Residential Property Management/Questions Answered by Expert Ben Edsall

SubjectDate Asked
can tenant I'm evicting change lock?9/4/2012
  Q: because I have asked for help last month too! I have a home that's been in foreclosure for about 5 ...
  A: <b>You can give all the notice you like but without a court order you cannot forcibly evict them. ...
Resident Manager Pet6/4/2012
  Q: I am interviewing this week to manage five one-bedroom apartments (in two old, subdivided ...
  A: I see no legal reason why you could not have a pet. However, tenants are much like children and are ...
Rental housing?5/6/2012
  Q: How are you? I currently live in Waco, Texas, and currently, I am moving out of my house at the end ...
  A: You have pretty much covered all the bases. You may need to increase either you search area or the ...
Managing condo4/22/2012
  Q: I'm canadian and planing to start HOA management business in Florida. Do I need to be american ...
  A: I'm sorry I am not based in Florida and although I am somewhat familiar with their requirements I ...
apartment4/7/2012
  Q: I have 2 questions. The first is: I am a senior US citizen and I live in New York, NY I have, ...
  A: firstly I must say that New York City has many of its own landlord - tenant laws that are specific ...
Residential ( Fl. ) Property Management Requirments1/30/2012
  Q: I am a 25 yr. Fl. Real Estate Broker. What else is required of me besides being a broker to manage ...
  A: According the sources I've read, Florida laws are as follows. ...
Is this legal to do when you’re on a lease?11/5/2011
  Q: I have a lease for my apartment that ends at the end of May 2012. I want to move out either in ...
  A: I sincerely doubt that you would be in violation of any actual laws; however you may be in violation ...
Apartment Alterations10/31/2011
  Q: I live in Queens, NY, in an apartment building. Currently, the apartment above us is being ...
  A: I am not intimately familiar with the codes and building restrictions of Queens, but my knowledge of ...
harrasment from property manager8/20/2011
  Q: I'm 22 years old and just 5 months ago I moved into these apartments with my son(1 year old# and ...
  A: Set up an appointment and sit down with the management to discuss it. It is obvious one of your ...
garnishment6/6/2011
  Q: Can the hoa garnish your wages if your house was forclosed on and you moved to another state?
  A: Interesting, I know of someone else who was worried about a similar problem. I'm not an attorney and ...
Fiduciary duty of a property manager to a lessee4/19/2011
  Q: Greetings. I am leasing a home for one year. The lease is managed by a property management company ...
  A: Unfortunately your situation is not unique, currently we are experiencing similar problems with many ...
Property Management @ my job2/22/2011
  Q: I recently had one of my car windows broken while I was @ work. I have recently come to find out ...
  A: You can sue anyone for just about anything, but placing the liability on the landlord is difficult ...
Property Management Online Schools2/9/2011
  Q: I am looking for online property management course. What do you recommend. Thank you, Rita.
  A: That depends on a number of factors. 1. Does anyone in your area recognize or even know of the ...
How many rentals is too many?2/1/2011
  Q: How many properties is too many properties to manage if per say you are the one and only manager? ...
  A: That depends on a number of factors. Scattered site management can present many challenges ...
beach rental complaint9/29/2010
  Q: A recent beach vacation rental was paid for in full before arrival as is typical. The unit was ...
  A: The management company is the liaison between the owner and the tenants, they hire the management ...
Rental Management Transfer/Deposit9/25/2010
  Q: When I moved into a rental house I paid a deposit to the owner of the property. Later she hired a ...
  A: If the management company did not receive the deposit and do not have it in escrow, they would not ...
notification to enter leased room9/7/2010
  Q: Are there rules about when and how a landlord may enter the premises in which the renter lives. 3 ...
  A: Each state and some municipalities have their own landlord-tenant laws and rules. In most cases ...
planning apartment buying8/29/2010
  Q: respected sir, I live in an apartment and i think the owner is too old and alone that ...
