent out as a long term investment. do i ...
  A: The buildings would vary in price by the location and condition and size of a property. You can ...
Apartment Complex - Site Manager5/16/2009
  Q: First I would like to say that I've been reading your Q&A's and have learned so much! "Thank You" ...
  A: So I wouldn't expect that the 1099 would be for employment income, only the apartment. In that ...
forecloser5/15/2009
  Q: Hello what happens when a condo complex 4 buildings 16 unit each with only half of them completed ...
  A: but usually, the bank is not in the business of completing a project of that nature. They would ...
rental5/13/2009
  Q: I owe a home in Alabama, I moved to Georgia for work. I had the house on the market to sell after a ...
  A: If they are late and the rent, you can terminate with an eviction and a 5/10 day notice. You will ...
Lease Renewal Agreement4/20/2009
  Q: I just wanted to clarify I few things from my previousI am an out of State (NY) landlord who owns a ...
  A: so I've been weighing the question carefully. I would not wait. I think you need to get the lease ...
Lease Agreement Renewal4/18/2009
  Q: My current tenant's lease expires in a little over 30 days. The original realtor who found the ...
  A: Is this a residential property? As a property manager, I lease the property and maintain contact ...
Licensing requirement for Property managers4/16/2009
  Q: I had read the previous answer to a question posted regarding Property Managers needing to be a ...
  A: so I really cannot answer that question directly. My guess is it has something to do with the ...
Bad Management3/31/2009
  Q: One of the units in our small 8-unit building has been delinquent on their maintenance fees for ...
  A: I'm no attorney so not sure I can be much help here. As for the tenant protected --I think you ...
Property tax3/19/2009
  Q: I was actually browsing when I happened upon a response of yours to someone else's question, so ...
  A: I certainly can feel your pain. We have similar problems year after year. Here in Oklahoma they ...
Rental Properties3/16/2009
  Q: My husband and I are interested in renting out our house. We don't really want to pay a management ...
  A: In fact, it's what I recommend, even though we are paid property managers! You can find a lease ...
interested in becoming a property manager soon3/13/2009
  Q: I've recently past the real estate exam, so therefore that makes me a provisional broker. I don't ...
  A: This can be an apartment complex or a private investor or a real estate office that manages ...
Primary home / Rental property tax3/3/2009
  Q: I own a condo. However for a temp assignment I moved out and rented it for 10 months. Now I am ...
  A: first, I'm not a cpa, so I'm not certain of the tax consequences of my answer. There is no ...
Title and Loan on Property into LLC Name2/18/2009
  Q: My husband and I purchased a tri-plex in May of 2006. In late 2006 we established our LLC and would ...
  A: you will not be able to transfer the loan. You may be able to refinance into the llc name, but you ...
Property Management Issue2/18/2009
  Q: Who is the governing board over Property Managers in Nevada? Is it the Real Estate Board or do they ...
  A: Most managers have a real estate license and work under a broker. So the broker is the first person ...
rental property while living abroad2/17/2009
  Q: Right now im in the process of owning rental property in a different state in America but im ...
  A: The key would be finding a manager you trust -- and then making sure that all your agreements are in ...
Managing and Maintaining my own rental properties2/9/2009
  Q: I own a small Property Management and Maintenance company. I now want to own rental properties. ...
  A: but I would have you put your rental properties into an llc that is separate from your property ...
Property for beginners1/31/2009
  Q: i was really amazed with you answers. I have been searching for a way to enter the property ...
  A: 1 how to get into the real estate investment business and 2 how to get into the property management ...
Corporation vs Partnership1/24/2009
  Q: My husband and I own a 4 unit complex in CO. We filed the business with the state as a Corporation, ...
  A: I'm not a cpa so I don't really know all the tax implications of the company being a corporation vs. ...
tenant deposit1/16/2009
  Q: recently our landlord phoned to say his property managers closed there doors and ran with all of ...
  A: Of course, I'm not an attorney so this is not legal advice, only my opinion from my experience. ...
1st Rental Property1/10/2009
  Q: Stefani - Hello. I recently bought a home and turned my condo residence into a rental property. I ...
  A: I'm not an attorney nor a cpa, so you might want to get a second opinion from one of those that you ...
becoming a real estate agent1/4/2009
  Q: Nachatilo, I'm a student and I'm working on a project for my Careers course. I was hoping you could ...
  A: I'm a Mrs. I'm not really a real estate agent. I'm a real estate investor, which means that I ...
Frozen Pipes12/20/2008
  Q: more frozen pipes stuff. Our pipes have been frozen for 4 days now. The landlord has written into ...
  A: you are not responsible to fix the problem. We have had some pipes that were added in the back of a ...
Frozen Pipes12/18/2008
  Q: The heat was left on colder than what it should have been left at by then tenant (50-55 degrees).  ...
  A: If you're the landlord -- If the lease states anything about repairs, then what the lease says takes ...
Rent Application Terms12/13/2008
  Q: I am an non-resident alien, having valid work permit having SSN. My wife and kid are with me as ...
  A: The new immigration laws make it a felony for a landlord to knowingly rent to an illegal alien as we ...
Starting Property Mgmt. Business12/8/2008
  Q: I have experience in the real estate market by flipping and remodeling homes. I would like to start ...
  A: but my guess is you do need a license. If you're acting as an agent and holding other's money, it ...
one year term11/18/2008
  Q: My friend and I signed an apartment lease. It says automatically renewing one year term. It didn't ...
  A: I'm not sure where you live and am not familiar with the landlord tenant laws in your state, but I ...
management11/11/2008
  Q: I own an apartment in Alhambra,Ca and will need someone to manage the apartment....What percent ...
  A: In our area, the management fee is bases on a percentage of the income collected. These are the ...
house10/27/2008
  Q: Can I create a LLC and move a second home into that LLC? do I need to re-mortgage? Will I be ...
  A: Normally, there is a clause in your mortgage agreement that you will notify the bank if you are ...
pet deposit10/25/2008
  Q: I need to seek your advice on an on going dispute with my apartment rental complex. I signed a lease ...
  A: I'm not an attorney so I can't say for certanity what the laws are. I would ask, did you and your ...
on site manager10/25/2008
  Q: In California is it required to have an on site property manager?
  A: I am not familiar with the management laws in california. You can check with your local real estate ...
Eviction due to foreclosure in CA10/11/2008
  Q: I'll keep this as brief as I can and get to the point. A Notice For Possession appeared on my door ...
  A: I can certainly understand your pain and frustration. I too have been in your position, newly ...
Lease up10/9/2008
  Q: I have a lease up coming up for income restricted housing. studios 1,2,3, bedroom brand new ...
