Respiratory: Allergies & Sinus Problems/hives

Question
QUESTION: hi gene,im a 79 year old man with enlargement of prostate.this however does not give me urination problems as i have no problem uurinating i tale flomax.my kidney function for a 79  year old is moderate kidney impairmenr.my gfr was 49 which is closeto normal for a 79 year old mani take blood thinners, lisintrol and amplodine.also insulin novolog and lantus.i have diabetes.my problem is hives.i take fexofenadine.allegra.i usually take benadryl it gets rid of hives but old farts not to take benadryl.i understand allegra wont effect hives .with kidney impairment the manufactur said i shoukd try 60 mg for kidney problems.i take 90 mg so what do i do when hives come out take benadryl for 5 days or take allegra daily when hives appear for 10 days ?appreciate your advice.benadryl helps the hives better,but they put articles staying if people 9ver 75 take benadryj it will lead to cognitivr problems

ANSWER: howard...

Take the allegra during the day and take a benedryl at night. It will also help you sleep.

For the hives it sounds like a food or drug allergy. Tell me about your typical diet.

Cheers, Gene

QUESTION: my diet for a 79 year old is good.my dinners ae fish and vegetables twice a week,chicken and meat twice a week,you said take benadryl for sleep.all the articles i have read said elderly people over 70 should not take benadryl as it can cause urine retension and dementia.i dont believe anything i read,now they are saying ambien causes permanent memory loss and dementia,they publish these reports because 60%of our population are definiely low grade morons.maybe i would br safer if i took benadryl 2 or 3 ytimes a week?the hives came from a sulphur drug a half-ass doctor prescribed for meii now do research on every drug the doctor prescribes for me an example bactrim that drug gave me a rash for 6 months interested in benadryl causing dementia and urine blockage.im 79 the only doctors i see are indian and asiasn doctors

Answer
Howard...

I still think that the Allegra in the morning, and the Benadryl (25mg) at night are best till the rash disappears.

Also, it is very important to re-moistureize your skin after each shower. Try a good hand cream along with a product that you can buy at Costco called Amlactin. The Amlactin draws water into the skin.

Check it out.

Cheers, Gene

Respiratory: Allergies & Sinus Problems

Gene Sperling