Respiratory Therapist/asthma and phoenix

Question
Hi Larry,

I am moving to Phoenix, AZ to be with family and friends. I had lived in Phoenix 15 years ago and left because of my asthma.
I have recently met a girl who is from Arizona. We live in the midwest now. She wants to move back to phoenix and I do too because my family and her family live there. I have been gone for a long time and want to go back.
However, phoenix almost killed me when I lived there 15 years ago. I got pneumonia and some nasty illnesses living there.

My asthma is bad. And the dust and pollution is bad there too.

Any suggestions? Should I move back and risk my health for my family or move somewhere else and not be near family and save my health?

Its extremely frustrating to live like this.

Thanks, Todd

Answer
Hello Todd,

I am not sure what to suggest to you. MOST people with allergies leave the Midwest to go to Arizona and the other "drier" western states. If you weren't already taking SINGULAIR daily, I would ask your physician about prescribing it for you. It is specifically for asthmatics whose attacks are triggered by allergies - it can work wonders for some patients. Also, consider asking for a SYMBICORT inhaler prescription and an inhaler holding chamber, as this medicine has both a long-acting bronchodilator AND a long-acting anti-inflammatory to keep breathing attacks to a minimum. I would start there... the west is generally knownm as MUCH better for patients with allergies and asthma..unless you venture as far west as L.A., which is not so good with the pollution. haha. :-)

Respiratory Therapist

Larry W. Wical, BA-RRT