  A: If you're saying that you are already living in the unit, and your lease expires on Dec 31, 2008? ...
assessment fees state of texas10/8/2008
  Q: all subdivisions in houston texas pay a assessment fee every year to maintain the subdivision, my ...
  A: I'm not sure what you question to me is. There certainly is no harm in asking for a reduction in the ...
Firing the property management company9/25/2008
  Q: I have been dealing with a property management company for a year and after getting a tenant after 9 ...
  A: Start wtih a letter to the management company stating that you are terminating your agreement and to ...
starting a property management company9/22/2008
  Q: I am interested in starting a property management company that deals mostly with vacant or ...
  A: so I cannot specifically answer your question. Most generally, though, it's not the fact that there ...
MN Rental Licensing Question9/19/2008
  Q: I administer/sign leases, show homes, collect rent for the management company I work for etc. I was ...
  A: so I cannot really answer your question. If you have questions like that, I'm sure your real estate ...
frustrated condo owner9/15/2008
  Q: I own a condominium in Queens, NY and I need some advice about what to do if my basement apartment ...
  A: Most condo have a Board of Directors and/or an association where one pays condo dues either mothnly ...
living next to rental property9/2/2008
  Q: Are there any rules regulating how many people and/or the number of automobiles that can reside in a ...
  A: The city code enforcement or neighborhood services in your area would be the ones to call. Check ...
RE: Do I need a license to be a Property Management?8/30/2008
  Q: I am planing in opening a property management company, but I am not sure if i need a license. I have ...
  A: you might start with becoming a leasing agent for an apartment or retirement home. A realtor course ...
Property Manager Misuse of Funds8/29/2008
  Q: I have a duplex in Oakland, CA. I have become suspicious of my property manager's accounting ...
  A: It sort of depends on what you wish to accomplish. If you're just wanting to terminate the ...
FORECLOSURE EVICTION8/29/2008
  Q: I have been living in an upper flat above my friends for approx 6 months now . we have had a ...
  A: but I do follow the landlord/tenant laws of my state so I have some idea of what they are. Your ...
tenant privacy rights8/27/2008
  Q: My husband and I took our 2 week vacation from the army so we could go see our families before he ...
  A: My first instinct is to tell you, to let the landlord know that you know "someone" went through your ...
Broker's Take8/13/2008
  Q: I know that the commission for a broker in relation to when an agent sells property is fixed, but I ...
  A: With a good team and a system, I do not see why there would be a limit. We have three people in the ...
rental house questions8/12/2008
  Q: Four of my friends and I are planning to move to New York City in the near future. Two weeks ago, ...
  A: it's not possible unless you get an entirely new loan. Sometimes there are provisions from the ...
finders fees8/5/2008
  Q: I manage a small complex (10 units) of townhouses in Northern California. We have a couple units ...
  A: You can call the board of realtors in your area and probably ask that question. You could also ...
payment to manager if tenant breaks lease8/1/2008
  Q: We are trying to rent out our condo for the 1st time. We signed a contract with an agent to find us ...
  A: Usually the payment is for a 12 month lease. Do you have a written contract with the agent? If so, ...
Rental home7/31/2008
  Q: My sister and I just acquired my mothers home from her trust and we have decided to rent it out. The ...
  A: creonline and do some looking for documents or links to purchase documents. We also started out ...
property management7/30/2008
  Q: im hoping you may give me some advice on setting up a property management business in grimsby.i need ...
  A: I'm wondering if you have no knowledge of the business aspect of setting up a business or you have ...
occupancy laws in Springfield, MO7/27/2008
  Q: Im looking for an apartment for myself, my 14 yr old daughter and 15 yr old son in Springfield, MO. ...
  A: I would say that unless you are under court supervision or getting government assistance with your ...
Breaking a lease before it even starts7/23/2008
  Q: I'm a landlord who has had people who are subletting my unit at the moment sign a lease for August ...
  A: I"ve had a big project going and have not been into my office. A short answer, yes, you can. ...
Advance rent and notice period7/21/2008
  Q: I have been renting a place for the las six months, i have not signed a legal document or lease it ...
  A: it will be difficult to establish wether the money you gave was the last month's rent or a deposit. ...
land trust7/19/2008
  Q: Do you know any attorney who handles does land trusts? Thank you, Dee Smith
  A: but I have an attorney in Oklahoma who can do them. Contact me by email if you are interested in ...
Residental Property Management Insuance rates7/13/2008
  Q: Stefani, I am considering opening a small Property Management company in a small southern Illinois ...
  A: I think what you would need is some sort of umbrella coverage for yourself that would cover you as ...
lease7/12/2008
  Q: me and my roommate filled out an application to an apartment, however, she did not sign the lease ...
  A: I am not an attorney and this is not legal advice. I would say the roommate is not legally bound to ...
Insurance Liability on the Guarantor of loan for LLC property7/2/2008
  Q: I am the guarantor of the loan for a rental property that we quit claimed the deed to our family LLC ...
  A: so this isn't legal advice, but based on what we do in our property business. The whole purpose of ...
Tenant has installed a large pool without consent6/26/2008
  Q: My father owns and rents a single family home in Chicago. The tenants have erected a massive pool ...
  A: Can't you work something out with them to put up the proper fencing and keep them and the pool? I am ...
Starting a property management business6/24/2008
  Q: How do I start a property management business. Mainly managing homes while residents are out for ...
  A: in terms of getting an llc going, having a telephone number, etc. The hardest part is getting ...
Property Management Field6/19/2008
  Q: I am 26 yrs old and live in NY. I am looking to go about finding job opportunities in property ...
  A: Are you looking to change areas? Check out www.craigslist.org. They have listings for all over the ...
NEED TO EVICT RENTERS...6/14/2008
  Q: We have renters in our home, they're now late for almost 3months. The renter told me that she's ...
  A: Legally, it will not get the tenants evicted. You must serve them proper notice, which is in ...
Starting my own PM consulting company6/13/2008
  Q: My name is Deidra I am would like to start my own property management consulting firm. I have ten ...
  A: You do sound like you're qualified. In most states, you do need a real estate license. Other than ...
30 Day Notice6/11/2008
  Q: My lease for an apartment ends July 31, 2008 and the contract says we need to give 30 days notice. ...
  A: the agent can sign up someone to move once you are out. You can always ask if you give your 30 day ...
Business License6/11/2008
  Q: Good day, Do I need a business license to own multi family properties via LLC? If yes do you know ...
  A: Here in Oklahoma if one owns a multi-family property and has it titled in an llc, there are no ...
Purchase Rental Property6/9/2008
  Q: Stefani, I purchased my first rental property in CT about 3 years ago for 189k. Since I saw that ...
  A: I think you will be immensely glad you did. As for the 30K. I don't know your other financial ...
