Respiratory Therapist/Side effect from pulmicort or albuterol

Question
My three year old daughter has has a red spot on her hard palate for about a month. It has increased in size moving across the roof of her mouth. It doesn't seem to bother her at all. She has had asthma since an infant and she has had a runny nose for the past three months. I have taken her back and forth to her doctor and her dentist and they don't seem to have a clue what this spot is. She does take albuterol and pulmicort for the asthma. We have also tried Flonase and prednisone which seemed like it helped a little. My doctor just dismisses it that its nothing serious but it bothers me. I woul like to know what's causing this? Her dentist has no clue.

http://i1209.photobucket.com/albums/cc393/kkingery83/DCE8E4CB-33A4-4ED6-B133-94B

Answer
Good morning Kim,

So very sorry for the delayed response, the Holiday season got the best of me and I haven't been checking email as frequently as usual.  Pulmicort is an excellent drug for the right patients, but one down side with a nebulized steroidal med is that it can potentially cause thrush-like breakouts in patients' mouths if the mouth isn't rinsed out thoroughly after each treatment. While I can't say for sure this is what is going on, it is my best guess at this point. Thrush isn't necessarily painful per se, but does leave patches of whitish patches or a raw tongue... so she may not be all that fussy if she has/had it.  I hope this helps!

God bless!

Larry, RRT

Respiratory Therapist

Larry W. Wical, BA-RRT