Respiratory: Allergies & Sinus Problems/allergies?

Hi, I was wondering if you ever see a connection between seasonal nasal allergies and bloating for children. I have a almost 4 year old who recently had an allergy flair up, from smelling some flowers outside. This was the first time that we definatley figured out she had nasal allergies to pollen, etc. This was Thursday. On Saturday, I noticed bloating in the stomach and very firm. She also experiences slight diarrhea, but very very little, almost unnoticeable. She also had on one occasion stated she need to go to the bathroom for "poop" and said she did, however there was nothing in there.

She just went to her doctor who felt her stomach and examined her and found nothing. It seemed odd that this both happened the same time as the flair up. I am starting some Claritin daily.

I was wondering if there is any connection? She does not have pain, but is very very stuffy, looks bloated, and I feel she is eating slightly less. Never saw any of this before. This is not her normal.

Can you give some advice?

Well...The short part of a longer answer is yes. Bloating can be exacerbated by an allergic reaction.

In a well Published article on TILT or Sensitivity Related Illnesses from the Medical Journal Science of the Total Environment it states....."the most common symptoms associated with SRI include fatigue, muscle aches, memory and concentration difficulties, anxiety, gastrointestinal problems and headache. Gastrointestinal complaints include bloating, indigestion, heart-burn, constipation and or loose stools. The dermatiological symptoms include itchy skin, dryness, etc."

You will need to write to me for me to send you the entire article along with other related ones. This is a copy protected article and there is no way to send the link.

All of the medical studies being done on the environment are conducted in Canada, UK, Germany, and Australia. The studies are done be the government. In the U.S. the chemical companies do not want this topic studied so they don't fund it.

Home this helps.

Cheers, Gene

Respiratory: Allergies & Sinus Problems

Gene Sperling

I can answer questions about indoor air quality, respiratory medications, home toxins, allergies and VOC's (volatile organic compounds). Home and office environmental issues and general medication questions regarding side effects and interactions.

I have been a pharmacist for 30 years. I have been director of pharmacy services for a large teaching hospital, and have served as a consultant pharmacist to various out-patient programs. I have organized and managed various infusion programs treating infectious disease, immunologic diseases, and metabolic disorders. For the past 15 years I have operated a national respiratory pharmacy and devoted my time to assessing asthma, COPD, and emphysema patients and their problems. I know how to set-up and maintain a 'clean room' environment and I know how to resourcefully remediate environmental issues that cause health problems.

I am a current or past member of IAQA, IESO, CA Pharmacists Assoc., NCPA, Consultant Pharmacists Assoc., Calcerts, and many others. I have licensing from the GSA (Government Services Organization). I have served on the California Task Force for Disaster Preparedness under the Department of Health Services.

I am in the process of researching the application of Building Science as it relates to the Healthcare Industry. The purpose is to show the relationship(s) between 'sealed environments', poor construction, and improper equipment installations in modern homes and offices. The building boom of the 90's and 00's accelerated at a pace that did not allow proper oversight or adequate research of new techniques in construction design and the trades that applied them.

I have a degree in Pharmacy from the University of Oklahoma. I have upper division courses in bio-pharmaceutics, medicinal chemistry, organic chemistry, pharmacokinetics, toxicology, immunology, microbiology,etc. I have taken numerous post-graduate courses on respiratory disorders, mold, environmental issues, indoor air quality, building science, HVAC, clean room set-ups, womens health, and medication therapy management.

I have received a distinguished achievement award from the County of Los Angeles for work with the Asthma Reading & Education Program sponsered by the UCLA clinics and Martin Luther King Medical Center. I have sponsored winter ski retreats for children with asthma. I have served on the Boards of several home health agencies. My highest honor comes when I can help someone understand how their personal environment influences their health, and how their own awareness positively impacts their quality of living. There is no greater award than helping others.

My past and current clients have been the thousands of patients and physicians that I have consulted for and with to assess alternative approaches to disease management through common sense treatment, and how our personal environment influences our overall health.