Lawn Problem6/8/2008
  Q: Stefani, When we moved in to our apartment, the landlord verbally agreed that she would take care of ...
  A: as a landlord, I can tell you, getting the grass mowed is not always an easy job and it's usually ...
House Fire6/7/2008
  Q: I rented a property and there was a grease fire. It was our fault. The house I was renting was ...
  A: I'm not an attorney, but I believe the insurance company would have to prove that you were somehow ...
Becoming a Real Estate Manager6/4/2008
  Q: Can you please tell me what is required to become a Real Estate Property Manager.
  A: it takes a real estate license. Some experience in management or dealing with properties would be ...
verbal agreement - rent in exchange for work6/1/2008
  Q: I offered the carpenter who remodeled my kitchen the opportunity to move into an extra bedroom in my ...
  A: so he doesn't owe you any money for the rent, i.e., he's not late (which I would suggest a 5/10 ...
Realtor/manager repairs without ok from owner5/30/2008
  Q: Hey I know that you can probably answer this for me. situation with one of three OK houses that is ...
  A: The property manager has NO BUSINESS making a decision of that expense without your consent. It ...
Negligence repairs/carpet cleaning charges5/27/2008
  Q: Skyview was shattered by storm rental network,did not fix it for over 8 months plus,isn't it true ...
  A: but I'm imaging it's what we call a sky light. If it was broken and needed repair, you should ...
Starting my own Property Managemnt Company5/23/2008
  Q: I have been in the Property Management Industry in the Central Florida area for over 8 years for ...
  A: I'm not sure of the laws in Florida, but my guess would be that, yes, you do need a license. If for ...
compensation5/3/2008
  Q: Is there a "standard" rate of compensation for an on site residential apartment property manager ...
  A: but I am not familiar with on-site management. I would say it depends on the size of the complex. ...
complaint against my property manager4/25/2008
  Q: I own 2 condos in Las Vegas since 2003.I live in Massachusetts.I have had the same property manager ...
  A: I am not a big fan of going to court for anything except evictions. When was the last time you ...
landlord/rental laws4/24/2008
  Q: Do you need a license in Indiana to be a property manager for multiple properties?
  A: Most states require some sort of realtor license when dealing with other people's money and creating ...
Property Management4/17/2008
  Q: You stated that a person does not need a license to rent and manage their own property. What are ...
  A: although I am not an attorney, the same goes. If you own a portion of the property and the other ...
Billboard Ground Rent4/12/2008
  Q: I own a house that has 45 acres of ground behind it that is currently being built into a Towne ...
  A: that's a tough question for me. I have no knowledge of property leasing for signage. I would ...
Kid going to College. What is the best way to buy a renal property for him to live-in and rent out?4/8/2008
  Q: I live in Oregon and my son will go to college in Arizona. I am considering buying a house so that ...
  A: My personal answer is if you wish to put the house in the name of the llc, you should create the llc ...
holding condo fees4/7/2008
  Q: Is it legal in ohio for me to put my condo fees into an escrow or holding account until negligent ...
  A: Sorry I cannot be more help to you. Do you have your association contract? Perhaps the contract ...
Figuring basis for properties moved to an LLC4/6/2008
  Q: My husband and I have owned and managed rental property for many years, and elected in June of this ...
  A: this is the way we do ours when converting from a personal rental and using the schedule e to ...
Rent to Own without being scammed4/2/2008
  Q: I would like to know the best way for me to get in a rent to own property without being scammed. ...
  A: that certainly is a problem. We have had renters come in with similar stories. My suggestion would ...
Condo pool question4/2/2008
  Q: I live in Arizona and I recently rented a condo in a complex that has a locked pool and exercise ...
  A: and you want to use the pool and exercise room, you should pay the deposit. If it's a fee, my guess ...
Land Trusts, refinancing4/1/2008
  Q: Stefani, My wife and I are primary Beneficiaries of a Home and property that are in a Land Trust. ...
  A: I am not an attorney but I did look up the texas laws. Who knew? This is the first time I ever ...
Behind on Mortgages3/25/2008
  Q: My wife and I have 8 rental units, plus our home. Over the past 6 months we've had one issue after ...
  A: I can completely understand your situation. I'm not sure if you're telling me that you're behind on ...
1st rental property - how to structure mgmt3/20/2008
  Q: Stefani, My wife and I bought 4 lots in TX and built a house on lot #1 and we want to rent it out ...
  A: Although I'm not an attorney, I have been to many and have faced the same struggle in our business. ...
California state law3/14/2008
  Q: Hi, In the past, the law in California required an on-site manager for 16 + units. Is that still ...
  A: as I know nothing about ca state law. I would tell you to contact the ca real estate board and ask ...
Should I do it3/13/2008
  Q: IF you saw this on a website, what questions would you ask and does anything sound strange? Hi, ...
  A: I would say, yes, this does sound plausible. We see situations like this all the time. Someone or ...
Personal Income3/12/2008
  Q: Another question here: Where is a good resource to start learning how to syndicate a residential ...
  A: but my belief is that unless you have a securities license, you cannot syndicate money for real ...
Personal Income3/12/2008
  Q: My goal is to own a fourplex within the next 6 months. I am 23 years old. My question is actually ...
  A: I cannot answer your question about which job to keep. I will tell you that when we first started, ...
Property taxes3/12/2008
  Q: I am currently planning to build a duplex as my first attempt at being a landlord. I have set up a ...
  A: your assessed value will not decrease by the amount of depreciation. That's a totally separate ...
rental properties3/10/2008
  Q: I was curious, how did you buy your first investment properties with very little down payment? Did ...
  A: we looked for a seller who was flexible and willing to carry part of the note. We bought 2 duplexes ...
Property management company3/10/2008
  Q: My wife and I reside in NY. We purchased in investment home in Tampa, FL and another with her ...
  A: but I'm certain that you do not need to be a real estate agent to manage your own property or ...
thinking about renting out home3/1/2008
  Q: I've got a lakefront house in the mountains of TN. I'm from NJ and having made the full-time ...
  A: Is there some reason you really want to keep the property? If the rental value is so much higher ...
rent besides downpayment2/29/2008
  Q: I found an amortization schedule online. I play with it just to see how it works. Here is the ...
  A: The rental phase, where all payments are ONLY rent and then some condition is met (usually a down ...
rent to own2/28/2008
  Q: How does a rent to own property work exactly? Let's say that I would like to either sell my house ...
  A: but we offer a rental price per month and a three year option. So for your example we would rent ...
pet agreement2/24/2008
  Q: I would like to know how much landlords charge for pet fee each month usually, and how much is the ...
  A: So, it is a negotiable item. We charge 100 - 200 per pet for a move in fee and it is ...
