Respiratory Therapist/Breathing post Pneumonia

blongbon wrote at 2010-03-03 17:04:41
Dear Neal, unfortunately I have only just found your reply to my post, my daughter passed away on the 15th January, after an autopsy was carried out it revealed that she did not have Pneumonia and was wrongly diagnosed and treated in the hospital.  My daughter had Pulmonary Hypertension which then lead to Cor Pulmonale, I have been researching this condition since my daughter's sudden death and realize it is a contraindication of Severe Spinal Scoliosis which my daughter suffered from, it would seem that my daughter was let down by a vast number of medical professionals and I have now opened Enquiries into her death with three different health regions that were supposed to be caring and monitoring her, I cannot tell you how devastated I am but I suppose you can imagine, thank you for your help and I do not know why I found this message today, Karma I suppose as I have today received her medical notes from the Hospital where she was being treated for the Pneumonia, kind regards Barbara

Tim wrote at 2012-11-07 06:37:27
You should know a little something...Bipap does not remove Co2 levels by it self. Bipap facilitates Respirations and its her respiration (taking deeper fuller breathes and slow exhales) that allow Sara to "blow off" the Co2 build up. She must work with the machine and breathe fully in and fully out in accordance to her expiratory pressure usually set at 10 inspiratory pressure over 5 expiratory pressure (pip and peep)allowing for 5 of pressure support.  Or in the medical field we say 10/5 and it can be 14/7 or 12/6 all depending on her and an assessment of her breathing "with" the machine.  

For her weight, drop it, it pushes up on her diaphram and does not allow it to fully descend downward drawing in a full breath and allowing for larger exchange of o2 and Co2.  

Respiratory Therapist

Neal Okerson

I should be able to answer most questions about anatomy and physiology of heart and lungs. I also enjoy answering questions about understanding diseases. I should also be able to explain the goals and objectives of various pulmonary related treatments. Not an M.D., but worked in the field (Certified Respiratory Therapy Technician) since 1990. Registered Respiratory Therapist since 1995. B.S. degree in Health Education (1987). Currently working (since 1993) as the Director of Clinical Education in an AMA approved Respiratory Care Program in Western KY.