Respiratory: Allergies & Sinus Problems/Hoarseness for past 3yrs

I've had an endoscopy done after I was having issues w hoarseness. Dr. Wanted to ensure no polyps or acid reflux. I don't get heartburn much. Results came back as everything looked ok (just a little red) so we tried acid meds. Nothing worked. As time moved on I realized the hoarseness comes and goes. When I thought about it - it seemed seasonal like from March till Thanksgiving I'd be fighting this hoarseness. Then during Winter it got better. Ahh, I assumed allergies. I have a lot of post nasal drip. So I began allergy meds (Allegra or Claritin twice a day as directed by my asthma dr). And I use nasonex. Ok well not helping. So now what? Here I am still hoarse. I was in the FL Keys a week ago and was pretty good and didn't even use my inhaler. I then start wondering is it my current town? I hadn't ever experienced this before (unless as a child of cry real hard and be hoarse the next day). I've lived in this more "country" town since 08 and it seemed to happen shortly after. Hmm but could me living 10mins away from my hometown really make such a diff? Yes there are more farms around me and animals down the road etc. I just don't know where else to turn. It seems like no dr can find the cause or help w a cute. It hurts to talk when I'm real hoarse like tonight and I'm getting frustrated having to deal w this condition. Any ideas? Thoughts? Where I may turn to next? I appreciate any feedback as I just feel lost and helpless.

It is very difficult to deal with a situation like yours, so lets first look at the basics of Environmental issues.

Begin with your bedding:

Mandatory pillow and mattress hypoallergenic covers. BedBath&Beyond.

Laundry products must not contain odors. Absolutely no fabric softeners of any kind. These degrade with heat and turn into a teflon product, and this irritates te lining of the nasal mucosa.

Cleaning products for the home. Absolutely NO--NO--NO Fabreze, Swiffer, Murphy's oil soap, Old English, Bar Keeper products.

No Glade (or similar) plug in's.

When this has been cleared, if you still have problems...let me know, and we can move on to phase 2.

Cheers, Gene

Cheers, Gene

Respiratory: Allergies & Sinus Problems

Gene Sperling

I can answer questions about indoor air quality, respiratory medications, home toxins, allergies and VOC's (volatile organic compounds). Home and office environmental issues and general medication questions regarding side effects and interactions.

I have been a pharmacist for 30 years. I have been director of pharmacy services for a large teaching hospital, and have served as a consultant pharmacist to various out-patient programs. I have organized and managed various infusion programs treating infectious disease, immunologic diseases, and metabolic disorders. For the past 15 years I have operated a national respiratory pharmacy and devoted my time to assessing asthma, COPD, and emphysema patients and their problems. I know how to set-up and maintain a 'clean room' environment and I know how to resourcefully remediate environmental issues that cause health problems.

I am a current or past member of IAQA, IESO, CA Pharmacists Assoc., NCPA, Consultant Pharmacists Assoc., Calcerts, and many others. I have licensing from the GSA (Government Services Organization). I have served on the California Task Force for Disaster Preparedness under the Department of Health Services.

I am in the process of researching the application of Building Science as it relates to the Healthcare Industry. The purpose is to show the relationship(s) between 'sealed environments', poor construction, and improper equipment installations in modern homes and offices. The building boom of the 90's and 00's accelerated at a pace that did not allow proper oversight or adequate research of new techniques in construction design and the trades that applied them.

I have a degree in Pharmacy from the University of Oklahoma. I have upper division courses in bio-pharmaceutics, medicinal chemistry, organic chemistry, pharmacokinetics, toxicology, immunology, microbiology,etc. I have taken numerous post-graduate courses on respiratory disorders, mold, environmental issues, indoor air quality, building science, HVAC, clean room set-ups, womens health, and medication therapy management.

I have received a distinguished achievement award from the County of Los Angeles for work with the Asthma Reading & Education Program sponsered by the UCLA clinics and Martin Luther King Medical Center. I have sponsored winter ski retreats for children with asthma. I have served on the Boards of several home health agencies. My highest honor comes when I can help someone understand how their personal environment influences their health, and how their own awareness positively impacts their quality of living. There is no greater award than helping others.

My past and current clients have been the thousands of patients and physicians that I have consulted for and with to assess alternative approaches to disease management through common sense treatment, and how our personal environment influences our overall health.