Respiratory Therapist/Bronchitis

Question
Good Morning Doc,

Just to fill you on all the details. I am a 30 y/o male, 200 lbs caucasion male. I drink a few drink a few drinks a month, as well as a few cigerettes a month as well. Here are the issues Im having:

About 10 days ago, I started getting really congested, coughing up thick yellow stuff and running a fever. I used Mucinex D and Motrin/Tylenol for the fever. After a few days of not getting better, I ended up going to the Doctors. They performed a Chest X-Ray as well as a FLU swab, which both came back negative. Thats where I got Diagnosed with a URI and Sinusitis. I was put on Augmentin 875MG and given a Aubuteral Inhaler.

Fast forward to today(10 Days after initial Sickness), Fever has been done for 6 days, but Im still congested really bad. The coughing has went down and is not nearly as bad. The problem I am haing now is when I woke up to cough out some of the congestion in my chest, I coughed up some blood streaks along with the yellow mucus. It kind of startled and scared me. Is this normal with being sick with an infection? I feel 10 times better than when i first got sick, but I am concerned. I also have a deviated septum with a little post nasal drip as well. Could the Augmentin cause this as well? The chest xray came back clear, but what would be my next step. Please, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Answer
Hi Scott,

Thank you for trusting me with your personal health question today. Blood streaks in your mucus are not uncommon, usually they will show up if you have had some pretty intense coughing fits that caused some tiny capillaries in your throat to bleed. Or, if your sinusitis is a particularly rough bout, you may have a little bit of bloody drainage that is leaking to the back of your throat, then when the leakage causing you to cough, it comes out in the mucus that way. I wouldn't worry too much about it, as long as your fever is gone you should be on the upswing. Chest x-rays will typically be clean when you have an URI, because the sickness hasn't really worked its way down into the chest at all. Augmentin isn't generally going to cause any unexpected surprises like bleeding.

Just drink LOTS of water and real fruit juice (not the "from concentrate" stuff), take a high-quality multivitamin for Men (like GNC's product or Centrum), and stay hydrated and you should be feeling better soon. I hope this helps.

Best of health to you!

Larry, RRT

Respiratory Therapist

Larry W. Wical, BA-RRT