Respiratory: Allergies & Sinus Problems/Wood burning Fire Place

Question
I have been experiencing allergy symptoms especially sitting in my Living room near the fireplace but all through the house also. My husband cleaned out the fireplace and sprayed it with vinegar and water, but there is still a smell.  My questions is how do I get rid of this smell?  Servpro? chimney sweep?  also our damper is stuck in the open position.
Thanks for your help

Answer
Jacqui...

The Fire Place that has burned wood, and to a lesser extent even gas is a complete repository to all the hydrocarbons emitted by diesel vehicles and forest fires.

You may think of it as a 150-250 square inch hole in your roof through which someone has hooked up a blower that is filling your home with ash, soot, char, SOx, NOx, and CO, each and every time you open a door or window.

It is proven that these carbon rich beds last for many many years and dissapate slowely. I have personally been in the homes of asthmatics where this was the sole factor in triggering their asthmatic attacks. Sealing off the flue changes things a little, but remember that even after this is done the carpeting, paint, furniture, and draperies still hold the residual.

You must either have an efficient damper installed or buy an inflatable choke from a FP store.

All the vinegar and water did was to loosen some of the surface materials down low and expose older char that is embeded in the flue.

Cheers, Gene

Respiratory: Allergies & Sinus Problems

Gene Sperling