Rental property2/20/2008
  Q: I have a house in Florida that is being rented and I have a Rental Property Management Company ...
  A: I'm not an attorney and not familiar with FL law, so really can't answer that for certain. My guess ...
difficulty find a tenant2/12/2008
  Q: I live in Georgia (I understand you have the experiences in MO and KS, but I just would like your ...
  A: At one time my husband and I bought a very cute little house in a neighborhood we knew nothing ...
Do I have a good case against my property management company2/11/2008
  Q: I entered into a property management agreement approximately 6 years ago. The first tenant occupied ...
  A: being a landlord and a property management company, this is a slippery slope for me to answer. Yes, ...
wear and tear or negligence?2/9/2008
  Q: I own a duplex. My husband and I live downstairs and rent the upstairs. We refinished the bathroom ...
  A: it's just normal wear and tear. Most tenants who have never owned a house just don't know or care ...
Investment home insurance when in land trust2/8/2008
  Q: How do I teach my insurance agent that they can insure my home now that I have placed it into a Land ...
  A: you cannot always turn a deaf ear -- you may have to get a different agent and/or different ...
New lease2/8/2008
  Q: We finalized an apartment and paid the initial non refundable deposit of $ 400 and also faxed our ...
  A: Once a deposit is paid and application accepted (if they called you back to say you were approved) ...
Purchasing a new house and then renting it2/7/2008
  Q: I have been looking at mortgage companies website and noted that they provide different interest ...
  A: I really don't understand all the nuiances of that. I do think it matters how you fill out your tax ...
revocable land trusts2/6/2008
  Q: Stefani, We are looking to place a piece of land into a land trust. The mortgage is in our personal ...
  A: yes! I'm not an attorney, but here is my best advise based on what we do. The mortgage co or bank ...
Question about deposit1/31/2008
  Q: I have just recently seen an apartment that I filled out an application for. I was approved. They ...
  A: I would say, yes, that's legal. And in our business, I would also say it's quite common. The apts ...
If I move my house into an LLC and charge rent, how does that effect my credit rating?1/28/2008
  Q: I own a house that my parents live in. I dont live with them, I live about 2 hours away. They have ...
  A: If you were to charge your parents rent you could show that on your taxes without or without putting ...
Actual First Step - Commercial Property1/24/2008
  Q: I have found a few CRE listings and have been reading up on the subject for the past few months. ...
  A: That's great. Once you find a property that you think fits your criteria for purchase (whatever ...
trying to buy parents house while renters are present1/16/2008
  Q: i am trying to buy my parents second home that they currently rent out a family in Maryland. they ...
  A: You want to make sure your loan is going to go through and you're able to purchase the house, before ...
Can I sue my property management company because I slipped on snow and ice covered sidwalks / drives1/10/2008
  Q: I am asking this question, because I pay a lot to live at my property and I firmly beleive that snow ...
  A: The question being, who had the responsibility to clear the walkways? On most single or two family ...
Suggestion1/6/2008
  Q: Before I ask my question, allow me to give detail to my aspirations. I am assuming that the housing ...
  A: My husband and I started similarly with the 2 family unit. After we had purchased 3 or 4 rent ...
Property Management12/29/2007
  Q: How do I become a licensed property manager?
  A: So start there. Also, you need to check with your state to see if there is a property manager ...
Renting a house12/20/2007
  Q: I just gave a deposit for a house that I will be renting in Feb. when I met with the property ...
  A: I have been in that position many years ago. Just moved in and 2 months later find out the house is ...
Gain/loss on rental property12/19/2007
  Q: This might be a more complex question but I need to find a right answer. If a rental property has ...
  A: but I can tell you what I believe. Yes, they can. The ownership is intent not necessarily ...
Tenant Foreclosure12/19/2007
  Q: I am living in SW Florida and have currently received a foreclosure notice on the house I am ...
  A: Now there is a possibility that there is some sort of mistake. You don't say if your landlord is ...
Using LLC to own RealEstate12/17/2007
  Q: I have 2 rental properties, a single and a duplex. There both rental and occupied right now. The ...
  A: I've heard many cases for it, but it's mostly for asset protection and there are ways to do that by ...
Lenders for buying property thro' an LLC12/12/2007
  Q: Who are the lenders who will provide loans to LLCs to purchase investment properties - single ...
  A: although generally speaking all members of the llc have to sign as personal guarantors for the loans ...
vacancy12/10/2007
  Q: I have a questione, and really appreciate your time and answere what does it mean when you ...
  A: one looks at the income potential and the amount of cash you would have to have out of your own ...
Property management issue12/5/2007
  Q: I currently have a property manager that has been collecting rent and sending me some, but not all. ...
  A: I would send him the 45 day notice to terminate. If you can find something in the contract with him ...
LLC on title12/3/2007
  Q: I am investing in a property with another person and wanted to do so through an llc. Can I do the ...
  A: but different banks have different rules so you may want to visit with the banker. At closing, the ...
LLC and SSDI11/30/2007
  Q: My wife and I own rental property in our own names. We are looking at purchasing more but with an ...
  A: this is a tough question for me, as I am not a CPA nor an attorney. But here's my 2 cents -- and ...
First LLC investment purchase11/30/2007
  Q: My wife and I formed a home-based California LLC and recently attended an auction and purchased ...
  A: the llc is the way to go for personal asset protection. And yes, I think you're on the right track. ...
Credit Application Process for new Tenants11/19/2007
  Q: I belive that some of my potential new tenants are using false SS#'s on my application. So I'd like ...
  A: I also make sure I've got a middle name or initial. I always check for criminal records and ...
tenat suing for security11/8/2007
  Q: I am holding 2nd Fl tenant security because they left behind abused, discolored & filthy carpet. ...
  A: I would say you did nothing wrong in keeping the deposit. I don't understand from your note how ...
APARTMENT LEASE AGREEMENT11/8/2007
  Q: MY GIRLFRIEND HAS A ROOMMATE THAT BRING STRANGE GUYS TO THE APARTMENT AND MULTIPLE GUYS AT THAT AND ...
  A: the apartments can evict just the one roomate if they want to. It would be best for your girlfriend ...
Exploring Idea of Renting out my Condo11/7/2007
  Q: I currently own a 2-BR 2-BA condo, but I am considering renting it out to help cover the mortgage ...
  A: Doing a little bit of research will help you get a feel for what rents are in your area adn how ...
15 and wants to invest in first rental property11/7/2007
  Q: I live in Homestead florida and there are a lot of new buildings and homes being added to our small ...
  A: In most states, that is too young to contract for purchase of property. Do you have parental ...
Deposits11/4/2007
  Q: After a recent purchase I recieved deposit payments from the previous owner with one exception, ...
