Respiratory Therapist/Help with results from a medical check up

Question
Good day,

I  went for a medical check up for employment and these results came back to me. Im rather alarmed and i honestly don't know if any of these are as bad as i think they sound. These are the results of my medical.

Class Pending: For Fasting Blood Sugar and HbA1c; if Fasting Blood Sugar and
         HbA1c are elevated, for Endocrinologist consult and clearance for work regarding
         status of possible diabetes mellitus.
   Diagnosis: Glucosuria; Diabetes Mellitus Suspect; With History of Pneumothorax; Status post Excision of left breast mass;
         Pulmonary Hyperaeration (on radiograph); Mild Scoliosis (on radiograph)
   Drug Test: Negative for Methamphetamine and Tetrahydrocannabinol.
   Chest X-Ray: Pulmonary Hyperaeration.
         Mild Scoliosis.

I want to know about the pulmonary hyperaeration. Is it curable?? Or serious for that matter? Is my pneumothorax a possible cause for this? Im not a smoker, but i sometimes smoke cigarettes once in a while, but not enough to say that i am a smoker.  Could you tell me more about this please??

Could you please help me in understanding these results in layman's terms?

Greatly appreciated.

Answer
Hi Carla,

Thank you so much for entrusting me with your medical questions today...and my apologies for taking a couple days to get back to you. Now and then my "Spam" box steals my legitimate emails, so I am working to get that fixed.  

To answer your question, all kinds of technical-sounding medical terms show up as a result of diagnostic tests such as XRays, CAT Scans and MRIs. Many times, they are just "observations" and not significant medical issues to worry too much about. Hyperaeration usually means that the lungs are expanded and have more air than one would expect.  Thus, the term "hyper" rather than "normal" aeration is used.  If you were simply taking in a large breath at the time of the chest x-ray, this can show up as a false positive result. It is most commonly seen in people during an asthma attack, adults with emphysema and other lung conditions related mostly to smoking-related disease processes. A pneumothorax is a collection of free air in the chest outside the lung that causes the lung to collapse, so it's essentially the opposite of hyperaeration. The lungs normally inflate by increasing the size of the chest cavity, resulting in a negative (vacuum) pressure in the pleural space (the area within the chest cavity but outside the lungs). If air enters the pleural space either by a hole in the lung or the chest wall, the pressure in the pleural space equals the pressure outside the body. So basically, the "vacuum" is lost and the lung collapses. So this is likely not related to the hyperaeration.

If you do not feel poorly, I would be careful to not put too much worry into the results of the test readouts. Without knowing what your fasting Blood Glucose was, it'd be hard to tell if you are at any risk for Diabetes, but it does appear they are at least looking into that for you.

I hope this helps.

Best of health to you,

Larry, RRT

Respiratory Therapist

Larry W. Wical, BA-RRT