  A: In this economy the hardest thing is going to be getting financing. If you can get the owner to ...
lease/purchase for child8/26/2010
  Q: I am purchasing a home for my daughter and will rent it to her with a lease. How is the best way to ...
  A: There are several online sources for finding these documents, I will link to a few; however it would ...
E&O insurance for property management8/7/2010
  Q: I'm currently a property manager in Dayton, Ohio working for a real estate firm. I'm interested in ...
  A: I'm not sure you need it, if you are working under that companies name and direction you should be ...
Non-renewal Lease notice7/20/2010
  Q: We have been living in the rental townhouse for last 2 years and 2 months. We have been having tons ...
  A: Notice of Non-Renewal is not an eviction and may come for any number of reasons; it should have no ...
Who holds security deposit4/14/2010
  Q: I live in Colorado and am looking to hire a property management company. When we get a tenant; how ...
  A: typically if the tenant is placed by the property manager then they keep the deposit in escrow. If ...
caretaker contracts3/21/2010
  Q: My husband and I recently purchased property that we would like maintained by a live in caretaker. ...
  A: I am not an attorney and would not presume to write up a contract for such a situation. It has been ...
Residential Property Management in California3/10/2010
  Q: I own several properties in California and am interested in starting my own property management ...
  A: If you have an ownership interest in the properties most states do not require you to be licensed. ...
How do I file my taxes?1/25/2010
  Q: Can someone please give me some advice?? I do light maintenance in the apt. building I live in. My ...
  A: First of all, I am not a tax accountant or a tax attorney. I worked for apartment complexes for ...
pool in rental house1/22/2010
  Q: any avoid activity in the or around the swimming pool area in the rental house? what would be the ...
  A: A pool can be a huge liability; but in a rental house it is even more so. As a real estate broker, ...
Growing a property management company1/11/2010
  Q: I currently do some property management. I would like to expand this business. I really enjoy it and ...
  A: If your focus is single family residential or even smaller multifamily like duplexes, I would ...
Apt Mgt company going under?11/29/2009
  Q: I am the property manager for two complexes and I have only been with the company since July 2009 ...
  A: Unfortunately this is not uncommon, they are headed for disaster. If they have in-fact spent through ...
carpets11/10/2009
  Q: One year ago, I and my husband, no children, moved into an apartment. Everything went ok. Now, 1 ...
  A: This is a common complaint, however; a very unusual request from the landlord. My lease ...
standard property management contract10/17/2009
  Q: i have been keeping an eye on my grandmothers small apt. building in harbor city ca. i i have been ...
  A: Terms of the contract will dictate what is and is not acceptable behavior by the management company. ...
tenants threaten and scream at the manager10/13/2009
  Q: I just started as residen manager in a complex of 88 tenants. I have managed other complexes for 25 ...
  A: I've been in this business for over 25 years, I have been called about everything you can imagine. ...
Property Mgr Who Collects late fees9/26/2009
  Q: I own a residential rental property. The property manager doesn't seem very interested in ensuring ...
  A: I too would be upset with a tenant who was 45 days in arrears. I have a system of rent collection ...
Property management company is withholding rent9/24/2009
  Q: we've got a property management company that is currently withholding rent. What options do we have? ...
  A: It depends on what the contract states. I sometimes withhold rent if there are outstanding invoices ...
property management9/23/2009
  Q: I live in New York City, and I'm trying to break into the property management field, but I have no ...
  A: hook up with organizations like IREM http://www.irem.org/ and take some specialized training; that ...
eviction and being sued9/22/2009
  Q: my rent was due sept. 8th. September was the last month of my lease. I was already looking for a ...
  A: I am sorry for your situation, however they are correct that they can go after the cosigner. These ...
renter limit in my condo community9/17/2009
  Q: I'm on the board of my HOA for my condo community. Currently we are over the renter vs. owner ...