  A: Of course you have a right to receive a deposit from him. You also have a right to have the old ...
borrowing against a single family rental property10/15/2007
  Q: I have good credit and own 4 properties with very little debt ($350K total on $1MM in property - in ...
  A: I can tell you I understand your frustration. We've run into some sluggishness on the part of the ...
cancellation contract from landlord to property manager10/13/2007
  Q: i have a contract agreement with property manager 1 year,but when the tenant sign a lease to move ...
  A: that's frustrating. I would write to your manager and demand a copy of the lease and the invoices. ...
my tenant is not paying rent10/9/2007
  Q: I hired a property manager for renting out my condo. He rented to the owner of his agencies ...
  A: the manager should be filing for eviction. In our state it takes about 20 days after filing to get ...
owning or managing an apartment complex10/5/2007
  Q: I have no experience on managing or owning a complex of any type, but it sounds interesting and ...
  A: This way you have the "try before you buy" experience and if you end up not liking it, you have ZERO ...
Maintenance Upcharge9/27/2007
  Q: I have owned an apartment for 6 months and just discovered my property manager is charging me 17% ...
  A: sometimes management companies do charge an upcharge for maintenance. We do not, but it is not ...
additional uear-long lease after completion of the first9/25/2007
  Q: We are about to complete our one-year lease on an apartment, and our landlord has asked us if we ...
  A: See if you can find a copy on the web -- do a google search. Do you have a copy of your lease? ...
management responsibility9/18/2007
  Q: Two years ago we hired a local company to manage our rental property. The tenant was permitted to ...
  A: Being both a property manager and an investor, it's always frustrating when crummy tenants ruin new ...
Brokering Property Management9/16/2007
  Q: Being a California Lic. Realtor, can I be sponsored by 2 brokers, one for Sales, and one for ...
  A: Is it not possible to have one broker sponsor you for both types? I would think you might end up ...
"Rent Loss Insurance"????9/12/2007
  Q: I am just about to close on a refinance to my condo that I rent out (Not primary residence). The ...
  A: They should be able to offer you a "loss of rents" rider so that if the property is damaged by fire ...
Verbal agreement on leasing of a property.9/10/2007
  Q: Recently my girlfriend and I found a property in Ocean Beach CA. We went to view the house and ...
  A: I'm not an attorney, so this is not legal advice and I also don't know the landlord tenant laws in ...
Purchasing home8/31/2007
  Q: I am purchasing a home that is subject to existing financing. The owner wants to sign the deed over ...
  A: we will see more and more of this type of financing. Normally title companies and attorneys are ...
Land Trusts8/30/2007
  Q: We wanted to sell our property in SD in the traditional manner and we were approached by an ...
  A: it makes sense and we do this on a regular basis. The purpose of moving the property to the Land ...
Question on Lease8/23/2007
  Q: My landlord just told me that my contract for renting a flat has expired on 1 July 2007 and that ...
  A: It is not here. However, if you are renting through a management company, they may expect a fee for ...
When to sell- if ever?8/22/2007
  Q: Stefani, I bought my rental property, a duplex in August of 2005. The housing market in the area is ...
  A: Is it for monthly cash flow, is it to offset non-passive activity gains, like your income, or is it ...
LLC Question?8/22/2007
  Q: Stefani, Read your background and figured I am at the beginning steps like you were several years ...
  A: this is my opinion -- and I only buy in my state, so it's based on my experience with that in mind. ...
Oklahoma Management Company8/21/2007
  Q: I am looking into starting a small property management company in Oklahoma after I inherited some ...
  A: You do not need a license to manage your own properties. If you want to manage others' properties, ...
problem tenant8/15/2007
  Q: In mid-April we had a new tenant move in with her daughter (age 28). The daughter was quick to ...
  A: I guess you have a choice to make. When a tenant breaks the lease (in this case by having persons ...
Negotiating a Rental Lease8/14/2007
  Q: I recently began talking with a landlord through email about a room he had available in his house in ...
  A: I'm not an attorney so this isn't legal advice, but I would say, you are not under a contract with ...
Apartment purchase8/10/2007
  Q: I would like to buy a 8-family apartment bldg; what is the best way to determine the purchase price, ...
  A: Did you ask the lender if you needed seasoned funds? If not, you can borrow the 20% down in the ...
repair work8/8/2007
  Q: I HAVE A HOME REPAIR COMPANY AND HOPE TO BREAK IN TO THE REAL ESTATE REPAIR/REBUILD MARKET. MY ...
  A: hire most from outside sources. Everyone I know is always looking for a reputable source of repair ...
n/a8/4/2007
  Q: Can a tenant sue the hoa - a tenant attempted to sue by issuing a "cease and desist" order.
  A: and you're asking about a tenant, I'm going to assume a home owner within the subdivision (for lack ...
Vacation Rental7/23/2007
  Q: We live in San Francisco and the 3rd floor in our home has its own kitchen, living room, bedroom and ...
  A: you do not need a license (such as a realtor license) to rent out your own property. However, you ...
sales tax on work, not just on materials7/19/2007
  Q: Stefani! I just requested an estimate from the same guy who last time prepared the unit for a new ...
  A: again, I'm no cpa but it seems to me that you normally do not charge sales tax on labor and you ...
First rental property7/15/2007
  Q: We'll be purchasing our first rental property within the month. Where can I obtain effective ...
  A: creonline.com (creative real estate online) or if you can get it in time, carlton sheets has great ...
Renting for a neighbor7/15/2007
  Q: Is it illegal for an individual to rent property for a neighbor?
  A: I"m not sure if you're asking if it's okay for you to be the "manager" type person and rent out the ...
beginner7/13/2007
  Q: I read your profile and my situation simple. I just recently purchased an investment property, my ...
  A: but here are some suggestions. You can gather a ton of information by looking at other properties in ...
cost for property management7/13/2007
  Q: how much can I expect to pay a property manager to manager one residential unit? I am told the ...
  A: I think you are close. I'm sure if varies from place to place, but here, I normally collect 100% of ...
Leasing signing7/4/2007
  Q: Please advise the steps required for a leasing signing/closing. What's the preferred lease start ...
  A: Are you a renter signing a lease or an owner signing with a tenant? Either way, the 1st is the best ...
question7/3/2007
  Q: .. quick question... Is it possible to buy or lease apartment building in San Francisco,ca and ...
  A: it's possible. You would need to check with the zoning for the property to see if you can have a ...
verbal agreement6/28/2007
  Q: are verbal agreements a binding contract between landlord and tennant?
  A: Melinda -- I'm not an attorney so this is not legal advice, just my opinion. It sort of depends on ...
credit reports6/6/2007
  Q: I'm a landlord, and I would like to find out how to order credit reports on applicants, directly ...
