Respiratory Therapist/Pulmonary Hypertension

Just had a right heat cath. and diagnosed with pulmonary Hypertension. Are there groups or stages for the pressure.I have a reading of 49 when the RHC was done. Would this be Moderate or High?

In PH, usually the hemodynamic number we are looking at is the PAP, or the Pulmonary Artery Pressure. It refers to the pressure in the pulmonary artery (the vessels that take blood through the lungs). Like with the blood pressure measurement on your arm (systemic blood pressure) there is the top number (systolic) and the bottom number (diastolic). The "normal" pressures in the lungs are about 25/8. 25 is the systolic PAP.  These pressures can only be measured by floating a catheter in the vessels (right heart cathetertization), which obviously you have already had done. IF it is definitely your Systolic PAP that is 49, I would certainly say that is "High" and cause for concern.

What did your doctor say about this 49, in terms of its level of seriousness and how he proposes to treat it?

Larry, RRT  

Respiratory Therapist

Larry W. Wical, BA-RRT

I CAN answer: ALL questions and queries related to the following topics... - Oxygen - Asthma - COPD - Bronchitis - Emphysema - Pneumonia (Viral/Bacterial) - Tuberculosis (TB) - SARS - Influenza (Flu) - Vaccines - Pulmonary Embolism - Pleural Effusion - Atelectasis - Inhalation injuries (burns, chemicals, etc.) - PFTs - Cardiovascular health - Sleep Apnea - BiPap/CPAP - Ventilators (Respirators) - Aspiration injuries - Thoracic injuries - Lung contusions - Tracheal injuries - Artificial Tracheostomy - Secretions - Prolotherapy/Regenerative Injection Therapy (RIT): A patient's experience/perspective - General health and fitness - Prolotherapy (from a patient's perspective) I CANNOT answer: Questions that vary too far from my primary scope of pulmonary and cardiovascular care and fitness. I promise to be open and honest about my knowledge of submitted topics, and will always openly provide my personal as well as professional feedback as it relates.

Registered Respiratory Therapist (RRT, RCP) since 2005. I have worked primarily in the acute care, critical care, burn care and home care settings.

NBRC - National Board of Respiratory Care AARC - American Association of Respiratory Care

-All About Kids Magazine -The Clermont Sun -Cincy Sports & Fitness Magazine -Many online Fitness and Health blogs and "webazines"

- B.A. in Communication (1997) - A.A.S. in Respiratory Science (2005) - RRT license (state of OH, KY and IN) - Basic Life Saving (BLS) - Advanced Cardiovascular Life Support (ACLS) - Advanced Burn Life Support (ABLS)

Currently work in the city's largest academic/research hospital.