  A: I am sorry for your dilemma, however at this time we are seeing many HOA's amending the rules to ...
basic business license to rent out your own house?9/11/2009
  Q: I read that in some states, a basic business license is required if you intend to rent out your own ...
  A: Business licenses are not generally provided by the state. They are often required by municipalities ...
PM termination letter/form9/8/2009
  Q: I am terminating our PM and I need to send a letter within the next week. I need to know if there's ...
  A: Don't try to write like an attorney. The important things you mentioned can all be spelled out in a ...
No running water at our rental7/23/2009
  Q: we are in our third month renting a home, in which we signed a year lease for, with a property ...
  A: I'm sorry I didn't get to this sooner. I never got the first email about your question. The ...
HOA rights regarding tenants/rental properties7/22/2009
  Q: Other than imposing fines on a property owner for infractions of HOA Rules and Regulations by their ...
  A: The Police, if they are parking illegally or they are disturbing the peace, then the police will ...
Reasons for a Request From Landlord7/15/2009
  Q: I rent a house in GA. My lease is up on August. Landlord said he would send out another lease for ...
  A: Yes, it is very common for landlords to keep copies of rent checks; perhaps he deposited it before ...
renting an apartment7/14/2009
  Q: How are you? I would first like to thank you for taking the time out to answer my question. Okay. I ...
  A: I would expect some delays as there was a holiday in that period of time, but dragging out approval ...
Breaking a lease before it starts7/6/2009
  Q: My daughter rents an apartment and her current lease ends in July and she has signed a lease to ...
  A: I did not find anything at the AG's office of Minnesota stating you can cancel without penalty. ...
Foreclosure on a home with a property manager6/22/2009
  Q: We have experienced a few foreclosures during the last few months. We do not know if we should ...
  A: Unfortunately this is something we are seeing more and more of. Our contract states that we are not ...
Poor credit check6/16/2009
  Q: Can I sue my management company for doing a poor credit check and getting an unsuitable renter in my ...
  A: You can sue practically anyone for anything, the question is; will it stick? Unfortunately not ...
Saving old lease documents6/15/2009
  Q: How long do I need to keep the lease document after a renter has moved out(security deposit ...
  A: That depends on the laws of the state you are in. The rules in Missouri and Kansas are defined by ...
deceased tenant's property6/14/2009
  Q: Our tenant died, no will was found by next of kin. They have left furniture in unit and car (with ...
  A: you will likely need to file for eviction to regain possession of the unit. If you let sibling A ...
new property ownership6/3/2009
  Q: My apartment complex apparently isn't doing well financially and the rumor is that they are selling. ...
  A: Leases transfer with ownership, the sale of the property will not affect your lease at all. However; ...
how rent apt. if almost retired with little income?5/6/2009
  Q: I've lived in the same apt. complex for 15 years and would like to move to a nicer place which would ...
  A: Most management companies have a written system of requirements, it is very hard to deviate from ...
Terminating Property Management Service4/29/2009
  Q: I sent a certified mail to my PM company to terminate their service as stated in the agreement, but ...
  A: I'm assuming they are not returning your calls. I would contact the governing authority in that ...
property mgmt4/21/2009
  Q: I was asked by my property manager to update my profile by providing names of my mortgage lenders, ...
  A: I had to read this one a few times to figure it out. I gather that you live in a condo, and the HOA ...
advance rent4/20/2009
  Q: A tenant in Florida paid the whole years rent in advance. Can I use this money now?
  A: As I read the Florida statute I believe you may not be allowed to spend that money until such time ...
Breakin in my apartment4/6/2009
  Q: Last week somebody breakin to my apartment at 5 AM in morning.Frontdesk people of leasing agency ...
  A: It is difficult for me to have a set answer for your question, as I do not know the details of the ...
Deceased property owner3/28/2009
  Q: My father who has been deceased for 6 years now has property in louisiana that is still in his name ...
  A: Most likely; unless there was a will or other form of conveyance, that left the property to you, you ...