  A: You can join a credit bureau agency in your local area. There is usually a per year fee and then a ...
summer lease6/6/2007
  Q: I rented my cottage last summer through a local real estate broker for the months of June and July. ...
  A: I'm not a real estate broker, so I don't really know the laws regarding that. I would think there ...
Revocable Land Trust6/1/2007
  Q: I read your answer to Jae with regard to transfering investment property into a land trust. Is ...
  A: I cannot give you legal advice. Here's what we do -- We have a copy of a land trust document -- ...
condo rental agreement5/31/2007
  Q: Condo is in Florida. One of the provisions in the property management agreement given to us for ...
  A: For some reason the question ended up in my junk email. Any way -- In the past when I've managed ...
Title transfer5/10/2007
  Q: Recently, I bought an out of state rental property in TX . And I just formed a single member LLC to ...
  A: Just experience and what we've done in the past. As far as the land trust goes, normally that will ...
Starting a Property Management Business5/8/2007
  Q: What are some things to do when starting a property management business like a checklist?
  A: but generally have a plan for getting the properties in rent ready condtiion, which means having the ...
assignment of lease5/4/2007
  Q: I read this on eHow.com: Depending on the laws of your state, you may have the right to cancel the ...
  A: Do you have a copy of your lease? The right to transfer or assign the lease might be written into ...
Personal to LLC5/2/2007
  Q: My wife and I are about to purchase our first home (we are in ours 30's). We do not have the ...
  A: :) My husband and I actually did the same thing. Our duplex is two story with one family up and ...
Starting a Property Management Company5/1/2007
  Q: I am a Realtor and am looking at starting a property management company in Orlando, Florida and I'm ...
  A: Here in Oklahoma, to create the agency relationship between you and your property owners, being a ...
LLC Transfer4/23/2007
  Q: I was reading your answers about transferring real estate from yourself to a LLC. I get all of that, ...
  A: if you originated the note in your personal name and the lender you are using reports to the credit ...
HELP4/22/2007
  Q: I am looking to start my own property management company. I am a stay at home mom and have very ...
  A: You can pay pal me $16.00 and I'll send out an autographed copy!:) Snacho@swbell.net is my paypal ...
Land Trust/Quitclaim Deed4/16/2007
  Q: I have a problem. My properties are about to go into foreclosure and I am trying everything I can ...
  A: I would say this: First, I don't know the time line when you say they are about to be foreclosed on. ...
Parents won't move out of home4/16/2007
  Q: I rent my home in California to my parents and our agreement was that they would live there for one ...
  A: can't answer the legal part about what the California laws are for verbal agreements, but my guess ...
steps to getting started4/8/2007
  Q: I want to potential own a property that already has tenants in it and start out very small. My ...
  A: It is such a great way to grow wealth, that when you start young and can invest for 20 years, you ...
property insurance for an LLC4/2/2007
  Q: We have a rental property that we are thinking of converting into an LLC but our insurance ...
  A: Does your occurrence of problems double just because you're a company? That makes no sense. I have ...
Finding clients/owners/business4/2/2007
  Q: My first time on this site. Very impressive! I have been investing is real estate for a short time. ...
  A: I always got my clients through referrals. So of course telling everyone you know is a good start. ...
Duplex4/1/2007
  Q: I'd like to purchase or invest in a Duplex that is a fixer-upper. The duplex has been in foreclosure ...
  A: I'd love to be able to tell you how to get good tenants and keep them forever, but even I don't have ...
Rental property insurance3/22/2007
  Q: I made a few contacts already that I think may help us to find out a good CPA with rental property ...
  A: Ours would probably not cover something like that. Plus the deductible is high (some policies 2,500 ...
Benefits of creating an LLC3/19/2007
  Q: My ex and I recently did the 2006 taxes as a married couple since we were married for the whole ...
  A: I'm sorry, but this question is over my head. I depend on my CPA to help me with those rules and I ...
Rental Income - Do I have to claim it on taxes?2/7/2007
  Q: I bought a house in March of 2006 and lived there until July 30th. The house sat vacant for 3 ...
  A: I'm not a tax person and this is not legal advice. Technically, are you supposed to report ALL ...
gov. realestate info.1/30/2007
  Q: there is a property for sale and it is at another state from were i live an it is a tax lien ...
  A: If not the country treasurer, find out who one would pay the tax payment to, and contact that ...
license1/26/2007
  Q: Stefani, I want to manage my own townhouses, but I would like to know do you need a license to do ...
  A: you do not need a license to rent out and manage your own property. Having a license is to protect ...
How to notify bank about LLC formation1/20/2007
  Q: I have a couple of rental properties in Arizona that have mortgages associated with them, and I want ...
  A: The note is simply stating that you are borrowing money, from who you're borrowing and the terms of ...
getting started1/16/2007
  Q: I'm tired of being "house poor". I want to get into real estate as a land lord because I'm quite ...
  A: I don't have much experience in the markets that are appreciating quickly but I know there are boot ...
Renters Credit1/6/2007
  Q: I am getting ready to rent my first rental and I have a question about checking the prospective ...
  A: maybe $25 or so. I never do that. We also have internet access to our local court files, (call ...
What insurance to get?1/5/2007
  Q: What insurance coverage do you recommend for single family rental houses, and what premiums and ...
  A: Lior -- First and foremost, you must have liability insurance. Some companies have that as a ...
Creating a Property Management company1/5/2007
  Q: I am getting divorced and my husband and I decided to keep/manage our four rental properties ...
  A: it seems I start all my answers with this -- I am not an attorney nor a CPA, but here's my opinion. ...
Dissatisfied With Property Management Company1/3/2007
  Q: The people I hired to manage my property located in another state are not satisfactory and I would ...
  A: Do you have a copy of the lease with the current tenant? I would contact the property manager with ...
Utilities overpassing rent12/22/2006
  Q: I would like to know how to better approach my tenants in the situation that way their utilities ...
  A: that's a tough situation. You don't say where you are located and which utilities you are paying, ...
Manage my own property12/18/2006
  Q: We had to dismiss our property manager. Now, we are transferring our property management to us. We ...
  A: L. -- I'm not sure what the laws are where you are and I'm not an attorney, yada yada yada -- ...
Starting My Own Managment Co12/14/2006
  Q: I work with a property management company now as an onsite supervisor of a high end condo that i ...
  A: I'm not an attorney and this is not legal advise. Is it my best opinion. Are you going to be an ...
rental property management company12/9/2006
  Q: I'm thinking about starting a rental property management company. Can a rental management company ...
  A: a rental management company can purchase rental properties. I am not a cpa so you might want to ...
Property Management- Beginner in Rental Real Estate11/25/2006
  Q: I am a single woman who is on my way to buying my first multi-family (2-4units) property. I would ...
