Respiratory Therapist/Respiratory issue.

Hello Sir,

Thank you very much for volunteering for this site. I am a 31 y/o male, Family History of High Cholestoral(Dad) and Bladder Cancer(Brother). No Smoking, Occasional Drinker.

The issue I am having is the past 2 weeks, I have been dealing with this upper respiratory issue. I have been coughing up green/Yellow phlegm, Post nasal Drip, runny nose and cough (No Fever). I went to the Doctors to where they performed a CBC and Chest X-Ray. Chest X-ray was negative and CBC showed slight increase in BASOPHILS 2.7(0-2 is normal). I was prescribed Mucinex D, Claritin, Motrin and Saline spray. He said that it did not warrent Antibiotics at this time. That was the first week. This week, The green and yellow went away for the most part, my nose cleared up, but now I am dealing with a Dry Cough and a Hoarse Voice(I assume this is from coughing alot). With this being said, how long will this dry cough last? I feel that it in my throat, not in my chest as I dont feel any type of rattling or respiratory discomfort. Is this because my vocal cords may be swollen, which is given me a sensation to cough? Its like a tickle in the back of my throat that I can not get out, but the coughing is non stop at night. Last question is, what would you recommend me take for this issue? Thank you very much for your valuable time.

Hi Scott,

Thanks for trusting me with your personal medical questions today. The hoarseness and pain in your throat is likely from the irritation from clearing your throat and coughing over a long period of time. It will likely only last 3-4 days, if even that. Just be sure to drink plenty of fresh water to stay hydrated, and most patients just take a little bit of Tylenol of Advil for the pain until it subsides.  I hope this helps.

Larry, RRT

Respiratory Therapist

Larry W. Wical, BA-RRT

I CAN answer: ALL questions and queries related to the following topics... - Oxygen - Asthma - COPD - Bronchitis - Emphysema - Pneumonia (Viral/Bacterial) - Tuberculosis (TB) - SARS - Influenza (Flu) - Vaccines - Pulmonary Embolism - Pleural Effusion - Atelectasis - Inhalation injuries (burns, chemicals, etc.) - PFTs - Cardiovascular health - Sleep Apnea - BiPap/CPAP - Ventilators (Respirators) - Aspiration injuries - Thoracic injuries - Lung contusions - Tracheal injuries - Artificial Tracheostomy - Secretions - Prolotherapy/Regenerative Injection Therapy (RIT): A patient's experience/perspective - General health and fitness - Prolotherapy (from a patient's perspective) I CANNOT answer: Questions that vary too far from my primary scope of pulmonary and cardiovascular care and fitness. I promise to be open and honest about my knowledge of submitted topics, and will always openly provide my personal as well as professional feedback as it relates.

Registered Respiratory Therapist (RRT, RCP) since 2005. I have worked primarily in the acute care, critical care, burn care and home care settings.

NBRC - National Board of Respiratory Care AARC - American Association of Respiratory Care

-All About Kids Magazine -The Clermont Sun -Cincy Sports & Fitness Magazine -Many online Fitness and Health blogs and "webazines"

- B.A. in Communication (1997) - A.A.S. in Respiratory Science (2005) - RRT license (state of OH, KY and IN) - Basic Life Saving (BLS) - Advanced Cardiovascular Life Support (ACLS) - Advanced Burn Life Support (ABLS)

Currently work in the city's largest academic/research hospital.