Property Management Start Up3/27/2009
  Q: I will be starting a property management company that will assist banks with REO property, ...
  A: The first thing is to find out what the requirements are in the state you are in. Each state ...
Prop. Management dispute.3/25/2009
  Q: If I have credible evidence that my property manager is not acting in my best interest, can I ...
  A: Laws vary by state, WA is not one I have worked in; however in most states the lease is with the ...
Deposit Refund3/21/2009
  Q: I would like to receive all of my $3000 rental deposit refunded as I plan to move this year. After ...
  A: Remove everything, clean everything, repair everything and photograph everything. If you took ...
Property Management Agreement3/19/2009
  Q: I have a question on property management agreement, between the owner and the management company. ...
  A: This seems odd to me, I understand them wanting to CYA with the tenants since they collected some of ...
advertising rental on behalf of landlord3/16/2009
  Q: My friend has a dispute with her landlord regarding whether she was on a mont-to-month basis or had ...
  A: That is entirely up to the landlord, and here's the catch. Advertising a rental property is a tricky ...
Tenant damages3/6/2009
  Q: Who is responsible for tenant's pet damage to carpeting when the hired property manager rents under ...
  A: I would definitely pursue the tenant for the cost of damages. I would seek a judgement against them. ...
Property Management Co going out of business3/5/2009
  Q: I signed with a property management co. in Kona, Hawaii the end of October of last year for our ...
  A: I would start with contacting the agency that governs agents activities in Hawaii, that should be ...
property manager2/24/2009
  Q: Friends of mine hired a property manager from Craigslist. Probably their first mistake. After 12 ...
  A: That depends on what state they are in. Not all states require property managers to be licensed. I'm ...
Constructed eviction1/21/2009
  Q: I signed into a one year lease for a house near my college campus. Upon meeting the landlord, he ...
  A: Your situation is certainly less than ideal; however, what you are considering is not constructed ...
Business Venture1/11/2009
  Q: I live in NY and am starting my own property management company. I will be the only employee and ...
  A: The first part of your question should be answered by your CPA. I chose an LLC for the simplicity of ...
work for rent12/14/2008
  Q: I have a property that I need to rehab. this summer I had a contractor doing work on another ...
  A: Mistake number one: Never trade work for rent or deposit! 1. In most cases they could file a lien ...
Real Estate12/8/2008
  Q: Where can I find a management agreement between a management company and Condo Board Managers for a ...
  A: Here is a sample management agreement from my website. However; agreements need to be modified to ...
renting equipment8/4/2008
  Q: I'm taking a stab in the dark here. I want to rent my bakery. I've figured out the square foot rate ...
  A: possibly you could base it on the depreciation value allowed by the IRS. Ultimately it will come ...
Building management6/13/2008
  Q: I would like to know if there is a residential building with 100+ unit, how does the management ...
  A: Generally in a property of that size they would have an on-site manager who would be paid for their ...
renting from property manager6/6/2008
  Q: We are moving to Sacramento, CA and are struggling with finding the right home to rent. We may have ...
  A: I rather doubt they will negotiate the lease to your provisions. You could contact the BBB and the ...
Property Management Company5/28/2008
  Q: I live in Central Oregon. There isn't a property I have found that isn't handled by property ...
  A: Try to contact the previous management company and see if they will tell you what is going on. While ...
landlord declaring bankruptcy on my rental5/27/2008
  Q: I received several letters from my landlords mortgage company stating the mortgage has not been paid ...
  A: Unfortunately this is very common lately. We have had many tenants come to us because they were ...
Management Responsibility5/24/2008
  Q: I hired a PM to evict my tenant for constant late payment. Which the PM did. The old tenant came ...
  A: What you can hold the PM accountable for will be decided by the management agreement and perhaps a ...
management agreements5/21/2008
  Q: Do you have a good agreement between owner and management company available for me to use? Also, ...