  A: that goes for laundry, shopping, house cleaning, etc. too. Cost wise, can you hire someone to do ...
Taking loan on Rental property11/14/2006
  Q: Recently we moved from our town home to a new place.I have taken a mortgage to buy the new place. We ...
  A: but here's mho --I think it's going to be a tax wash either way you go. If the rental property pays ...
Renter's Rights11/3/2006
  Q: I have been living in an upper flat in St Clair Shores, Michigan for 3 years. It is 100 years old. I ...
  A: well, I can tell how frustrated you are. Although you're in another state and your laws will be ...
balancing rentals and being employed FT10/26/2006
  Q: My wife and I both work-I'm F/T, she's 30hrs/wk. We've owned two single family rentals for several ...
  A: When my husband and I started our business, we both worked full-time jobs and did the rental at ...
LLC for current properties9/22/2006
  Q: I own 1 townhouse that I live in and another single family in another state that I rent out to a ...
  A: I'm not sure about which state you should create the llc in, the state where you're living, or the ...
Rental Property Management9/12/2006
  Q: I have 12 rental houses now with a total of 18 units.(some of the homes are duplexes) I have an ...
  A: For building wealth, real estate is just such a great vehicle and when you combine it with building ...
Non-renewal of lease8/3/2006
  Q: I have a tenant that, when her lease is up Aug 2007 i wish not to renew her lease. She is ...
  A: there is definitely a correct way to go about it. You should check the landlord/tennant laws in ...
Slumlord, problematic property owner;7/1/2006
  Q: Please, direct (us) tenant's of the rental building/property in question to help where change's can ...
  A: Landlords have a duty to keep a property safe, clean and sanitary and in working order. They do not ...
no $ to start6/25/2006
  Q: .in my area there is 4 older mill houses 4 for sale on 1 lot..they are currently rented for ...
  A: it sound like a reasonable deal. A finaince company will usually make you come up with 20 - 30 % ...
want to buymy 1st rental property6/9/2006
  Q: How do I get started buying my 1st rental property" "Here`s what capital I have to work with $5,000 ...
  A: 1) taking over a note "subject to" or 2) getting an owner to help in the financing. What have you ...
buying an income property5/28/2006
  Q: I have 2-3 hundred thousand to invest and want to buy an investment property (or more). How do I get ...
  A: so you're already 50% ahead of the game. Good for you! What have you done so far? Have you read a ...
Management Companies5/27/2006
  Q: I'm looking at investing in my first investment property. The property will be out of state and I ...
  A: I think it's best for you to be close enough to check on the property yourself when necessary. That ...
terminating lease before lease end5/15/2006
  Q: I have a tenant who wishes to terminate his lease on July 31st. The lease he signed is untill ...
  A: That being said, it mostly depends on how your lease is written and what a judge in your county will ...
How did you do it?5/14/2006
  Q: Stefani, your profile states the following: "Experience in the area I started purchasing rental ...
  A: we used other people's money. The year we purchased 11 properties, we had a money partner. We ...
After the LLC, then what?5/3/2006
  Q: My siblings and I jointly own property which we want to rent out. We read your advice to set up an ...
  A: WHen contacting insurance companies, it's best to use one who is familiar with you. They can ...
I PURCHASED A CONDO IN THE...4/16/2006
  Q: I PURCHASED A CONDO IN THE BEGINING OF DECEMBER OF LAST YEAR. ON THE 28TH OF DECEMBER, THERE WAS A ...
  A: but I would tell you this: Our city department is very difficult to work with. We've had a fire ...
How to take 504/12/2006
  Q: How do I take 50% depreciation in Turbo Tax? I used the percent calculation feature for expenses on ...
  A: First, turbo tax usually asks you what percentage of a property you own and then gives you an option ...
Renting agreement4/4/2006
  Q: Im considering buying a house in the furture to rent out but really have no idea on all the details ...
  A: If you are just starting to become interested in rental real estate, do some reading up. One good ...
I have the property-Now What!?2/16/2006
  Q: Less than 1 year ago I purcahsed a condo as my primary residence. In December on the morning of the ...
  A: My entire family has been down with the flu this past week. Well, first off, I would suggest you ...
opening a residential prop. management company2/10/2006
  Q: My husband and I own 4 rental properties and take care of renting them out along with the property ...
  A: That being said, here in Oklahoma you are supposed to have a real estate license to be a property ...
What Does a Property Manager Do1/22/2006
  Q: We are looking at investing in rental properties, but can't find information on how much it would ...
  A: In our area, customary is 10% of the rents collected. Generally, there is also a "leasing fee", ...
New Investment1/20/2006
  Q: My friend and I will be purchasing a home in Indiana that will be used as a rental. My question is ...
  A: It is not necessary to file for an LLC to “do” your real estate investing. You can accomplish all ...
Getting started in real estate1/19/2006
  Q: I was just browsing around and came across some comments you made on All Experts. Im a business ...
  A: First, I do not believe you need to get a credit card to establish yourself. You may have rental ...
early terminating lease and looking for new tenants12/19/2005
  Q: May be I may take advantage of your great knowledge again. My present tenant has lived in the house ...
  A: I guess you found out the hard way, the second most important aspect of a renter is stabilitiy. ...
cost disputes about telephone and gas12/16/2005
  Q: In August I purchased my first house to be rented out. The first tenant living there had to install ...
  A: I can give you what as a property manager is standard operating practice. Generally speaking, a ...
Investment property taxes12/9/2005
  Q: I just purchased a 6 unit investment property (in Florida) - the property will loss about $25,000 ...
  A: By you personally or in an LLC or company, etc. If the property is in your name personally (which ...
Apartment Buildings.11/29/2005
  Q: I am searching for an apartment complex to purchase. What should I look at in considering the ...
  A: I have been on both sides of this issue, 1) as a property owner bying an apartment complex with a ...
Advice needed on renting condo10/4/2005
  Q: I am planning to rent my condo out in about a month. I'm wondering if I can find a sample or generic ...
  A: you can find many boiler plate type leases easily on the web. Check www.creonline.com - creative ...
rental prices9/6/2005
  Q: I am a college student thinking about moving into my own apartment. I am on a very tight budget and ...
  A: sometimes you can talk down the rent. Probably not wtih a large corporate-owned apartment complex ...
late fees on rent7/19/2005
  Q: our rent is due the 3rd of each month.on the 4th there is a $25.00 late fee and each day after the ...
  A: Tina -- I don't know what state you're in and I'm not a lawyer, so I don't really know the law. ...
Purchasing residential property6/30/2005
  Q: I am looking into acquiring residental rental property in the Mississippi Gulf Coast area. I need to ...
