Respiratory: Allergies & Sinus Problems/Allergy Medicine side effects

Hello Mr Sperling,

I have bad seasonal allergies, they are so bad that sometimes I have to leave my office job.  When they hit, I can't focus, my mind is foggy and I am physically miserable.

Yet, when I take medicines such as Zyrtec (which everyone raves about) it leaves me as a zombie for days.  It seems that even though my itchy eyes and sneezing are gone I am a complete bed ridden zombie.  

I don't know which is worse.

Do you have any advice so I can be productive despite my allergies!

Thank You!

My personal favorite.

Allegra D or fexophenadine D, 12 hour, taken once each morning with an advil tablet both morning and evening. The D will keep you awake at night if you take it too close to bed.

This gives 3 ways of attack: an antihistamine for local control, and decongestant for drying, and enough suppression of the immune systemm to allow your body to work.

Cheers, Gene

Respiratory: Allergies & Sinus Problems

Gene Sperling

I can answer questions about indoor air quality, respiratory medications, home toxins, allergies and VOC's (volatile organic compounds). Home and office environmental issues and general medication questions regarding side effects and interactions.

I have been a pharmacist for 30 years. I have been director of pharmacy services for a large teaching hospital, and have served as a consultant pharmacist to various out-patient programs. I have organized and managed various infusion programs treating infectious disease, immunologic diseases, and metabolic disorders. For the past 15 years I have operated a national respiratory pharmacy and devoted my time to assessing asthma, COPD, and emphysema patients and their problems. I know how to set-up and maintain a 'clean room' environment and I know how to resourcefully remediate environmental issues that cause health problems.

I am a current or past member of IAQA, IESO, CA Pharmacists Assoc., NCPA, Consultant Pharmacists Assoc., Calcerts, and many others. I have licensing from the GSA (Government Services Organization). I have served on the California Task Force for Disaster Preparedness under the Department of Health Services.

I am in the process of researching the application of Building Science as it relates to the Healthcare Industry. The purpose is to show the relationship(s) between 'sealed environments', poor construction, and improper equipment installations in modern homes and offices. The building boom of the 90's and 00's accelerated at a pace that did not allow proper oversight or adequate research of new techniques in construction design and the trades that applied them.

I have a degree in Pharmacy from the University of Oklahoma. I have upper division courses in bio-pharmaceutics, medicinal chemistry, organic chemistry, pharmacokinetics, toxicology, immunology, microbiology,etc. I have taken numerous post-graduate courses on respiratory disorders, mold, environmental issues, indoor air quality, building science, HVAC, clean room set-ups, womens health, and medication therapy management.

I have received a distinguished achievement award from the County of Los Angeles for work with the Asthma Reading & Education Program sponsered by the UCLA clinics and Martin Luther King Medical Center. I have sponsored winter ski retreats for children with asthma. I have served on the Boards of several home health agencies. My highest honor comes when I can help someone understand how their personal environment influences their health, and how their own awareness positively impacts their quality of living. There is no greater award than helping others.

My past and current clients have been the thousands of patients and physicians that I have consulted for and with to assess alternative approaches to disease management through common sense treatment, and how our personal environment influences our overall health.