  A: I started out with a form that I purchased from the Institute of Real Estate Management several ...
Termination of Property Manager Agreement5/11/2008
  Q: I live in California, and I signed a contract with a property manager for my Vallejo Home, for one ...
  A: I am sorry for the delay, we have recently moved our offices and it made it difficult to keep up. ...
Renters/Above ground pool5/6/2008
  Q: I have a house that I rent out in Tennessee. (I live in DC) My renters recently informed me that ...
  A: From the US CDC. In 2004, there were 3,308 unintentional fatal drownings in the United States, ...
Quick Question regarding Condo Rules5/1/2008
  Q: Mike, I am a property manager in the new York tri- state area. I am having a very difficult time ...
  A: I'm not sure how doing anything to the staircase would decrease the sound. It sounds more like the ...
Property Management Unfairly Charging4/30/2008
  Q: I live in a subdivision where the home-owners association has outsourced/contracted out the ...
  A: You are not alone, I found several references to this company at http://www.ripoffreport.com , ...
annoying tenant4/29/2008
  Q: I own a dwelling - cottage 2 bedroom which we have been renting to a woman and child for aprox just ...
  A: Evict her and or hire a property manager, some people are simply not cut out for this. You must not ...
Setting up LLC for real estate investing4/28/2008
  Q: my name is Dion. I'm very much interested in starting my own real estate investing company. I've ...
  A: In most cases the you will have a mortgage on the real estate, not a business loan for real estate. ...
Tenant Harassment4/20/2008
  Q: I moved into a home in January and rented it from a property manager who was eventually let go one ...
  A: I am not an attorney. If you need legal advice you should consult an attorney. However; by calling ...
stepped up basis4/10/2008
  Q: I have been part of a general partnership that owns a piece of rental property. I have recently ...
  A: vee, I assume you mean will there be an increase in the property tax basis based on the current ...
termination of property management agreement2/28/2008
  Q: I have a duplex in Florida that has been managed by a property management agency for eight years. ...
  A: Most agreements have a buy out, or termination fee. A clause which tells you what you must pay if ...
pet agreement2/24/2008
  Q: I would like to know how much landlords charge for pet fee each month usually, and how much is the ...
  A: That depends entirely on the property type and the owners requirements. In most cases we require ...
Cancel Property management agreement2/20/2008
  Q: I have been having issues with the owner of the property for some time now and i would like to ...
  A: Our management agreement allows us to terminate on our terms. We often find this is necessary, ...
management degree vs course2/19/2008
  Q: I am going to buy a rental property and my wife is going to manage the property. We are in a ...
  A: #1 this is not a charity this is a business. You cannot ever become involved with your tenants ...
is it worth it2/14/2008
  Q: Is 9% for medium family dwelling acceptable? What services would that include? I have another ...
  A: When we were getting started we often negotiated our fees. Now we know that we are worth every bit ...
difficulty finding tenant2/12/2008
  Q: I live in Georgia (I understand you have the experiences in MO and KS, but I just would like your ...
  A: First of all; you should know that to say you will not accept section-8 may be a violation of the ...
damages or normal wear and tear?2/9/2008
  Q: I own a duplex. My husband and I live downstairs and rent the upstairs. We refinished the bathroom ...
  A: I think the tenant could argue that they did not cause that. I would install a vent fan and tie it ...
What info am I entitled to as an owner?2/9/2008
  Q: We own a townhome in Florida and after being unable to sell it when a new job moved us to another ...
  A: Utilities: we generally give the tenants 5 days to transfer the utilities. on the sixth day we will ...
Utility Responsibility on Rented Mobile Home Lot2/7/2008
  Q: I hope this question reaches into your knowledge bank! My mother-in-law lives in a mobile home park ...
  A: That depends entirely on what is stated in her lease agreement. Read the lease, if the lease is ...
terminating property management2/5/2008
  Q: After 1 year, we have notified our management company that we are terminating our contract with ...
