Respiratory: Allergies & Sinus Problems/Allergies to fireplace?

Jason wrote at 2015-12-27 00:22:25

not sure what your profession is, or who your clients are but people heated there homes with wood long before any of us were alive and no one had any health issues even though no one had heard of EPA testing.  Perhaps its the fact that our crops are now sprayed 3-4 times in a growing season with pesticides, herbicides and other unnatural harmful chemicals before we consume these crops that is the cause.  Yes these chemicals also cause lung problems and prevent our immune systems from functioning as intended.

I would look at the harms of energy produced by nuclear power as a whole first rather than a natural renewable resource.  Anyone that burns treated or painted wood in their home were probably the same people that ate paint chips as a kid.

The reason why wood stoves installs have decreased over time is for the following reasons:

1) people do not want to take their free time to cut, split and haul wood;

2) No one wants to get up and stoke a stove multiple times a night if used for heating;

3)in the last 100 years there has been a trend in the population moving to urban areas, therefore access to wood (which once may have been plentiful and free) is now gone which is one of the things that made burning wood so attractive.

Respiratory: Allergies & Sinus Problems

Gene Sperling

I can answer questions about indoor air quality, respiratory medications, home toxins, allergies and VOC's (volatile organic compounds). Home and office environmental issues and general medication questions regarding side effects and interactions.

I have been a pharmacist for 30 years. I have been director of pharmacy services for a large teaching hospital, and have served as a consultant pharmacist to various out-patient programs. I have organized and managed various infusion programs treating infectious disease, immunologic diseases, and metabolic disorders. For the past 15 years I have operated a national respiratory pharmacy and devoted my time to assessing asthma, COPD, and emphysema patients and their problems. I know how to set-up and maintain a 'clean room' environment and I know how to resourcefully remediate environmental issues that cause health problems.

I am a current or past member of IAQA, IESO, CA Pharmacists Assoc., NCPA, Consultant Pharmacists Assoc., Calcerts, and many others. I have licensing from the GSA (Government Services Organization). I have served on the California Task Force for Disaster Preparedness under the Department of Health Services.

I am in the process of researching the application of Building Science as it relates to the Healthcare Industry. The purpose is to show the relationship(s) between 'sealed environments', poor construction, and improper equipment installations in modern homes and offices. The building boom of the 90's and 00's accelerated at a pace that did not allow proper oversight or adequate research of new techniques in construction design and the trades that applied them.

I have a degree in Pharmacy from the University of Oklahoma. I have upper division courses in bio-pharmaceutics, medicinal chemistry, organic chemistry, pharmacokinetics, toxicology, immunology, microbiology,etc. I have taken numerous post-graduate courses on respiratory disorders, mold, environmental issues, indoor air quality, building science, HVAC, clean room set-ups, womens health, and medication therapy management.

I have received a distinguished achievement award from the County of Los Angeles for work with the Asthma Reading & Education Program sponsered by the UCLA clinics and Martin Luther King Medical Center. I have sponsored winter ski retreats for children with asthma. I have served on the Boards of several home health agencies. My highest honor comes when I can help someone understand how their personal environment influences their health, and how their own awareness positively impacts their quality of living. There is no greater award than helping others.

My past and current clients have been the thousands of patients and physicians that I have consulted for and with to assess alternative approaches to disease management through common sense treatment, and how our personal environment influences our overall health.