Respiratory Therapist/How to get rid of excess secretions?

Question
Hi :)

I'm hoping you can tell me how I can get rid of excess secretions, without the use of suction, saline nebs etc ;) I'm in my 20's and have no pre-existing conditions although I am a light smoker. I had a bad cold that started five days ago, I had a bad cough, sore throat, sneezing etc. Four days later I was no longer sneezing and felt pretty much back to normal, except I have a lot of excess mucous which I'm not sure how to get rid of. It's actually affecting my breathing. During the cold I had a dry cough but now I have developed a productive cough. The problem is that I cannot expectorate, simply because the idea is just so grosse to me that I cannot physically do it (I can't even spit for the same reason). Is there anything else that I can do/any meds that would help?
Also would you expect that kind of congestion simply from a cold? I doubt I had flu as I've recently been vaccinated, do colds have the capacity to become bronchitis etc?

Thank you for reading, I look forward to your reply

Answer
Both nasal and chest congestion are common with both a cold (rhinovirus) or flu, as well as general aches and pains. For 3-4 days, try drinking plenty of decaffeinated tea (caffeinated tea generally can have a diuretic effect and dry your system up, making secretions thicker) and taking the over-the-counter medicine Mucinex. As for the dosage of the Mucinex, refer to the medication's box in regard to your age, gender, etc.  I hope this helps!

Best of health to you,

Larry, RRT

Respiratory Therapist

Larry W. Wical, BA-RRT