  A: That may depend on what state they are in. However, typically the PM should return them to you. ...
Landlord filed Bankruptcy2/4/2008
  Q: My property manager informed me by US Mail letter (not certified) that the property owner was filing ...
  A: A letter from the landlord stating that they are filing bankruptcy does not negate your lease. If ...
Property Management2/2/2008
  Q: Can a property manager hold a security deposit and then expect a person to get it reissued after 7 ...
  A: 1. I do not understand the security deposit question. 2. Yes, the PM has no requirement to give you ...
Property Investment1/31/2008
  Q: I am looking for some insight as to how a foreign person can buy property in the U.S. I have a ...
  A: My first thought is that you are being scammed by some e-mail hoax telling you they have huge sums ...
House1/29/2008
  Q: I am purchasing an 8 bedroom house in which i would be living in. I would like to rent the 7 other ...
  A: I have been approached with the opportunity to manage similar situations and I declined. Way too ...
rental1/27/2008
  Q: I live in tennessee and I have a small office building 5000 sq ft, one level.....half offices and ...
  A: I would need a great deal more information but I will provide a link to an article I wrote on that ...
Excessive entry by Real Estate Agents1/26/2008
  Q: My family and I have been renting a condo from an individual for over a year. We are in a month to ...
  A: Keeping in mind: 1. I am not a lawyer 2. My expertise is largely confined to Missouri and Kansas. ...
Law or limit for lease renewal1/24/2008
  Q: I have been told by several property managers that lease amount at time of renewal can only be up to ...
  A: Some municipalities like New York, and other more liberal leaning communities have seen fit to ...
Residential Property Management1/23/2008
  Q: I work at a property management company that mainly deals with single family residences and ...
  A: If you plan to stay with single family management one of the best sources for education is the ...
Property Management1/22/2008
  Q: I am a long distances property owner, I've hired a property manager to manage three of my homes. My ...
  A: You shouldn't be doing any of the above. The property manager you hired should be taking care of ...
What to do when rental property goes to foreclosure (tenant)1/19/2008
  Q: I received a paper from a law firm today stating that they had been charged with collecting on my ...
  A: Yes, start looking for a place today. I see this happen frequently, eventually the bank will be ...
invalid lease and monthly charges1/18/2008
  Q: My apt management is conducting a file audit and they have found that my lease was not renewed. they ...
  A: This whole thing sounds like someone made a big mistake and now they are trying to play catch up. I ...
1099s1/15/2008
  Q: I've have a new residential property management firm and I'm wondering about 1099s. As a property ...
  A: Sorry for the delay, My bookkeeper, takes care of all that. But you should really consult a tax pro ...
Qustions on Real Estate1/10/2008
  Q: I am just getting started on taking coures in real-estate and real-estate investing. I am looking ...
  A: In the early 90's there were a bunch of "Gurus" selling programs, tapes and books about no money ...
satellite dish1/8/2008
  Q: I leased my first apartment and was looking into getting a dish. when I asked the land lord if it ...
  A: The FCC (Federal Communications Commission) has addressed this issue and ruled on it. n 1996, the ...
Credit worthiness for home rental1/7/2008
  Q: My roommate and I are looking to rent a Home/Townhome. I believe I have bad credit and don't think ...
  A: Each property management firm or apartment complex should generally have a written set of guidelines ...
Public Health1/4/2008
  Q: Mr Edsall - I'm originially from California now living in Maryland. In Los Angeles it is mandatory ...
  A: I am not in MD, I am in Missouri. However, that is a rather unusual law. I would not expect that to ...
Property Management Co. notdoing inspections1/2/2008
  Q: I enlisted the help of a property management company to lease my home. They never sent me ...
  A: That largely depends on what your management agreement states and what the tenants lease states. The ...

All Questions in This Category

Residential Property Management

Ben Edsall

Top Expert on this page