Respiratory: Allergies & Sinus Problems/Allergy

Hello I just wanted to ask for your advice on coping with allergies. I have allergic rhinitis, food allergies, asthma, and even eczema. How can I improve air quality in my home? Do air purifiers really work? Also what kind of detergents should I use. Any and all advice on living/coping with allergies is appreciated.

There is one Air Filtration that stands out from the crowd, and it is the ONLY one that I sell to immunocompromised patients. The IQ Air Health Pro Plus.

It is a excellant plact to begin by placing one in the bedroom. If you have carpet in the bedroom it is best replaced with wood or ceramic or just left bare cement if you are on slab. I give allergy patients a 30 free home trial to see if it is going to work so look for that type of guarantee, because your problem may be more VOC related. It can be purchased at thousands of places on the web. There is nothing that even comes close to this for persons with the combination of nasal rhinosinusitis, and assorted allergies.

For laundry soaps begin by purchasing on without fragrance. "Allergist Approved" means absolutely nothing. Pay no attention to claims listed on the box/bottle. I now use a self made detergent with base ingredients that are devoid or almost devoid of surfactants, and it is also NOT 'HE'. My formula is as follows:

1 Cup A&H baking soda
1 Cup plain Borax laundry detergent (CVS has this).
1 Cup A&H laundry detergent
2 'Bars' of Magno hand and body soap. This may be purchased on the web from Barkley Crocker, and I pulvarize the bars into a finely ground powder.

You may use a tablespoonful of Oxyclean for extreme whites.

I mix these ingredients together and only use a tablespoonful per larg load. This is plenty because it is not HE and has fewer fillers.

Respiratory: Allergies & Sinus Problems

Gene Sperling

I can answer questions about indoor air quality, respiratory medications, home toxins, allergies and VOC's (volatile organic compounds). Home and office environmental issues and general medication questions regarding side effects and interactions.

I have been a pharmacist for 30 years. I have been director of pharmacy services for a large teaching hospital, and have served as a consultant pharmacist to various out-patient programs. I have organized and managed various infusion programs treating infectious disease, immunologic diseases, and metabolic disorders. For the past 15 years I have operated a national respiratory pharmacy and devoted my time to assessing asthma, COPD, and emphysema patients and their problems. I know how to set-up and maintain a 'clean room' environment and I know how to resourcefully remediate environmental issues that cause health problems.

I am a current or past member of IAQA, IESO, CA Pharmacists Assoc., NCPA, Consultant Pharmacists Assoc., Calcerts, and many others. I have licensing from the GSA (Government Services Organization). I have served on the California Task Force for Disaster Preparedness under the Department of Health Services.

I am in the process of researching the application of Building Science as it relates to the Healthcare Industry. The purpose is to show the relationship(s) between 'sealed environments', poor construction, and improper equipment installations in modern homes and offices. The building boom of the 90's and 00's accelerated at a pace that did not allow proper oversight or adequate research of new techniques in construction design and the trades that applied them.

I have a degree in Pharmacy from the University of Oklahoma. I have upper division courses in bio-pharmaceutics, medicinal chemistry, organic chemistry, pharmacokinetics, toxicology, immunology, microbiology,etc. I have taken numerous post-graduate courses on respiratory disorders, mold, environmental issues, indoor air quality, building science, HVAC, clean room set-ups, womens health, and medication therapy management.

I have received a distinguished achievement award from the County of Los Angeles for work with the Asthma Reading & Education Program sponsered by the UCLA clinics and Martin Luther King Medical Center. I have sponsored winter ski retreats for children with asthma. I have served on the Boards of several home health agencies. My highest honor comes when I can help someone understand how their personal environment influences their health, and how their own awareness positively impacts their quality of living. There is no greater award than helping others.

My past and current clients have been the thousands of patients and physicians that I have consulted for and with to assess alternative approaches to disease management through common sense treatment, and how our personal environment influences our overall health.