Respiratory Therapist/Pneumonia

Last Monday (February 11, 2013) I was diagnosed with pneumonia shown on my chest xray with patchy infiltrates in my left upper lobe lung (which was the area I experienced pain when inhaling). My doctor said that it is bacterial. She mentioned that a small portion of my left upper lobe lung was infected. It wasn't that much.I was given azithromicyn antibiotic and stayed home for one week from work. The area that caused me pain when inhaling no longer caused me pain after taking the antibiotics, although my chest continued to feel tight. I went back to work this week and I started to experience pain in that area again and my chest still feels tight.... I am an administrative assistant. I have been using my arms a lot this week, and a bit of lifting light things... Ive been taking it pretty easy this week.I recently turned 23 and am otherwise healthy. Ur insight and any feedback would be great. Also, I was wondering if all pneumonia result in lung scarring? Is it possible to get lung scarring when only a small area of my lungs are infected? what do u think?

Hi Mary,

Thank you for trusting me with your personal health-related question, and my apologies for the delay in responding to your question. Pneumonia can be a tough illness to bounce back from because it is generally a bacterial infection that attacks both the lungs as well as the body's immune system. Pneumonia can result in some scarring, but this scarring is not necessarily permananent, and can resolve over time as you heal. My feeling is if you followed the physician's orders and have been taking care of yourself, you will recover just fine.

Best of health to you!

Larry, RRT

Respiratory Therapist

Larry W. Wical, BA-RRT

I CAN answer: ALL questions and queries related to the following topics... - Oxygen - Asthma - COPD - Bronchitis - Emphysema - Pneumonia (Viral/Bacterial) - Tuberculosis (TB) - SARS - Influenza (Flu) - Vaccines - Pulmonary Embolism - Pleural Effusion - Atelectasis - Inhalation injuries (burns, chemicals, etc.) - PFTs - Cardiovascular health - Sleep Apnea - BiPap/CPAP - Ventilators (Respirators) - Aspiration injuries - Thoracic injuries - Lung contusions - Tracheal injuries - Artificial Tracheostomy - Secretions - Prolotherapy/Regenerative Injection Therapy (RIT): A patient's experience/perspective - General health and fitness - Prolotherapy (from a patient's perspective) I CANNOT answer: Questions that vary too far from my primary scope of pulmonary and cardiovascular care and fitness. I promise to be open and honest about my knowledge of submitted topics, and will always openly provide my personal as well as professional feedback as it relates.

Registered Respiratory Therapist (RRT, RCP) since 2005. I have worked primarily in the acute care, critical care, burn care and home care settings.

NBRC - National Board of Respiratory Care AARC - American Association of Respiratory Care

-All About Kids Magazine -The Clermont Sun -Cincy Sports & Fitness Magazine -Many online Fitness and Health blogs and "webazines"

- B.A. in Communication (1997) - A.A.S. in Respiratory Science (2005) - RRT license (state of OH, KY and IN) - Basic Life Saving (BLS) - Advanced Cardiovascular Life Support (ACLS) - Advanced Burn Life Support (ABLS)

Currently work in the city's largest academic/research hospital.