Respiratory Therapist/Quiet respiratory equipment for the home

Hello.  My mother has a trach.  She has an oxygen concentrator, a suction machine, a small nebulizer that is used 3 times a day, and the air compressor supplying humidity to her trach mask.  The air compressor is by Precision and is called Easy Air.  It is a tabletop model with a refillable cup for distilled water.  It needs to be set at 28 to keep her lungs moist.  The air compressor is extremely loud.  So loud, that we cannot hear her cough if we are not in the same room.  Do you have any recommendations as to a quieter brand or unit?  We really need your advice.  Thanks.

Hi Cindy,
I can certainly sympathize with your situation. Most respiratory equipment is quite noisy, but for compressors that must run continuously it is especially bad. Many of the ones we use are also unacceptable and I do not know why more patients do not complain about the noise.

A couple of models that are supposed to be pretty quiet are Timeter PCS 414 which has a 50 decibel noise level and the Devilbiss Heavy Duty Breathing Compressor which has a 51 decibel noise level. Both of these companies have been around a very long time and generally have quality products.

I noticed the Precision Easy Air did not advertise that it is quiet and gives no decibel level, but from what you said I can see why.

At any rate it is best to stay 50 decibels or less, the lower the better. Forty decibels is considered pretty silent as for as compressors go.

If you can give me a couple of days I will try to find the quietest possible model for you.  

Respiratory Therapist

Stephanie Tyrrell

Respiratory Therapy is a very diverse field encompassing many specialty areas. I have experience in many of these areas and I am willing to answer any question I feel competent to answer within the scope of my experience in the following areas: neonatal ICU and transport, pulmonary rehabilitation, sleep studies, BiPAP/CPAP therapy, Holter monitoring, EKG, ventilator management, chronic and acute respiratory diseases,(i.e. COPD, asthma, restrictive disease, ARDS (acute respiratory distress syndrome), pneumonia, etc) and therapeutics, arterial blood gases, and others. Please see my profile under Experience for a full listing of areas of experience.

I have worked in respiratory therapy for over 25 years in all facets of patient care including level 4 neonatal ICU and neonatal transport, Director of Cardiopulmonary, community health fairs and networking, staff therapist, pulmonary rehabilitation, sleep studies and BiPAP/CPAP therapy, Holter monitoring, EKG, cardiac clinics, pre and post cardiac surgery education and patient care, emergency and long-term ventilator management, chronic diseases such as COPD, asthma, cystic fibrosis; acute respiratory distress syndrome, emergency room, home and nursing home respiratory care. I also provided temporary staff to area hospitals through an allied health business I owned and managed, while also working as a staff therapist for the business.

Certified Respiratory Therapist, Registered Respiratory Therapist, Licensed RT, NRP ((Neonatal Resuscitation Program) certified, BS Biology/Botany, MS Environmental Sciences - Toxicology

Thousands of in-patient and out-patient clients in the hospitals I was/am employed by as well as a number of local hospitals that utilized the services of my allied health business. I currently work as a respiratory therapist at a general hospital and a rehabilitation hospital.