  A: I'm goign to assume for this answer that you do not. If you have some qualified monies, i.e. a ...
property management6/24/2005
  Q: My husband and I bought our own properties and have been managing properties for a few clients ...
  A: The most common way I have gotten management jobs is through word of mouth, mostly from realtors. ...
Getting Started in Real Estate6/22/2005
  Q: My wife and I purchased our first home (we live in it) last August. We would like to purchase a ...
  A: sometimes, depending on where the property is. There are sometimes government programs for money ...
Looking at an apartment complex6/8/2005
  Q: Recently I saw an ad for an 11 bedroom apartment complex (a house converted into seperate ...
  A: First I would say, don't guess. If you're interested in the apartments, call and ask the monthly ...
max occ4/13/2005
  Q: I have a rental question. I live in Quincy California. I want to rent a two bedroom house. I have my ...
  A: I answered the question and then left out of town and put myself on vacation. Somehow, my answer ...
Residential Real Estate Investment3/29/2005
  Q: I have a bit of capital that I'd like to invest in residential real estate such as Condos, ...
  A: Given the "if everything could be ideal" I would stay local. It's much easier to manage property ...
Marketing Plan3/16/2005
  Q: I've found the property I want and I have a contract. My next step is to formulate a marketing plan ...
  A: Hugh -- Thank you for the question. Lazy? No way. Putting a sign in the yard is the ABSOLUTE best ...
Rental property - Income taxes2/7/2005
  Q: My sister and I own a rental property in Branson, MO that we purchased in mid-2004. We both live in ...
  A: I am not a cpa and I'm not giving you tax advice. That being said, here's what we do when we have ...
Finding properties1/26/2005
  Q: I have recently decided that I want to purchase one or several smaller income properties. (duplex, ...
  A: When we started in this business we did us a realtor. After talking with many, we found a realtor ...
Missouri real estate12/27/2004
  Q: We are new investors (we own a single family rental along with our own home in California) and we ...
  A: 99% are out of state owners. I see two options for you. If you are determined to purchase out of ...
Property Management10/29/2004
  Q: I am a Realtor working for a new real estate company. The owner has requested I look into starting a ...
  A: List property managment on your business card and when people as, always tell them realtor and ...
Buying my first rental property10/3/2004
  Q: Stefani, I am trying to buy my first rental property and I do not have any cash for a down payment. ...
  A: there are creative things you can do depending on the type of deal you're working. If you look for ...
Listing on the Internet9/25/2004
  Q: I was wondering what is a good website to list my property for rental? I am currently using ...
  A: I'm not familiar with many sites for listing rental property; however there are numerous ones. ...
1st Rental Property9/15/2004
  Q: I live in California. We just recently bought our 2nd house, and were intending to sell the first ...
  A: I would say sell it. You are in a negative cash flow situation. And even if you were breaking ...
General Questions9/10/2004
  Q: I am a college student in west texas that wants to get into property management. I have a few ...
  A: I would say they most costly repairs to make are roofing (when new decking is needed.) The cost of ...
NOI - Net operating Income.9/10/2004
  Q: I have seen this number, NOI - what does this mean. Does this mean after or before debt service? ...
  A: Operating income is net sales less direct and indirect operating costs and before deducting cost of ...
Rising Interest Rates??8/21/2004
  Q: I'm considering purchasing a second condo for rental purposes, although I have some serious ...
  A: Wow -- that's a lot of information for me to digest. I'll try to give you my best answer. 1st, as ...
Renting out my condo6/30/2004
  Q: I am relocating from Methuen, MA to Manhatten. I would like to rent out my condo rather than sell ...
  A: George -- I'm not sure of the distance you're moving but I'm guessing it's too far for you to look ...
Evicting a Tenant on a MTM contract6/29/2004
  Q: What steps should be taken when evicting a tenant with a MTM contract due to non-payment of rent ...
  A: A month to month lease is treated the same as a 12 month lease for eviction purposes. I'm telling ...
fixit ques6/24/2004
  Q: I am living in a rental house in California. My bedroom door is missing a doorknob, the bathroom ...
  A: the landlord should replace/repair those. The light switches should also be repaired/replaced ...
What constitutes "bad credit" for a renter?5/27/2004
  Q: My husband and I got married in March, and we are looking for an apartment or house to rent. ...
  A: Andreia -- with the information you have given me my advice is to let your husbasnd fill out the ...
1st time landlord5/20/2004
  Q: I bought a small single family bungelow for investment purposes. It is a fixer-upper, but I can do ...
  A: I guess the first thing I would tell you is: trust your instincts. If you like someone that's ...
Property lease4/28/2004
  Q: Ms Nachatilo, You are where I want to be in 5 years. I am wanting to lease my current first ...
  A: My husband and I are in business together and he has studied extensively and gone to many many ...
Rental Payments4/18/2004
  Q: I'm thinking of setting up an "auto-payment" feature for my tentants. If they allow my property ...
  A: it sounds like a good idea. My guess is you would have to set the transactions up with each ...
Apt. Manager Credentials4/15/2004
  Q: I would love the opportunity to be a residential apartment manager to get experience in property ...
  A: 1st, (in Oklahoma anyway) you don't don't to be a realtor to manage an apartment if you live in one ...
Apartments/Furnished vs. Unfurnished4/11/2004
  Q: Nachatilo, I'll be looking real soon for an apartment in Nashville, Tennessee. I'm single/no ...
  A: Most landlords want a minimum of a 6 month lease because even though you might take good care of the ...
Renting Home/Apartment2/27/2004
  Q: Nachatilo, I'm moving to Nashville, Tennessee in April and will be looking preferrably for a two ...
  A: Did you have some problems with the apartment you are renting now? I would just say, make a list of ...
Cap Rate1/9/2004
  Q: What is the definition of cap rate from an income approach. My Real Estate mentor uses a 15% cap ...
  A: Mostly cap rate is used for commercial and multi-family properties. We don't use it, pe se-- what ...
asking realtor to rent our condo out1/2/2004
  Q: We plan to rent our townhouse out through a realtor. We talked with a few realtors. Is it normal ...
  A: it's normal to ask for some kind of contract, because as a manager, you don't want to go to a lot of ...
rental house - tax consequences11/5/2003
  Q: I live in MI. My sister lives in AZ. I am looking to buy a house in AZ and rent it out to my ...
  A: If you were to co-buy this house -- that is have her on the mortgage with you you would probably get ...
investment strategies8/20/2003
  Q: We are moderate income homeowners that wish to purchase a 6-8 unit multifamily building.We are ...
  A: Some strategies that come to mind are: If you are not tied to a particular mortgage lender -- SHOP ...

All Questions in This Category

Residential Property Management

Stefani Nachatilo

Top Expert on this page